All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 PM

elaverick is on a distinguished road
Genuine 4GB Memory Cards on the N80?

Just spotted that Moby Memory are carrying 4GB MiniSD memory cards. They ARE certified for use in the E61... they very definatly don't work on the N73 or N93...

The N80 isn't listed yet tho. Anyone wanting to give it a try

Old 08-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
AHhhh, now thats interesting.

When I bought my 2GB from them before Xmas, the 4GB one was DEFINATELY listed as compatible with the N80.

The removal of the N80 and the addition of NOT FOR NOKIA N73 N93 throws up a question of whether they have had some 4GB cards back saying they dont work and are retesting.

Ive heard that the 4GB ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with the N80. But..... yeah, if anyone wants to try it.... go and head and share the results with us.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:50 PM

knuckleskin is on a distinguished road
Firstly, it should be stated that 4GB mini/SD cards are what are not recognised officially by the SDA, a consortium of companies in control of the SD standard.

So what's happened is that any 4GB such as SanDisk and others have created their own standards whilst trying to be as compatible as possible. SanDisk call it SDHC for their version - remember SD does not stand for SanDisk :P.

But because it is not official it really depends on the software of the device they are in. I think its worth a try if you already have a large capacity card because if it doesn't work, it probably will with a firmware update. But that is a bit of a gamble on a £100+ card.

I think anyone should list their experiences with the new higher capacity cards here, let us know what firmware version you have and what version of the 4gb miniSD card you have.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

yeah, I agree with knuckleskin... any 4GB users should post the experience in this thread.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:20 PM

MortyOslo is on a distinguished road
So even with the newest firmware will Nokia N73 *NEVER* support 4 GB MiniSD cards ??

Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 PM

fdxd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortyOslo
So even with the newest firmware will Nokia N73 *NEVER* support 4 GB MiniSD cards ??
We cant say.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:03 AM

bowman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Right, got my MobyMemory 4gb mini sd this morning and can confirm it doesn't work in my N80 (unbranded, latest firmware). Tried formatting in FAT & FAT32 and it doesn't register it's there. My laptop spots it fine so the card's working ok.

Shame, but I'll be keeping it as I can make use of it in my digi camera (using the supplied minisd to sd adapter). Hopefully it's not a hardware limitation and Nokia can release a firmware update to enable it.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:55 PM

elaverick is on a distinguished road
Ah well it was a nice idea, thanks for trying anway.

Old 19-01-2007, 02:50 AM

homelinc64 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 4 Gb Transcend Nokia N80 no way!!!

Wish I'd read this forum earlier.. I also bought a 4Gb mini Sd card on Ebay. They even advertised the card with a Nokia N80..... But never the less it won't work ever because of the limitations of the firmware. My last update was 13th of october last year. So beware of the eBay sellers saying it does work(Pc2buy i.e.) It does work in the card reader of your computer as mentioned earlier.

Old 19-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

thanks for sharing that info Bowman...

Old 19-01-2007, 07:24 PM

holleboomer is on a distinguished road
miniSD with a capacity over 2GB are special SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity)-cards and won't work untill there has been a FW upgrade.

Old 19-01-2007, 08:59 PM

knuckleskin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelinc64 View Post
Wish I'd read this forum earlier.. I also bought a 4Gb mini Sd card on Ebay. They even advertised the card with a Nokia N80..... But never the less it won't work ever because of the limitations of the firmware. My last update was 13th of october last year. So beware of the eBay sellers saying it does work(Pc2buy i.e.) It does work in the card reader of your computer as mentioned earlier.
You can probably claim because that is false advertising.

I'm quite shocked at the lack of knowledge about the 4GB SDHC problem, I even saw a 4GB touted in a magazine today as if it would work in any device (it won't). I bet SanDisk and the others are rubbing their hands in glee.

I would imagine most phones will be able to use them once Nokia get round to releasing a firmware update.

Interestingly because MMC is not controlled by the SDA (by the MMCA) who made allowances for dramatically increasing capacities, 4GB MMC cards will probably work in the much older N70, although that really depends on whether Nokia anticipated such large cards.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:32 PM

Sinister Dave is on a distinguished road
Just Bought a 4gb miniSD

I have just received a 4gb miniSD from MobyMemory.com and it doesn't work at all in my N80, Samsung Digimax V800 camera or when i try to access it through my Lexmark P4350 printers card slot using the adapter.

When I try to format the card in my N80 it displays that the card is corrupted, is this the error I message I should be receiving if it's simply not supported yet by my firmware which I believe is the most upto date or is the card actually corrupted? The later would explain why it doesn't work in my camera or printer but then again so I presume it's equally likely that the printer and camera don't support the card either.

Any ideas anyone and does anyone know if Nokia are going to release a firmware upgrade to resolve this issue or should I return the card?
Ads

Old 05-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

I dont think the N80 is at all capable of dealing with a memory greater than 2GB... but the fact your card doest read in any device points to the card being faulty.

The most upto date f/w by the way is v 4.07.07.7

Old 05-04-2007, 10:30 PM

Sinister Dave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
I dont think the N80 is at all capable of dealing with a memory greater than 2GB... but the fact your card doest read in any device points to the card being faulty.

The most upto date f/w by the way is v 4.07.07.7
I have just used the Nokia Software Updater and it just upgraded my phone to 4.0623.0.42... I have tried again and it says that I have the most upto date firmware.

Are you sure that 4.07.07.7 is correct and if so how can I get it?

btw my Nokia N80 is (RM-92) if that makes any difference.