All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N80

Old 20-11-2006, 02:36 AM

4Site is on a distinguished road
Best Quality Video Conversion Guide For N80/N73

Video Conversion Guide For N80/N73

Part 1: Information
Part 2: Conversion Guide
Part 3: Disk Space Usage
Part 4: Hints and Tips

PART 1: INFORMATION

A lot of people are being misinformed and mislead into using inferior quality codecs when converting videos for using on their NSeries phones.

There are two big issues. Firstly people are being advised to use a third party applications/programs like SmartMovie or DivX Player to use with their AVI format videos...

*FAMILY FORTUNES INCORRECT SOUND EFFECT*
WRONG!!!

Even lower end laptops struggle to smoothly play full screen AVI format videos so expecting this from a phone that has a hundred other features fighting for resources is a completely wrong way of thinking. Yea sure all them original state AVIs on your computer will play using these apps but unless you like stuttering audio and unwatchable frame rates of something like 2 frames per second, these files need to be converted into a more mobile friendly state and here in lies the issue. If CONVERSION IS MANDATORY why not use the standard built in video player and put less pressure on the ever unstable resources of your NSeries phone… QUALITY!! I HEAR YOU SCREAM.

…AGAIN

This is where people make the 2nd mistake. People confuse formats and conversion codecs. The NSeries out of the box player for videos is the Real Player which supports Real Media formats (confusing and difficult conversion), 3GPP (crap quality), MP4 STANDARD (file size and quality issues) and MP4 AVC. People who I have seen in video conversion topics on this board have not always been been able to distinguish between the various formats. The Mp4 AVC is a high quality / low bandwith / low file size format that’s been made the Official Standard for Digital Video which means from now on it will be used in almost everything to do with digital media (unless a megalomaniac behemoth is involved *cough* Microsoft *cough*). The advantages of this format are obvious, amazing quality video, low file size. I’ve noticed people using the lower quality 3GPP and MP4 Standard codecs to convert files which is like your NSeries phone being a DVD player but you choosing to play VCDs on it only.

Unless your struggling for disk space there is only one logical choice. Converting your videos into a format that’s high quality, playable as standard on your NSeries phone.

Part 2: CONVERSION GUIDE

To convert your video files into the best format playable out of the box on your NSeries phone you need three things.

- eRight Super
(Advanced Video Converter, Freeware, LINK: http://updat4.free.fr/AD93AFC5EB9F4D...SUPERsetup.exe)

- The Super NSeries AVC Profile
(Created By Yours Truly, Attached To This Post, LINK AT BOTTOM OF POST)

- Video You Wish To Convert
(obviously lol)

1) Once you’ve installed Super and extracted the profile to somewhere on your hard drive start up Super.

2) Import the Profile (which tells Super what settings to use) by right clicking anywhere on Super’s Main Window and select "Import (Load) An External Super © Profile" and directing Super to where you extracted the Profile and selecting it.

3) Select the video file to be converted, right click anywhere on Super’s Main Window and select "Add Multimedia File(s)” then direct Super to the video file you wish to use and select it.

4) Click on the “Encode” button and wait until Super finishes the task (PLEASE NOTE: The Progress bar which shows up is for display purposes only it does not function so it will keep restarting)

5) Transfer the file from the “Output Folder Destination” (usually “c:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\OutPut”) to your phone using your usual method.

6) HEY PRESTO. You should now be able to play the video file in Gallery under Images & Videos.

Part 3: Disk Space Usage

An hour episode of something like Lost or Prison Break is about 140mb with the original settings from the profile. With a fast 2GB memory card goin for around £30-40 its worth getting one if you aint got one cause the quality is really comparable with lower end portable DVD players.

You can reduce the sound quality to mono by selecting "Channels" as "1" instead of "2" this usually reduces the file size by about 15% without much reduction on quality.

You can also set the "Bitrate kbps" to "228" instead of "336" this reduces the file size between 10-20% without any apparent quality loss.

Part 4: TINTS & TIPS

I've come across a bug in Super thats unrelated to the settings above. Sometimes the program randomly produces a corrupt file that will not be deteced on your phone in the Gallery. When this happens it lets u kno there was an error in red text under the audio section just delete the the file produced and start encoding again. Its a software bug which will get fixed next release seems this happens if a screen saver starts up or the computer goes into stand by mode so disabling these before conversion for larger files such as movies is recommended.
When playing videos back on your phone try not to have a lot of apps running at the same time as this reduces performance.

If you spot any mistakes, have any problems or wanna make a comment feel free to post them here.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Super_NSeries_AVC_Profile.zip (728 Bytes, 3581 views)

Last edited by 4Site; 06-12-2006 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Updated Link For Super

Old 20-11-2006, 12:04 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
your settings didnt work for me, I tried a couple movies that I have already previously converted with smartmovie (so I know they should convert ok), and I keep getting error, both movies are in the output folder, and I transfer them to my phone, and neither realplayer or smartmivies can find them, when I locate them with the file system and try to open I get message that its not recognised...

I think I will stick with smartmovies, there is already an N80 profile in the program that works really well..

Cheers any way ..

Old 20-11-2006, 12:18 PM

Really have you got a screen shot of your Super window cause these settings work perfectly for me.

Old 20-11-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Site
Really have you got a screen shot of your Super window cause these settings work perfectly for me.
I will convert another file later when I have more time and take a screen shot to post ..

Old 20-11-2006, 03:51 PM

Cyclone is on a distinguished road
I tried it and the quality of the converted film was good. Thank you

Old 20-11-2006, 04:46 PM

Ok I tried these settings on another computer with the same files and it worked fine, and quality is very good indeed, I think I must have something conflicting on the first computer I tried.

Thanks for settings, will use these from now on ..

Old 20-11-2006, 05:07 PM

jambo98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Site
PIN PLEASE

Video Conversion Guide For N80/N73

Part 1: Information
Part 2: Conversion Guide
Part 3: Hints and Tips

PART 1: INFORMATION

A lot of people are being misinformed and mislead into using inferior quality codecs when converting videos for using on their NSeries phones.

There are two big issues. Firstly people are being advised to use a third party applications/programs like SmartMovie or DivX Player to use with their AVI format videos...

WRONG!!!

Even lower end laptops struggle to smoothly play full screen AVI format videos so expecting this from a phone that has a hundred other features fighting for resources is a completely wrong way of thinking. Yea sure all them original state AVIs on your computer will play using these apps but unless you like stuttering audio and unwatchable frame rates of something like 2 frames per second, these files need to be converted into a more mobile friendly state and here in lies the issue. If CONVERSION IS MANDATORY why not use the standard built in video player and put less pressure on the ever unstable resources of your NSeries phone… QUALITY!! I HEAR YOU SCREAM.

…AGAIN

This is where people make the 2nd mistake. People confuse formats and conversion codecs. The NSeries out of the box player for videos is the Real Player which supports Real Media formats (confusing and difficult conversion), 3GPP (crap quality), MP4 STANDARD (file size and quality issues) and MP4 AVC. People who I have seen in video conversion topics on this board have not always been been able to distinguish between the various formats. The Mp4 AVC is a high quality / low bandwith / low file size format that’s been made the Official Standard for Digital Video which means from now on it will be used in almost everything to do with digital media (unless a megalomaniac behemoth is involved *cough* Microsoft *cough*). The advantages of this format are obvious, amazing quality video, low file size. I’ve noticed people using the lower quality 3GPP and MP4 Standard codecs to convert files which is like your NSeries phone being a DVD player but you choosing to play VCDs on it only.

Unless your struggling for disk space there is only one logical choice. Converting your videos into a format that’s high quality, playable as standard on your NSeries phone.

Part 2: CONVERSION GUIDE

To convert your video files into the best format playable out of the box on your NSeries phone you need three things.

- eRight Super
(Advanced Video Converter, Freeware, LINK: http://updat1.free.fr/AD93AFC6A3D0FD...SUPERsetup.exe)

- The Super NSeries AVC Profile
(Created By Yours Truly, Attached To This Post, LINK AT BOTTOM OF POST)

- Video You Wish To Convert
(obviously lol)

1) Once you’ve installed Super and extracted the profile to somewhere on your hard drive start up Super.

2) Import the Profile (which tells Super what settings to use) by right clicking anywhere on Super’s Main Window and select "Import (Load) An External Super © Profile" and directing Super to where you extracted the Profile and selecting it.

3) Select the video file to be converted, right click anywhere on Super’s Main Window and select "Add Multimedia File(s)” then direct Super to the video file you wish to use and select it.

4) Click on the “Encode” button and wait until Super finishes the task (PLEASE NOTE: The Progress bar which shows up is for display purposes only it does not function so it will keep restarting)

5) Transfer the file from the “Output Folder Destination” (usually “c:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\OutPut”) to your phone using your usual method.

6) HEY PRESTO. You should now be able to play the video file in Gallery under Images & Videos.

Part 3 : TINTS & TIPS

File sizes are usually about 70mb for 30 minutes of video,
Quality is superb.

When playing videos try not to have a lot of apps running at the same time as this reduces performance.

If you spot any mistakes, have any problems or wanna make a comment feel free to post them here.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the application,
Converted a movie file (Pink Panther) and I have to say that the picture quality is the best I have seen yet on this phone. I have tried IMTOO convertor and Smartmovie and this beats them hands down. My only gripe is that the file size is quite large 311 mb. What settings could I change to bring the file size down a little without affecting the quality.
Ads

Old 21-11-2006, 12:55 PM

gakman is on a distinguished road
Sorry to moan on my first post, but i can still get MUCH better results from smartmovie than with the settings described above, have you actually tried smartmovie lately???

Old 21-11-2006, 02:03 PM

Sebhelyesfarku is on a distinguished road
WTF is *FAMILY FORTUNES INCORRECT SOUND EFFECT*

Old 21-11-2006, 02:36 PM

mcsleazycrisps is on a distinguished road
It's the sound effect used in the long-running UK Game Show "Family Fortunes"

Here's the sound: http://intranet.yorkcollege.ac.uk/yc...es/uh-uhhh.wav

More Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Fortunes

Old 21-11-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakman
Sorry to moan on my first post, but i can still get MUCH better results from smartmovie than with the settings described above, have you actually tried smartmovie lately???
Can you let us have your smartmovie settings so i can try them out please, the standard N80 settings that come with smartmovie are not as good as the settings above

Old 21-11-2006, 10:53 PM

gakman is on a distinguished road
Obviously files are larger, but the quality is beautiful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.JPG
Views:	1140
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	3436  

Old 21-11-2006, 11:49 PM

millssteven is on a distinguished road
I have tried the settings for the Super software - have converted video files, transferred to phone, but can't get them open on the N80.
Not showing up in gallery. Did try File Manager but ? icon next to file and when try to open it comes up with error file not recognised.
What am I doing wrong I wonder?
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 22-11-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millssteven
I have tried the settings for the Super software - have converted video files, transferred to phone, but can't get them open on the N80.
Not showing up in gallery. Did try File Manager but ? icon next to file and when try to open it comes up with error file not recognised.
What am I doing wrong I wonder?
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Yea I've come across this weird bug in Super thats unrelated to the profile above once in a while randomly it produces a corrupt file usually when this happens it lets u kno there was an error in red text under the audio section jus delete the the file produced and start encoding again. I think thats what might have happened wid CASH originally. Its a bug to do wid the software which will hopefully get fixed next release seems this happens if a screen saver starts up or the computer goes into stand by mode and sometimes when theres other programs running.

REGARDING DISK SPACE

An hour episode of something like Lost or Prison Break is about 140mb with the original settings from the profile. With a fast 2GB memory card goin for around £30-40 its worth getting one if you aint got one cause the quality is really comparable with lower end portable DVD players.

You can reduce the sound quality to mono by selecting "Channels" as "1" instead of "2" this usually reduces the file size by about 15% without much reduction on quality.

You can also set the "Bitrate kbps" to "228" instead of "336" this reduces the file size between 10-20% without any apparent quality loss.

gakman...

Using your settings for smartmovie how big is the produced file?

Old 22-11-2006, 11:02 AM

could be a screen saver problen, the first films I converted were full films and the computer screensaver kicked in, and I had this error, the last film I converted was a short film and the screen saver didnt kick in, and this worked fine, no other progs were running when I was converting...