All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N71, Nokia N73 and Nokia N75

Old 30-10-2006, 09:20 PM

Friday is on a distinguished road
I am a woman, pls help me with Nokia N73 or how to transfer data from my phone to PC

Hello,
I hope you will help.I've just bought Nokia N73 and now looking for a memory card.Could you please advice on one?Which is the best option( the larger capacity the better?).I am also interested in a card reader (or any other device which will help me to transfer data from my mobile to PC).My OS is ME and I can't use the Software which comes with the phone, cos it requires 2000 or XP (or can I?).
Looking forward to your reply.
Thank you,
Tanya

Old 30-10-2006, 09:43 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The Nokia PC Suite does, indeed, require Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

If your Windows ME PC supports USB memory "sticks" or USB card readers without any special drivers, then the N73 should work, if you use it with the supplied USB cable in mass storage (data transfer) mode.

If that doesn't work, then your options are probably:
- find a card reader that has drivers for Windows ME
- upgrade to Windows 2000 or Windows XP (unfortunately it is not free, and may also require a new PC, too)
- switch to Linux (it would be free and would support USB mass storage devices)

Old 30-10-2006, 10:06 PM

[quote=N/A]The Nokia PC Suite does, indeed, require Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Now,can anybody advice me on a particular brand and model of the memory card.And if you also know which card reader I can use with Windows ME, please let me know.Web links will be very much appreciated.
I'm going to be a regular here

Old 31-10-2006, 11:23 AM

Mitchem is on a distinguished road
MiniSD Card

Hi Friday, ive recently got an N73. Ive bought a SanDisk Ultra II 1Gb MiniSD card which works perfect. The Ultra has a faster read/write speed so doesn't lag or anything.

Its advisable to get a big card as this phone has an uber megapixel camera and will take up a bit of space, especially if you like snapping away

I got one off of good ol' eBay for £20 which I dont think is bad.

Hope this helps! =)

Michael

Old 01-11-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchem
Hi Friday, ive recently got an N73. Ive bought a SanDisk Ultra II 1Gb MiniSD card which works perfect. The Ultra has a faster read/write speed so doesn't lag or anything.

Its advisable to get a big card as this phone has an uber megapixel camera and will take up a bit of space, especially if you like snapping away

I got one off of good ol' eBay for £20 which I dont think is bad.

Hope this helps! =)

Michael
Thank you very much, Michael.I'll get one then.Just one, well, two more question. Since I don't know yet how to transfer data from my phone to PC I'd probably be interested in a 2Gb card. Does it affect speed or anything of the phone?
Also, if you or anybody knows how to solve my problem with transfering information from/to my mobile from/to my Windows ME, please, let me know.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:51 PM

A 2Gb card shouldt slow the phone down. Maybe if theres a lot of pictures or something in one folder but you'll have to try it out =) But make sure you get an Ultra II!! As its a faster read/write speed.

Now you should be able to get a card reader for your computer. Just ask the person who you buy it from if it comes with drivers for Windows ME, if not go to someone else. There will be a card reader that does.

Ask away if you need any more help, I dont mind answering your questions or anyones if I can help =)

Michael

Old 03-11-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchem
A 2Gb card shouldt slow the phone down. Maybe if theres a lot of pictures or something in one folder but you'll have to try it out =) But make sure you get an Ultra II!! As its a faster read/write speed.

Now you should be able to get a card reader for your computer. Just ask the person who you buy it from if it comes with drivers for Windows ME, if not go to someone else. There will be a card reader that does.

Ask away if you need any more help, I dont mind answering your questions or anyones if I can help =)

Michael
What would I do without you?
But I'm still afraid of buying something wrong, so, could you tell me the name and brand of a 2Gb card I should buy?And what is Ultra II ?I mean,does it say Ultra II on the product?Sorry once again for asking all these silly questions ( but not silly for me)

Old 03-11-2006, 07:29 PM

Just checked on ebay, they sell NEW SANDISK 1GB 1G ULTRA II CF COMPACTFLASH CARD (UCF1) for £9.99 which is suspiciously cheap, so I think it is not what I need? And a flash card is it not a MiniSd card?
What about this one: SanDisk Ultra 2 II Secure Digital SD Memory Card 2G 2GB ? For £25?

Old 03-11-2006, 08:42 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday
Just checked on ebay, they sell NEW SANDISK 1GB 1G ULTRA II CF COMPACTFLASH CARD (UCF1) for £9.99 which is suspiciously cheap, so I think it is not what I need? And a flash card is it not a MiniSd card?
What about this one: SanDisk Ultra 2 II Secure Digital SD Memory Card 2G 2GB ? For £25?
For an N73 None of that... What You need is a miniSD card..., like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniSD

Old 03-11-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7
For an N73 None of that... What You need is a miniSD card..., like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniSD
Thank you,
Where can I buy one and what is it cold , so I can find it?

Old 03-11-2006, 09:45 PM

I avoid to said wich shop is better or worse... They don´t pay me for publicity. So, Googlit for "miniSD 2Gb price", or "buy miniSD 2Gb", and choose one shop for that. Avoid "Kingston" brand cards, because I read a lot of complains on forums about that brand!

Old 03-11-2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7
I avoid to said wich shop is better or worse... They don´t pay me for publicity. So, Googlit for "miniSD 2Gb price", or "buy miniSD 2Gb", and choose one shop for that. Avoid "Kingston" brand cards, because I read a lot of complains on forums about that brand!
Thank you for your reply.I don't ask about the shop, just wanted to know what words I should put into a search engine.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:37 PM

"miniSD" should be there. After that, 1Gb or 2Gb, it depends from the size You want. Good search...
Ads

Old 04-11-2006, 10:08 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Mini.../dp/B000F2WMS6

Assuming you live in the UK.

Ultra II has a faster read/write speed which basically means it can load things quicker then a standard 2Gb miniSD card. Which means less or no lag =)

Also SanDisk is a good make.