Oh! Such a hassle Nokia & Symbian.
After so much research, I noticed that someone in www.wda.com.cn
posted that he/she was able to change the font in the N80IE (non-Chinese) version to read Chinese just by placing 'fonts' in E:\Resource\Fonts...
I had the N80 v. 4.0623.0.41 RM 12 APAC. I tried the suggested 'fix' and it did not work. The XBDL.TTF trick did not work either.
It seems that v.4.0623.0.41 RM12 APAC did not allow this.
Noting that the user in wda.com.cn said that his/her phone was N80IE, I re-flashed my phone using Pheonix/Diego to N80IE v.4.0623.0.38 with Philippine/Malaysia/Indonesia RM 12 T9 support.
Then I installed the fonts provided in www.wda.com.cn
and it worked. Voilą!
So... to be able to change fonts to allow the viewing of other languages...
1) Re-flash your phone to desired Region Code of N80IE v.4.0623.0.38 (Search Google) ... do not ever re-flash your N80 firmware back to v3.X.XXXX.X.XX since these versions are very buggy.
2) Get a font face that has the most complete font set (I like Arial Unicode MS or Code 2000)
3) Find Font Creator 5.0 by High-Logic...
4) Make a copy of the original font X 4. Need to have 4 Copies.
5) Using Font Creator... rename the areas that contain font names to
- Series 60 Sans Regular (Family: Series 60 Sans)
- Series 60 SansB Regular (Family: Series 60 SansB)
- Series 60 Sans SemiBold (Family: Series 60 Sans)
- Series 60 Sans TitleSmBd (Family: Series 60 Sans TitleSmBd)
Then, place these 4 renamed fonts to E:\Resource\Fonts, reboot phone. Use card reader to access E:\Resource\Fonts to place or delete font files.
No guarantee. You are held liable if you re-flash your phone. Once you re-flash it, warranty is over. Read important (Google It) info about reflashing your S60 3rd Ed Phone.