All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-12-2006, 09:20 PM

cdforduk is on a distinguished road
P990i Battery life

My new P990i ( Orange ) died from almost full charge yesterday in 5 hours
Did it again today !!!

I was away from home so only had the USB cable supplied with the phone not the mains charger
Plugged this into a USB adaptor which goes into the Cigar lighter on my car & it would not charge the phone
Plugged it into a USB port on a PC at my customer's site & it would not charge the phone until I loaded the drivers.... Never had to do this with the P900...
This worked but took ages to charge
I connected it dead at around 0930 & it had not fully charged by the time I left the site at 1230

Is this normal ?
Must admit I am not very happy with it..
Why did Sony Ericsonn change the connector ?
I have a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth headset which uses the old ( long established ) connector so now I have to carry both...
Great phone ( apart from issues with the BlackBerry Client , see my other threads )
But at the end of the day If I cant get 24 Hours battery life its going in the bin..

Interested to know if anyone else has seen similar behavior.

Regards

Chris D Ford

Old 13-12-2006, 06:32 AM

kingrob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdforduk
My new P990i ( Orange ) died from almost full charge yesterday in 5 hours
Did it again today !!!

I was away from home so only had the USB cable supplied with the phone not the mains charger
Plugged this into a USB adaptor which goes into the Cigar lighter on my car & it would not charge the phone
Plugged it into a USB port on a PC at my customer's site & it would not charge the phone until I loaded the drivers.... Never had to do this with the P900...
This worked but took ages to charge
I connected it dead at around 0930 & it had not fully charged by the time I left the site at 1230

Is this normal ?
Must admit I am not very happy with it..
Why did Sony Ericsonn change the connector ?
I have a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth headset which uses the old ( long established ) connector so now I have to carry both...
Great phone ( apart from issues with the BlackBerry Client , see my other threads )
But at the end of the day If I cant get 24 Hours battery life its going in the bin..

Interested to know if anyone else has seen similar behavior.

Regards

Chris D Ford
I'm on my third day with my P990i & the battery level is 59%. Here is what I did :

1. Charged the phone the first time for 4 hours. 'Played' with it till the battery was at 0% and the phone switched off. Then I charged it for 5 hours & let it the battery run down again. Third time I charged it for six hours and now I'm on day 3 with 59%.

2. I changed '3G & GSM' to 'GSM Only' under Settings > Control Panel > Connections > Mobile Networks - 3G sucks your battery dry in no time.

3. Changed the 'backlight' from the default 90% brightness to 65%.

Hope it helps, my P990i runs like a champ.

*There is talk that there's a new Sony battery on the market, the BST-34...

Old 15-12-2006, 11:30 AM

SJR is on a distinguished road
kingrob has the answer!

If you are in a poor 3G signal-strength area, the P990 keeps searching for a 3G connection - this is VERY heavy drain on the battery.

Rule is: if you do not need 3G or are in a poor signal-strength area - SWITCH IT OFF!!!

Steve
Ads