All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-11-2006, 03:25 PM

stevehoot is on a distinguished road
Question Orange Firmware with Nokia N80

Hi Guys,

First post so sorry if I'm going over something obvious or stupid!

I used the offical Nokia firmware update from the Nokia Website to update my N80 on version 3 to the latest. The update failed and it killed my phone.

After phoning up Orange I got told that technically my Insurance doesn't cover it as it's Nokia's software, not Orange's. (I swung it my phoning again and playing stupid - saying my phone just won't turn on)

Where do I stand with this? I want to use NaviCore on my phone but I need version 4 or above for the firmware. I'm also aware of a number of bug fixes (memory issues with the browsers, bluetooth issues, random reboots, sim registration failure etc.) plus features that I would love to have.

Well if the manufacturer supports it under the warrenty why won't Orange cover me when I do it through my insurance? Orange won't provide me with Orange branded firmware, and if I try to upgrade again from the Nokia site I'll invalidate my insurance.

Surely Orange can't do this to me? I've purchased a product from them, and there are bugs that Nokia admit. (hence the new firmware) - so if they are refusing to test and provide me with the new firmware aren't they selling me a phone that isn't fit for purpose?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:01 PM

pinksteady is on a distinguished road
Well when I rang Orange before I upgraded my N80 myself, the woman on the phone said go ahead, she didn't even realise you'd need pirated software to do it yourself!

If a phone has bugs/problems that you can prove make it unusable, then you have every right to send it back. Therefore you also have every right to try and fix it, and although Orange may say they don't cover it, if you keep on at them on the phone, asking for their supervisor, and then THEIR supervisor, and basically not taking no for an answer, explaining that it is ridiculous to be expected to use an essentially faulty phone because they won't release firmware, then with any luck you should be able to get what you want from them (what is it you want from them?!)

Nokia make the phone not Orange, and if they make updates you are entitled to them, whether Orange agree or not. The thing with customer services is that they will always initially say 'no' 'no' 'no', but just keep going up the ranks, be confident, don't let them see any weakness in your argument.

They sold you a phone that doesn't work properly- THEY are in the wrong, not you.

By the way, I've been flashing my Orange phone since I got it with generic Nokia firmware, and now I use the built in 'over-the-air' update program which also works fine. When I have problems with this firmware compatibility, I just call Orange and just don't tell them I've changed firmware hehe, they still help me out.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:36 PM

sm1thson is on a distinguished road
but orange have released v4 and its on the nsu! and if the nsu bricks your phone and its still under warranty then it is coverered! (it says so on the nsu!) -note it is a warraty claim not an insurance claim. do you live anywhere near a service centre?

Old 08-11-2006, 11:13 AM

Update

Thanks guys.

I've spoken to both Orange, Nokia and a NSC.

Orange:
Haven't tested or released V4 of the firmware. Unable to confirm if they are looking at it / testing it. Cannot confirm if they will ever release it.
The recommend either upgrading the phone (at my expense), taking out insurance from another company or doing nothing.

Nokia:
They advised to take it to a NSC for an update and gave me the relevant contact information. All fimware goes to network operators and they modify it and test it before releasing it to the phones.
Nokia also said that it's illegal to upgrade the firmware to non-Orange firmware, thus you are restircted to the latest Orange branded firmware.

Nokia Service Centre (NSC):
Orange latest is V3, and they are not aware of when V4 will be out. They cannot update with non-Orange firmware as it often knackers the phone up. (As I already know)

So basically I'm f*cked. I want to use NaviCore GPS software but I can't cause bluetooth is crap on V3, and I have to put up with regular restarts, loosing the SIM information and a leaky web browser.

Anyone give me any other solution I'm willing to hear it!

Cheers,

Old 08-11-2006, 11:45 AM

sm1thson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehoot
Orange:
Haven't tested or released V4 of the firmware. Unable to confirm if they are looking at it / testing it.
not the case see these posts:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...t=51892&page=6
it would apear that on 20/10/2006 out of the blue orange released it and it was straight on nsu! there are other topics on this also!

orange v4 has been released!

Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 AM

cbkm is on a distinguished road
A colleague upgraded to Orange V4 about a week or two ago using NSU.

Orange have released V4.

Has it been pulled ???

Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 AM

Orange have released V4.

Has it been pulled ???

Old 08-11-2006, 11:49 AM

Orange have released V4.

Has it been pulled ???

Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 AM

Bah, can a mod removed the duplicates (and this message)?

Old 08-11-2006, 01:00 PM

Yeah?

Thanks.

I tried to update using the Nokia Website (is that the NSU?) and yes, it allowed me to download the V4 of the firmware; however I didn't think that the software care's if you are using Orange, O2, Three etc branded hardware. I thought that the update was a generic Nokia firmware rather than Orange branded...?

Can someone confirm/deny this?

Cheers,

Old 08-11-2006, 01:04 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
as far as I am aware a version for orange has been released and thats why it is possible to update from the nokia website (I may be mistaken on this though), otherwise there would be a mechanism in place to stop you trying if there is a known problem with that firmware killing your phone, as nokia have admitted, if they didnt put that safeguard in place then I would think you have a claim against nokia for negelect.

secondly you have bought the phone of orange and its orange's responosibility to make sure that the product does what its supposed to, and with the bluetooth issue on V3 fw it doesnt, so you have a claim against orange on that count by consumer law.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, the quickest way to get things sorted is to fire of an email saying that legal action will commence in 7 days if your problem isnt sorted out, then after 7 days if no good then make a claim with claims online.

You will get what you want then.

Last edited by Cash; 08-11-2006 at 01:08 PM.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

I tried to update using the Nokia Website (is that the NSU?) and yes, it allowed me to download the V4 of the firmware; however I didn't think that the software care's if you are using Orange, O2, Three etc branded hardware. I thought that the update was a generic Nokia firmware rather than Orange branded...?

Can someone confirm/deny this?

Cheers,

when the online upgrade was first on the nokia website, only generic phones were allowed to be upgraded, then slowly other branded phones were able to be upgraded, this leads me to beleive that firmware for these phones is available, or that nokia are happy to allow the phones to be upgraded with generic firmware. as for Nokia saying its illegal to upgrade a branded phone to generic I think thats slightly missleading, I dont think there is anything in any law of the UK that says its illegal to do this.
Ads

Old 08-11-2006, 01:23 PM

Confused!

Now I'm seriously confused.

Orange and Nokia Service Centre's say that V3 is the latest Orange firmware.

I've just called Nokia, and they said that the updater will check you handset network and firmware and only used the Orange branded firmware - which is fine.

But you guys are saying that when using the Nokia Updater you get version 4 of the firmware?

Who is lying to me here? Nokia (saying that it's Orange firmware rather than generic) or Orange/Nokia Service Centre who are telling me that V3 is the latest?

HELP! :-)

Cheers,

Old 08-11-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Now I'm seriously confused.

Orange and Nokia Service Centre's say that V3 is the latest Orange firmware.

I've just called Nokia, and they said that the updater will check you handset network and firmware and only used the Orange branded firmware - which is fine.

But you guys are saying that when using the Nokia Updater you get version 4 of the firmware?

Who is lying to me here? Nokia (saying that it's Orange firmware rather than generic) or Orange/Nokia Service Centre who are telling me that V3 is the latest?

HELP! :-)

Cheers,
well both nokia and orange are pretty good at lying and passing the buck.

in my eyes, if an orange phone can be updated by the nokia updater, then the firmware is available for that phone...its that simple, and as I said before, if this is not the case and the nokia updater bricked your phone, then nokia are at fault due to neglect, unless it says somewhere on their website that as an orange customer you are not allowed to update with their updater.

I dont understand why nokia dont dedicate a page on their website with information saying which phones with which operators have which firmware version. it would save alot of problems and uncertainty for everyone.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:32 PM

Woollie is on a distinguished road
I upgraded my Orange N80 using NSU to version 4 (41). Unfortunately Orange do not support FOTA, so I couldn't get to version 4 (42). I therefore zapped my phone to the generic Nokia version 4 (41) and then used FOTA to get to version 4 (42).

The NSU definitely does have Orange version 4 firmware.

Simon