All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-12-2006, 08:22 PM

RickyS is on a distinguished road
Question where to store apps (card or phone memory)?

so, newbie question: i bought a 2 GB miniSD card for my E70 I'm assuming I should erase and reinstall in the card all the apps that I had running in the phone's memory, so as to leave it free for the OS to use... Am I right? Or it won't make any difference?

thanks
ricky

Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
I install everything generally on the memory card (I don't swap cards, so they're always available). If for some reason a badly written app should cause trouble, you can always yank the card out.

The phone memory access is probably slightly faster, though, so for some apps there might be a benefit/impact in installing there, instead.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:33 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyS
so, newbie question: i bought a 2 GB miniSD card for my E70 I'm assuming I should erase and reinstall in the card all the apps that I had running in the phone's memory, so as to leave it free for the OS to use... Am I right? Or it won't make any difference?
Won't make any difference. All you need is to have at least 4 or 5MB left on your phone memory so that applications can store their settings files, data files... (your SMS and emails are also stored on the phone memory unless you changed that in Messaging' settings so you need to have some space left for them). But freeing more memory on your phone's memory won't make any difference, won't make the system any faster anyway. In fact, as N/A said, storing your applications on the memory card can make them slighly slower (depends on your card i guess).

I usually install all the essential apps (those that i use extensively) on the phone memory and all the others on the memory card.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:51 PM

RickyS is on a distinguished road
OK... I was under the impression that it would free shared resources (as if it were RAM and a hard disk in a PC)...

What happens when I'm browsing the web, opening a large file, or multitasking? won't the phone benefit from free internal memory?

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2006, 10:27 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyS
OK... I was under the impression that it would free shared resources (as if it were RAM and a hard disk in a PC)...

What happens when I'm browsing the web, opening a large file, or multitasking? won't the phone benefit from free internal memory?
Nope. Symbian, just like PCs, has a separate RAM memory module which is independant from the storage memory where you install your apps and where the appications store their settings and data files. This is different from early Pocket PCs (and maybe current ones as well) that AFAIK only had RAM and therefore used RAM for both storing applications and files and running applications.

Having too little storage memory left on your E70 (say only a few dozens of KB left) might cause applications to fail saving their settings or other data or might cause your phone to be unable to receive SMS or emails but will not cause the system and applications to run any slower. I suppose that the Web Browser uses the storage memory for its cache so if there isn't any memory left on your phone, it might effectively slow it down as it wouldn't be able to use cache (but we're talking about maybe 1MB or so of memory for the Web browser's cache).
Ads