All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-10-2006, 07:25 AM

Dobeymon is on a distinguished road
Streaming Audio From The Internet

Has anyone tried to stream audio from the internet using Realplayer. I can stream most of the BBC radio staions through my home network but when I try to stream the same audio through the phone network I get the error message 'unable to connect'. I have played with the settings in realplayer so it knows to connect through the GSM/UTMS network but still get the same error message. The phone is on 3 with a contract. I've tried speaking to 3 but they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot!
Ads

Old 14-10-2006, 09:09 AM

grahamlyth is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with rtsp streams, such as those from the BBC, and I'm also on Three.

My assumption is that rtsp streaming is either not supported (or blocked) by the proxy that all of Three's internet traffic runs through. I have "Wireless Web 512" and it's the same situation. Like you say, the whole thing works superbly with Wi-fi.

Shoutcast streaming, which uses http, works fine through Three, although the throughput from the network means that 128kbps streams struggle to keep going, frequently pausing to re-buffer.

Cheers,

Graham

Old 14-10-2006, 08:03 PM

Dobeymon is on a distinguished road
Streaming Content

Hi Graham,

Where can I get shoutcast from and what content can be accessed using this protocol? Also if your connected to the 3G network I guess throughput should not be an issue. One other point, how fast is your data allowance used up streaming audio?

Paul

Last edited by Dobeymon; 14-10-2006 at 08:09 PM.

Old 14-10-2006, 11:01 PM

grahamlyth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobeymon
Hi Graham,

Where can I get shoutcast from and what content can be accessed using this protocol? Also if your connected to the 3G network I guess throughput should not be an issue. One other point, how fast is your data allowance used up streaming audio?

Paul
Paul,

There is an open-source Shoutcast client for Series60 3rd Edition that you can download from Nokia:
http://opensource.nokia.com/projects...lientPage.html

This article has a bit more information:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...bile_Phone.php

You can get an idea of the stations available by downloading Winamp on your PC and having a play with www.shoutcast.com - once you've found some stations you like, I would recommend putting together some playlist (.pls) files with your favourite stations. I can recommend the 1.fm stations highly - I mowed the lawn today with my N80 in my pocket, streaming 1.fm Channel X (an alternative rock station) into my nice comfortable Sony headphones. It made mowing the lawn strangely enjoyable

With regard to the data allowance, a 128kb/s station uses up about 1MB per minute, so not really practical unless you're using Wi-fi. Although 3G with Three is easily capable of sustaining 128kb/s (and I've had had much higher rates downloading from Planet 3), these stations are virtually unusable when streamed this way - I can only assume that there are bandwidth issues at Three's end, or their internet proxies are throttling. Lower bitrates are fine however.

Give Shoutcast a try - once you get it up and running with some of your favourite stations you'll absolutely love it.

Graham