All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-02-2007, 06:33 PM

pgamble is on a distinguished road
TyTN --> N95

Hi guys

I've on o2 using a Vodafone v1605 (TyTN) at the moment.
I have the option of switching the TyTN to a N95 on the 9 April when Vodafone get stock - this will be cost free.

It's a hard decision because apart from some irritating QA issues, the TyTN has been superb and exactly what I'd looked for for a long time.

I may end up taking the N95 and go back to too devices - I have a 2750 ipaq running WM5 which may be a stop gap. I have a huge amount of WM s/w.

My concerns with the N95 are data entry - I currently struggle how to see I can be productive without a touch screen or permanent keyboard. Can you guys tell me how you can do significant data entry - what is the experience like ? Also ... how can you navigate the web browser properly ?

If I do go back to a 2 device solution - I will need to use the N95 as a bluetooth 3.5G modem.

Do you know if this will be possible ? The TyTN has a data modem mode which works well ... but I'm not sure about the N95.

Also ... as regard the GPS ... I'm told it will use a standard GPS API - not sure if this is basic NMEA or Sirf binary ... but if this is the case ... I struggle to understand why it can't be used as a Bluetooth GPS ... which I've read it can't be.

I understand no one probably has the device yet .... but you may have far more knowledge of Nokia smartphones than me (I have zero knowledge at the moment of any type of smartphone).

Cheers

Paul.

P.S. It took me years to go from my Psion5 and Psion 5mx to my first WM device (iPAQ 3970) .... and for a long time it was a major dispointment ....it's going to be interesting going back to Symbian :-)

Old 28-02-2007, 08:37 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The N95 has no software that exposes the built-in GPS over Bluetooth to other devices.

I see no reason why such software couldn't be written, but I don't see Nokia ever doing so, because the maps/navigation software are already on the phone (or you could install other apps, if you don't like the built-in versions, once they add support for the built-in GPS).

Why would you want to use the N95 as a Bluetooth GPS module for some other device?

Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I currently have two WM5 devices with circa Ģ300 of paid for s/w including Starmaker Office, PI, CoPilot Live 6 .....

Unbelieveable ALK will not offer me any route to deactivate my WM5 licence and reactivate on the N95 (they expect to release an N95 version shortly). This means I'd need to purchase another completely new licence and my old one will be redundant.

If I end up having one device as a high end data entry focused device and the other with my 3G SIM and GPS .... since the latter (the main phone) will be with me all the time it would be useful to use the 3.5g data and GPS by proxy from the other PDA.

Do you have any thoughts over the real ease of data entry and browser navigation on non touch screen devices like this ?

Cheers

Paul.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
I new TyTn and S60 devices. For me, S60 devices are hardware superior, like DSC and battery, and more user friendly... The main thing that may make choose a TyTn is the screen input, it is mandatory, because any S60 device have not that. The final word, is up to you.

Last edited by nj7; 02-03-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:15 PM

Hi n7

Can you explain what you mean by DSC and battery.

I understood there were worries about the tiny 95mAH battery in the N95 - the TyTN has 1350mAH and lasts 8 + hours with a normal days use - 3.5g mail / web browsing and an hour of call time.

As regard input .... I've never used a device without a touch screen.

Do you only have t9 input on these devices ?
How would you navigate the web browser ?

Cheers

Paul.
Ads

Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgamble View Post
Hi n7

I understood there were worries about the tiny 95mAH battery in the N95 - the TyTN has 1350mAH and lasts 8 + hours with a normal days use - 3.5g mail / web browsing and an hour of call time.

Cheers

Paul.
I wouldn't worry I came from a touchscreen P910i that I had for ages when I switched over to my N93 & I didn't find that it too much hassle moving from a touchscreen because the current Nokia web browser is very good & I find it easy to use.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:19 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi n7

Cheers

Paul.
DSC - Digital Still Camera - On S60 they are always far superior then on WM5 devices. I donīt understand why, is not possible to put the same quality modules of S60 devices on WinMobile, but is a fact.

Battery - Yes, all WM devices have battery with great numbers, like 1350, 1500 mAh, but they donīt last long on my normal use. Because the software is more power hungry, or because touch screen need more power, Iīm not sure, but even a misery battery like Nokia N80, last more with my use, then WMobile, like Qtek S200 or Eten M600.

And, on S60 devices, for me, the fast way to input text, is with T9, better for me then any QWERTY keyboard, like Nokia 9500 or E61 (already tested...).
To navigate, the cursor of the new S60 devices, all S60v3, acts like a mouse, with central click of joystick, acts like left key on the mouses, so no problem to me.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:38 AM

I'm inclined to agree on the camera front. My wifes SE 2mp autofocus is very significantly better that the TyTN 2mp fixed.

Regarding battery life ... I think things have changed.
My last 3 WM devices - iPAQ 3970, iPAQ 4700, TyTN have all lasted for many days on with basic PDA usage.

Then using WiFi or 3.5g on the TyTN I typically get 2 days of (my) normal use.

My normal use would be perhaps 90 minutes of web browsing, 2 Avantgo and 2 Newsbreak syncs, regular pull mail (I don't use push mail at present), 90 mins of calls per day, 60 mins of general mucking about with other apps per
day.

My understanding re early reviews of the N95 is that it may only last for less than one day of the above profile - perhaps half the time the TyTN would.

I'm really not bothered as long as it lasts a 10 hour day as I routinely top up nightly (they are Lithium afterall). If the N95 can't do that ... I would become little more than an irritation regardless of all it's good technical points.

My other concern is around the GPS. I can't understand for the life of me why it wouldn't be possible to use it as a BT GPS passing NMEA API data to another PDA ... but I'm told that is the case.

Also ... the only review of the mapping s/w suggests that for a given trip it is typical that 2.5mg of GPRS data is transferred even if the maps are pre-downloaded over WiFI. Like most people I don't have an unlimited tarrif ... this would make the GPS element unusable except in emergencies.

Like the battery issues, I believe much of this may be pre-release rumours but it is a worry I need qualifying before I switch device.

Paul.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:09 AM

drmadison is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm inclined to agree on the camera front. My wifes SE 2mp autofocus is very significantly better that the TyTN 2mp fixed.

Regarding battery life ... I think things have changed.
My last 3 WM devices - iPAQ 3970, iPAQ 4700, TyTN have all lasted for many days on with basic PDA usage.

Then using WiFi or 3.5g on the TyTN I typically get 2 days of (my) normal use.

My normal use would be perhaps 90 minutes of web browsing, 2 Avantgo and 2 Newsbreak syncs, regular pull mail (I don't use push mail at present), 90 mins of calls per day, 60 mins of general mucking about with other apps per
day.

My understanding re early reviews of the N95 is that it may only last for less than one day of the above profile - perhaps half the time the TyTN would.

I'm really not bothered as long as it lasts a 10 hour day as I routinely top up nightly (they are Lithium afterall). If the N95 can't do that ... I would become little more than an irritation regardless of all it's good technical points.

My other concern is around the GPS. I can't understand for the life of me why it wouldn't be possible to use it as a BT GPS passing NMEA API data to another PDA ... but I'm told that is the case.

Also ... the only review of the mapping s/w suggests that for a given trip it is typical that 2.5mg of GPRS data is transferred even if the maps are pre-downloaded over WiFI. Like most people I don't have an unlimited tarrif ... this would make the GPS element unusable except in emergencies.

Like the battery issues, I believe much of this may be pre-release rumours but it is a worry I need qualifying before I switch device.

Paul.
Regarding downloads even if you load the maps - those are just voices, and are only downloaded once. So in the case of the N95, do it over WiFi for free, and then when you're travelling you can tell it to never hit the network and it will use what is downloaded.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:03 AM

Hi

Thanks for the response.
This is what I thought would logically be the case but my truested friends at pocketgps did a review of the WM version of the s/w. They dumped all the maps over WiFi ... went on a trip .... and logged the GPRS usage for a turn by turn guided journey. The result was 2.5m of data transfer.

The guy apparently then disabled GPRS on his device and tried again. This time, the s/w would not start route guidance until he connected to the data network.

I've not seen any other review of the s/w but the suggestion at the moment is that it is very bandwidth hungry even if data is pre downloaded which makes it sadly next to useless for any non commercial user with an unlimited tariff.

If someone has an N95 that they could test it with to see how it behaves I'd be hugely appreciative.

It seemed like such a compelling capability ... but if it works as it appears to and the N95 as suggested cannot be used as a remote GPS (Bluetooth from another PDA) ... and there is no guarantee of third party support (ALK expect to release CPL6 or 7 on it but won't confirm) .... it won't be much use.

Cheers

Paul.