All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-02-2007, 03:34 AM

Nickchooka is on a distinguished road
I cant get NSS to detect my N80!

Hey Guys,

I have been trying for ages to fix this problem but just can't. so i was wondering if anyone here could help me out?

The first thing i did was install the nokia pc suite that came with my n80 then i downloaded NSU and update my phone to firmware version 4.0623.0.42. i did this before getting NSS.

NSS installs 100% but when i click on scan for devices it detects nothing.. even the nokia pc suite detects my n80. i haven't tried using phoenix because i don't have a demonoid account and have nowhere else to get it.

I have also tried uninstalling everything.. installing just nokia pc suite and then nss but it still doesnt detect!

I am on Windows XP with service pack 2 and my N80 is a N80-1 if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys in advance for your help!

Nick

Old 15-02-2007, 08:34 AM

BHLC is on a distinguished road
I had exactly the same problem. I spent ages pulling out what was left of my hair. I couldn't get NSS to recognize the phone at all when using the latest version of PC SUITE, which I think has something to do with the connectivity cable driver it uses.Try this:
Unistall PC Suite.
Go to Add/remove prgrams and look for a "PC connectivity driver" or Cable Connectivity Driver", remove.
Then install NSS, then install the standalone cable connectivity driver click here

NSS should now recognise phone. (it did for me!) Then you can change product code etc etc, and install NSU for firmware flashing to IE (which I presume is the reason you wish to install NSS), then after flash can reinstall PC SUITE.

That's the only way I could get it to work on my system, and it's worked for another person on here that way to. Of course, some of the others may come up with a better, less convoluted suggestions.

Old 15-02-2007, 10:15 AM

Hey BHLC,

Thanks heaps for the info! i tried it without restarting my computer after installing the driver and nss and it didn't detect my phone.. should i restart before installing nss? when installing nss do you choose f1 usb?

Thanks again

Old 15-02-2007, 10:33 AM

Yeah, you can try a restart - and yes, I used F1 USB, if I recall correctly. I don't know that it will make much difference, but after I uninstalled PC Suite and the other driver, I ran Nokia's Cleanup tool, before putting the stand alone driver on.

Available here: http://www.nokia.com/A4144912
Ads

Old 15-02-2007, 11:02 AM

Nope i restarted and did what you said but when i click find devices it just flashes this little square on the screen for a split second then does nothing. oh this is annoying do you think it could be my firmware version? i updated it to the latest version through NSU beforehand. and NSU is also on my computer could that be a problem too?

Thanks again

Old 15-02-2007, 11:51 AM

Yeah - that's what it kept doing to me. I had to install NSU after[ I used NSS.

Old 15-02-2007, 02:55 PM

I just couldnt do it the way you said so i decided to try the virtual usb option. i changed the product code that way and NSU updated!! i think it worked but is there any way you can find out if you have flashed to n80i?? whats the difference as i cant really tell atm... all i know is that the code has changed to 4.0632.0.38

Thanks for all your help!

Old 15-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Congrats! That's the N80ie firmware. You should now find that you have an "internet" folder in your menu, and you you can now set up VOIP telephony and so forth. You should also have the "Wlan Wizard" as part of your active standby screen showing available wireless networks and so forth.

Old 16-02-2007, 01:31 AM

I can see the internet folder but i cant see the WLAN wizard at all.. hmmm

Old 16-02-2007, 01:56 AM

SpeTz is on a distinguished road
WLAN wizard