All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-12-2002, 09:56 PM

anwar is on a distinguished road
does tmobile offer GPRS WAP or GPRS data? r they the same???

soz everyone if this is a stupid qst..... but im trying to use webviewer and according to previous posts u have to set up the phone to use GPRS internet. its kinda easy to set up and use WAP via GPRS, but what about GPRS internet????

so do any tmobile customers in the uk know what the setting are for GPRS internet?

cheers

Old 20-12-2002, 06:16 AM

Dolby is on a distinguished road
I'd actually like to know a similar thing to the last question : do you get different types of GPRS? I'm pn prepaid and my customer care tells me prepaid cannopt use GPRS (which is fine by me), expect when I send an MMS it actually sends via GPRS. Does the sending via GPRS use somethnig slightly different to GPRS?

Also, when I send an MMS the reciever has to download the message (also via GPRS). Does she get charged for using it to retrieve the message on your networks? The customer care here aren't sure, as it's brand new
Ads

Old 20-12-2002, 06:40 AM

sanjay2402 is on a distinguished road
GPRS is a protocol/method of sending and receiving data in packets. The way data is handled makes is faster.

Coming to you question, MMS, WAP also work through GPRS as does the GPRS Internet.

You have to note here, that there are different gateways (Access Points) which serve/ Handle different data types like..say...Gateway 1 for MMS, Gateway 2 for WAP and Gateway 3 for Internet. When u want to use GPRS for internet, your operator will usually authorise/open the traffic on that particular Gateway. Similarly for Wap. Most prepaids will not activated for GPRS Internet.
Since MMS is more like sms, they can be found on most Sims.

If your friend had a Multimedia capable phone, S/he should receive it for free. If ur friend only got a link (this could also be due to inter Operators MMS not linking), obviously the download will be charged.

Hope that helps