All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 80

Old 21-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Nokia E90 Communicator arrives - questions please!

Ahem. AllAboutSymbian now has a pre-production E90 and we're keen to answer questions. Fire away in the comments and we'll both answer them below and also build them into a proper FAQ feature in a few days time. On your marks, get set, go!

Read on in the full article.

Old 21-02-2007, 10:47 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
As usual:
1. Battery life under normal use.
2. How good is the camera, compared to N70 or N73. I don't care about resolution, just sharpness and noise level.
3. GSM and WiFi signals' strength.

Sound quality - but I think it's at least like in a 6630. It seems that I don't like N95 anymore

Old 21-02-2007, 10:48 AM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
So, to kick things off, how is the keyboard?

Can you type on it as well as, say, a 9500 or is it more like an XDA Exec "prod and poke"?

How does it sit on the desk? The number of keyboard based devices released recently that wobble when placed flat on the desk is infuriating!

How much free memory is there on start up?

How "snappy" or otherwise does it feel? For example, you're on the home screen and want to start up the calendar (I'm assuming you have data in there like appointments!). How long for the screen to finish drawing the calendar and any appointments for that day?

Cheers,

Bassey

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 21-02-2007, 11:08 AM

tomsky is on a distinguished road
How does navigation with only 2 softkeys feel, compared to the 4 on previous communicators?

Old 21-02-2007, 11:10 AM

SymFranco is on a distinguished road
Question Files & folders

hello,

Does Series 60.3rd ed. on the E90 support a files and folders structure?
If not, is there something akin to it?
Thanks, F

Old 21-02-2007, 11:18 AM

natanlevine is on a distinguished road
1. How do you manage to handle it without passing out in a technolust overdose? Is this possible?
2. How vulnerable does the camera seem to scratchs and dirt? Is the lack of cover an issue?
3. How do normal s60 apps run on the large screen? Are there huge black spaces, or are they somehow stretched?
4. Is the keyboard difficult on left-handed people as the direction key is on the right?
5. Is the music player the same as normal s60 or the newer version?
Thanks and enjoy!

Old 21-02-2007, 11:19 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
A Question?

Will you give it to me, please?

Old 21-02-2007, 11:20 AM

jah is on a distinguished road
Questions:

1. Is the keyboard as rubbish as some commentators are claiming (compared to say the Nokia 9500)?

2. How useful is the full S60 functionality on the main screen (ie does it mean you don't need to open the cam shell as much)?

3. How fast is the UI. The Nokia 9500 was slow when compared to the SE P910.

4. How rubbish is the PIM functionality say compared to UIQ3 and WM5 (native)? Again some commentators say the PIM is very poor compared to other platforms
Ads

Old 21-02-2007, 11:21 AM

marcol is on a distinguished road
Everything GPS. How sensitive is the GPS chip, compatibility with 3rd party nav software, suitability of external screen (is it big enough?) for turn-by-turn navigation in a vehicle, etc.

Thanks!

Old 21-02-2007, 11:33 AM

jojosalami is on a distinguished road
Article 3d card

1) Would you do me a favor and test the system rush evolution demo provided on the nokia n93 page? see if it runs smoothly? I just wanna know if it has a graphics card like n93+n95
2) Compatability with the n93 stuff. the external display of the e90 has a 240X320 resolution... well will java games say on my n93 along with themes etc. all work on the external screen? and please run a 5 minute test on the subject as well. just like use a theme from your n93 or a java game. also if they DO work on the external screen, does that mean they'll work on the internal screen too?
3) Is the video center application present?

PLEASE ANSWER ALL MY QUESTIONS, I HAD LIKE 14 QUESTIONS AND CUT THEM DOWN TO THE MOST IMPORTANT JUST SO THAT I CAN GET THE ANSWERS AND NOT FOR YOU TO FEEL LIKE I'M A PAIN!! PLEASE ANSWER THEM ALL MATE.

Old 21-02-2007, 11:40 AM

gotan is on a distinguished road
I would like to know what the 'out of the box' functionality is like. While i realise this is a pre-production model, what software do you have to install at the moment to make it a useful business tool. I.E. whats missing?

It would be interesting to refer to this list when the production version comes out.

Old 21-02-2007, 12:46 PM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
Skype?

Old 21-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Orophin Anwarunya is on a distinguished road
Congrats on this brief but sweet acquisition.

- How is its size in comparison to the 9500 and 9300i?

- I expect the S60 platform to be faster in reaction in comparison to its S80 predecessors. Can you confirm this?

- How is the GPS functionality implemented?

I look forward to a full preview.

Thank you.

|\__/|
( ^_^)

Old 21-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Before I get into any answers, I just want to stress again that the E90 here is mainly for a hands-on with the form factor and for video previews - the hardware and software are NOT finished.... The questions I can answer are:

>>2. How good is the camera, compared to N70 or N73. I don't care about resolution, just sharpness and noise level.

VERY good camera, as good as the N73? Quite possibly! Here are some stills (full res, watch the file sizes!):
e90still1.jpg, e90still2.jpg

>>So, to kick things off, how is the keyboard?

About as good as the 9300's. Keys smaller and harder to push than on the 9500. Still better than the E61i.... just.

>>How does it sit on the desk? The number of keyboard based devices released recently that wobble when placed flat on the desk is infuriating!

It sits very solidly on the desk, but the hinges on the prototype weren't convincing and the screen rarely sat where I wanted it. This should improve with the real thing.

>>How much free memory is there on start up?

Almost 80MB of RAM

>>How "snappy" or otherwise does it feel? For example, you're on the home screen and want to start up the calendar

Same speed as the N93, the extra screen size doesn't seem to slow it much. So it's quite fast.

>>Comment: How does navigation with only 2 softkeys feel, compared to the 4 on previous communicators?

Awkward, but then it's different. I'm sure you'd get used to it.

>>Does Series 60.3rd ed. on the E90 support a files and folders structure?

Eh? it always has. For document/spreadsheets anyway.

>>Comment: 1. How do you manage to handle it without passing out in a technolust overdose? Is this possible?

I'm on heavy sedation.

>>2. How vulnerable does the camera seem to scratchs and dirt? Is the lack of cover an issue?

Seems ok. My E70 is the same and that's been fine for the last 6 months.

>>3. How do normal s60 apps run on the large screen? Are there huge black spaces, or are they somehow stretched?

Stretched and adapted quite well. Screens to follow tomorrow when I catch my breath.

>>5. Is the music player the same as normal s60 or the newer version?

Newer one.

>>Comment: Will you give it to me, please?

But of course. Address? 8-)

>>2. How useful is the full S60 functionality on the main screen (ie does it mean you don't need to open the cam shell as much)?

Having full S60 outside is wonderful - switching between displays takes a second or so, but then this hasn't been optimised yet - I daresay this will be near instantaneous once it's finished.

>>3. How fast is the UI. The Nokia 9500 was slow when compared to the SE P910.

Same speed as the Nokia N93 or N95 - fast.

>>4. How rubbish is the PIM functionality say compared to UIQ3 and WM5 (native)? Again some commentators say the PIM is very poor compared to other platforms

It'll do me. Psion Agenda lovers will still be crying, no doubt. No categories though, the other usual S60 omission.

>>well. just like use a theme from your n93 or a java game. also if they DO work on the external screen, does that mean they'll work on the internal screen too?

The same themes apply to both screens simultaneously.

>>3) Is the video center application present?

No, but then this isn't final firmware.

I may get round to some of the other questions when I start doing screenshots and playing with software.

Steve Litchfield

Old 21-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Mobilix is on a distinguished road
Comparision

Please compare
- keyboard to 9500/9300 and revo/5mx
- photo and video capabilites to n93/n95
- usability of the PIM and office part to S80 and EPOC

Ciao & thanks
Mobilix