All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-10-2006, 02:45 AM

O.D. Yeo is on a distinguished road
No name of sender of incoming message

I've had my N73 for about a week and have had no time to scan this forum thoroughly. I hope my questions have not been asked and answered already:

1. Why is it that SOME incoming sms messages do not show the sender's name? Only shown is sender's telephone number. However, some messages from the same sender are ok.

2. What is the blue blinking light (between the earpiece and the front lens)? What is its purpose? Is there a way of de-activating it?

Old 16-10-2006, 07:07 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.D. Yeo
I've had my N73 for about a week and have had no time to scan this forum thoroughly. I hope my questions have not been asked and answered already:

1. Why is it that SOME incoming sms messages do not show the sender's name? Only shown is sender's telephone number. However, some messages from the same sender are ok.

2. What is the blue blinking light (between the earpiece and the front lens)? What is its purpose? Is there a way of de-activating it?
1. Not 100% sure, but I think if you have the sender's number stored in your contacts list in international format +44xxxxxxxxxx the problem is less frequent. Also, if you synchronise via MS Outlook & PC Suite, you may find there's a SPACE character after the +44 - remove the space as the Speed Dialler doesn't like dialling these contacts.

2. Believe it or not, the flashing blue light is Power-Save mode, where the LCD screen is switched off and the LED is simply showing you the handset is still switched on and in Standby mode. Personally I think it Nokia could have made better use of this LED by making it flash at a different speed when you have a message, email or voicemail waiting to be read, or not flashing at all when you have no reception on the network.

Old 16-10-2006, 07:33 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders
1. Not 100% sure, but I think if you have the sender's number stored in your contacts list in international format +44xxxxxxxxxx the problem is less frequent. Also, if you synchronise via MS Outlook & PC Suite, you may find there's a SPACE character after the +44 - remove the space as the Speed Dialler doesn't like dialling these contacts.

2. Believe it or not, the flashing blue light is Power-Save mode, where the LCD screen is switched off and the LED is simply showing you the handset is still switched on and in Standby mode. Personally I think it Nokia could have made better use of this LED by making it flash at a different speed when you have a message, email or voicemail waiting to be read, or not flashing at all when you have no reception on the network.
1. If it have two same numbers on contacts, it show only the number and not the name.
2. That´s it!
Ads

Old 17-10-2006, 01:54 AM

O.D. Yeo is on a distinguished road
Thanks, dez and nj7.
I just migrated back to Nokia from two years of Sony and had forgotten some of these quirks. I think my contacts are all sorted out now and the problem appears to be solved.
Any way to de-acivate the blue light sensor? I guess not.

Old 17-10-2006, 08:17 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
"Any way to de-acivate the blue light sensor? I guess not."
And You guess well. No way

Old 17-10-2006, 05:16 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.D. Yeo
Thanks, dez and nj7.
I just migrated back to Nokia from two years of Sony and had forgotten some of these quirks. I think my contacts are all sorted out now and the problem appears to be solved.
Any way to de-acivate the blue light sensor? I guess not.
If you install Best Taskman app, you can see an app called blinkingled in the running apps list. Taskman cannot close this app as it is a System App.

Perhaps other taskman apps might be able to do this?

Dez