All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-12-2006, 09:28 AM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by micscave
Hey cash
tried to flash my mates N80 today, got to 100% then says flash failed. Now it's dead. It says in the reaper guide that there are dead flash instructions but I can't get them to open. Any ideas ?

Cheers
Hi Mic,

Sorry I cant help here .. I have had no experience with bricking a phone and then having to remedy, all the phones I flashed so far have thankfully flashed first time and OK, So I cant really advise on what you need to do.

There are others here who have managed to bring their dead phones to life .. I think Dez has some experience with this and I am sure he or others can advise better than me ...

Hope you get it working

Old 05-12-2006, 10:19 AM

ag is on a distinguished road
Another successful update

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Just managed to flash my phone with 0539363 EURO 1 Pearl Black Internet Edition. Havent started using it yet but hopefully everything works. The # key still works to switch to/from Silent/Normal profiles.

One question (or obervation) - instructions say that the phone has (or recommended) to be fully charged. I was charging my unit using a USB charger and forgot to remove it when i started the flashing process - i hope it hasnt somehow wrecked anything inside. So far everything still works.

Thanks again Cash - you rock!!!!

Old 05-12-2006, 10:28 AM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag
Thanks for the detailed instructions. Just managed to flash my phone with 0539363 EURO 1 Pearl Black Internet Edition. Havent started using it yet but hopefully everything works. The # key still works to switch to/from Silent/Normal profiles.

One question (or obervation) - instructions say that the phone has (or recommended) to be fully charged. I was charging my unit using a USB charger and forgot to remove it when i started the flashing process - i hope it hasnt somehow wrecked anything inside. So far everything still works.

Thanks again Cash - you rock!!!!

Cheers ag

I dont think anything would be damaged inside your phone...I think its just incase there may be a power surge or something that would disrupt the flashing process..

Now you need to get truphone to take advantage of the N80i ..

Old 05-12-2006, 12:30 PM

Maarten is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Hi,
I can't change the operation mode to normal (in phoenix).
So I can't update my phone... because it's in the wrong operation mode.

Can anyone help me please??

Old 05-12-2006, 01:28 PM

mcsleazycrisps is on a distinguished road
Leave the SIM in, phone on and on General.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:31 PM

Maarten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders
Try a hard reset

Power off the phone
Hold GREEN, 3 and *
Power on phone and wait 30 seconds (still holding the three buttons above)
I also tried to flash my phone, at 80% I got an connection error message. Now my N80 is dead.

I tried to reset my phone as you suggested. But it didn't help.

Are there any other solutions???

Old 05-12-2006, 02:55 PM

ag is on a distinguished road
Got Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash
Cheers ag

I dont think anything would be damaged inside your phone...I think its just incase there may be a power surge or something that would disrupt the flashing process..

Now you need to get truphone to take advantage of the N80i ..
Cool. I've got Gizmo on and tested - lags a little but otherwise ok. Not as good as Skype i feel but since Skype isnt on the N80, it's as good as i can get now. Only challenge now is to get my mates to get on Gizmo so I can benefit from it. At the moment, everyone's on Skype.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:02 PM

livfc is on a distinguished road
For those who have bricked their phone, I successfully revived mine by following the guide by WPKenny on this url http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...t=53110&page=4. I used is modified instructions and not the ones given in the PDF. Now have a fully working N80 IE

Old 06-12-2006, 07:55 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten
I also tried to flash my phone, at 80% I got an connection error message. Now my N80 is dead.

Unfortunately because the flash failed at 80% instead of 100%, your phone is almost certainly now in a condition that only trained Nokia Service Engineers can repair.

If you got your phone through a UK Network contract, phone your mobile operator and just claim it stopped working. They will advise you what their returns process is, or tell you where your nearest Nokia Care Centre is located.

Provided you have the original invoice or despatch note for the handset, the repair will be free of charge. If you bought the phone off eBay contact the seller and ask them if they are willing to send you the original invoice, or have the handset repeaired on your behalf.

Alternatively,... older versions of Phoenix contained a dead-phone flash function. I still have the setup files for Phoenix 2004 and could upload them to rapidshare for you tonight. However i am not 100% sure if this version (a) has the Dead Flash Mode and (b) supports the N80. It's up to you if you want to try or not. I doubt you can make the N80 any more dead than it already is.

Best of luck!

Last edited by dez_borders; 06-12-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:39 AM

kh0sa is on a distinguished road
I cant get the NSS program to change the product code... I know ratkat says its not necessary, but considering that I'm UNABLE to do it I'm worried that I shouldn't go on until I'm atleast able to perform this step.

Anyone?

Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 AM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Hi!

I have the same problem too, Nemesis wont detect my N80. When installing Nemesis I can not see USB drivers to be installed. Any ideas?

Regards,

HiH

Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 AM

kreso is on a distinguished road
Flash my N80 lat night. All seems to work OK. It was lock free (01). Now it is N80I PB (01)
EDIT: I did not change the CODE with NSS. Phoenix warn about it and modify the code
during the proccess

Old 06-12-2006, 11:11 AM

YTEASE is on a distinguished road
Just thought i'd mention. If you have previously flashed the firmware before, to remove previous firmwares from your computer, Thus eliminating the chance of phoenix not selecting the right combination of files

Old 06-12-2006, 11:42 AM

pobz is on a distinguished road
Sucessfull flash here too,
Many thanks for guide & links!

Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten

Cash.

Something that it might be worth adding your guide

'Once you have connected your phone via pop port/usb to your computer, don't under any circumstances touch or move the phone or usb lead until the flashing is complete'

Nokia 'Pop Port' is a very poor connection method and the slightest movement can disconnect it, thankfully the forthcoming N95 is moving to the much more reliable 'mini USB'

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Last edited by Ratkat; 06-12-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Ads