All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-12-2006, 06:44 AM

chrisinsiam is on a distinguished road
Smile UNLOCK N80 in Bangkok!! Cheaper than a new phone!!!

Just to let all of you know how I went about getting my Nokia unlocked from the 3 network. I took it to the 3rd floor of MBK mall, in Siam Square, Bangkok.

I asked about unlocking and they all shook their heads, grimmly stating that there was no software available to do this (no harm in asking I guess!).

However, they DID say that here was another way: for 7000 baht (about 105 pounds stirling) they would replace some of the internal components. So, rather than have a useless phone (I refuse to use 3 again - morons...) I paid the money and it works just fine. They even gave it back to me with the N80i system upgrade installed already. Therefore I can now use it as a VoIP phone at home as well as the battery life being MUCH better!!

So, there you go, it IS possible to unlock an N80, it just costs an arm and a leg. However, it WAS cheaper than buying a new phone!

I hope the about information is useful to someone.

Old 22-12-2006, 09:11 AM

DaveLFC is on a distinguished road
I get the feeling that the phone was just unlocked myself. Unless of course they gave you back the old internal parts? No I didn't think so.

Old 22-12-2006, 10:43 AM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinsiam
Just to let all of you know how I went about getting my Nokia unlocked from the 3 network. I took it to the 3rd floor of MBK mall, in Siam Square, Bangkok.

I asked about unlocking and they all shook their heads, grimmly stating that there was no software available to do this (no harm in asking I guess!).

However, they DID say that here was another way: for 7000 baht (about 105 pounds stirling) they would replace some of the internal components. So, rather than have a useless phone (I refuse to use 3 again - morons...) I paid the money and it works just fine. They even gave it back to me with the N80i system upgrade installed already. Therefore I can now use it as a VoIP phone at home as well as the battery life being MUCH better!!

So, there you go, it IS possible to unlock an N80, it just costs an arm and a leg. However, it WAS cheaper than buying a new phone!

Ok .. I booked my round trip flight to Bangkok...Oh wait a minute.. I can buy 4 sim free N80's for that.....

Just Joking

Old 22-12-2006, 02:33 PM

dunarea is on a distinguished road
I presume the network code would be stored in some kind of ROM on the phone, so someone with the right knowledge should be able to to something about this, probably replacing one of the chips on the phone...

Old 22-12-2006, 04:08 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinsiam

Personally, I don't think they unlocked your phone, but instead replaced the chip or motherboard that provides the locking functionality. However, well done and I agree it's cheaper than biuying a new phone... just!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 AM

chrisinsiam is on a distinguished road
That was the only way, back then.

Hi,

Yes, they gave me back the board they removed. Back then, that was the only way of doing it. It's a shame that, when I was trying to helpful to others, there was one post by DaveLFC, trying to one-up me and show how smart he is. I bow down to your wealth of knowledge.

Anyway, yes, of course there are other ways of unlocking N80s now, but why would you want to when there are some many other better phones on the market now?!

Just get an iPhone.......

DaveLFC, you're a knob.