All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-11-2006, 11:27 AM

elaverick is on a distinguished road
N92 Vapourware?

I see from the NSeries website the N92 is no longer listed. Are to now assume that the N92 will never be released? If so I wonder what Nokia's plans for mobile TV will be.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:32 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
I think it will be available on those markets with operational production DVB-H networks (not that many yet, as far I know). Selling elsewhere does not make much sense, methinks (the N93 covers all other needs besides DVB-H).

Old 10-11-2006, 09:50 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Is the second DVD-H product without future... The first one 7700, and even 7710... because the accessories for that never appear.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:55 AM

I think it's most concerning when you consider that the Windows Mobile powered Lobster has been out for a month or so now (in the UK at least) and that that is championing the competing standard of DAB-IP which can't bode well when you consider how much dev time (and presumably money) Nokia has put into this, as nj7 pointed out the first DVB-H stuff was developed with the Series 80 in mind (another innovation which seems to be slipping into the shadows)

Old 12-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaverick
I think it's most concerning when you consider that the Windows Mobile powered Lobster has been out for a month or so now (in the UK at least) and that that is championing the competing standard of DAB-IP which can't bode well when you consider how much dev time (and presumably money) Nokia has put into this, as nj7 pointed out the first DVB-H stuff was developed with the Series 80 in mind (another innovation which seems to be slipping into the shadows)
Just a gut feeling, but I don't think DVB-H has gone away, it's just taking time to get right and roll out across countries. The 7710 with replacement backplane and the N92 were just test products really, to enable real world trials. I think we'll see the technology announced for mainstream Nseries devices sometime next year and perhaps available to everyone in 2008. The N96, anybody?

Steve

Old 15-12-2006, 05:54 PM

Sorry for the thread archaeology but it would appear the rumours of the N92's demise has been somewhat exagerated.

It's back on the Nseries website and was just included in the most recent Nokia Connections e-zine.

So not a new 7700 just yet but still moving swiftly into Duke Nukem Forever territory

(It'd be nice if they could see thier way clear to moving up to 3rd Edition FP1 with all this extra time they've had... but I doubt it somehow )
Ads

Old 16-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
The N92's main market is for displaying DVB-H transmissions, but it's taking longer than expected for TV companies to roll out DVB-H in the countries that are using it first.

There doesn't seem to be much point in releasing the N92 if there's no DVB-H signals to receive anywhere, it would be like releasing a 3G phone before the first 3G network had been set up.

Digita, the people doing the first DVB-H network in Finland, were due to launch DVB-H in December 2006 (using the N92 as their officially endorsed device, incidentally) but they've recently put the launch back to the Spring of 2007.

The way I read this, don't blame Nokia for delays but blame the companies operating DVB-H networks.