All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-10-2006, 11:32 AM

Saint-Just is on a distinguished road
9300i or E70? advice for newbie pls

I did a search but not very conclusive.
I am about to change my phone (6230i). UK O2.
Use is purely business, I have (almost) never played on my current, and no music.
(a nice card game could come handy for those waiting hours in transport, though ).
Camera not required. It would have been nice to do some video calling but neither can.
Wifi would be a definite user. Surfing the internet and email are the reasons for upgrading. I don't like texting on T9.
I like but can live without vibrate facility.
Not sure of what 3G really is and brings.
Last (almost) I am one of those freaks using a Macintosh (and proud of it ). Am I doomed with either phone? Do I need to choose another brand? (like Nokia and since wife uses one only need one type of charger in luggage).
Last (really) Is there a phone in the pipeline I should wait for? (I think I can resist the urge a few more weeks if it's worth it)
TIA
(also posted on Eseries 60 forum)

Old 11-10-2006, 07:28 PM

WST is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I'm a user of a 9300 (not the i version) and recently I bought an E61 (not what you are looking for but an S60 nonetheless). I wouldn't say I was disappointed (that would be too harsh). However, I believe I'll be selling the E61 to a colleague.

What I liked about the E61:

The browser (much better then the one in the 9300).

The screen (sharp with vibrant colors)

Didn't like:

Width of E61.

The screen being exposed (unlike 9300 clamshell)

The keyboard, although if you're coming from a candy bar form phone, this will be great (I guess same for E70), but not when compared to 9300 keyboard.

Not having a large dial pad.

The joystick (sorry, but I didn't like it that much and to me the 9300 joystick felt better)

The log (I use it a lot), and in the 9300 the log shows you everything in one shot (calls and messages in one page with great filtering control), but with E61they are separated (unless I'm missing something). You should check this if it's important. I was really disappointed with this one.

No timed profiles.

Something about S60 OS (I can't quite put my finger on it yet, but it's something about control of the phone; lack of it that is)

No fax (in E61, I don't know about E70, but you should check if this is important for what you're doing)

The above is my experience, yours could be the opposite. See if you can try both for a few days.

I'm staying with my 9300 (maybe upgrade to a 9300i) and wait for the next communicators to arrive.

I hope this helps. Good luck...

Old 11-10-2006, 09:09 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
By your description I think that is a choice between 9300i or E61! + or - are said above.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:01 PM

nj7,

I was merely trying to convey my experience with S60 vs. S80 to saint-just. I understand that there's a big difference between E61 (the one I used) and E70, but the OS is the same, if they're not then my post above is totally useless :-( (please correct me if I'm wrong)

BTW, anyone heard any rumors about the upcoming communicators and when they should appear? Is it true they'll be based on S60 OS and that the S80 OS is approaching its end of life and will be discontinued (I hope not)?

Old 12-10-2006, 06:24 AM

WST,
Thank you for your input.
I did understand your post was conveying your exp of S60 vs S80.
I do not like the E61 shape for the reasons you mentioned. In fact my first choice would be 9300i easily frrom the outside.
but I have read that it was a little underpowered (processorwise). Also, it seems to be an entry level model (some entry level) within communicators, whereas E70 is newer and more top of the line, with more modern features.
So I thoght it best to ask people who actually expereinced one or the other or ideally both!
Others want to chime in?

Old 12-10-2006, 08:06 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WST
nj7,

I was merely trying to convey my experience with S60 vs. S80 to saint-just. I understand that there's a big difference between E61 (the one I used) and E70, but the OS is the same, if they're not then my post above is totally useless :-( (please correct me if I'm wrong)

BTW, anyone heard any rumors about the upcoming communicators and when they should appear? Is it true they'll be based on S60 OS and that the S80 OS is approaching its end of life and will be discontinued (I hope not)?
And You did well. Im agree with your description. I had N9500 and more then one S60 devices. And E70 and E61 have the same OS, different shape, an more hardware differences.

For "Saint-Just", I like the communicator concept, but, like You said they are SLOW, very SLOW... I cant handle so slow device for so long.

Old 16-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WST
nj7,

I think if you go from one user interface to another you almost always notice annoying things more than enjoyable things, often just because the interface that's new to you does things differently, not necessarily because it does things worse. I hate using Macs, but that's because I'm used to Windows and the way Windows does things. If I'd spent years using a Mac I'd probably hate Windows.

Having said that, the E61's joystick really is annoying, they should have used a direction pad instead.

Quote:
My understanding is this: the latest version of S60, the 3rd Edition, has support for many different screen sizes and also touchscreens, so they've decided to merge all their smartphones into S60 in order to encourage developers to write more software. It's much easier to write one S60 application than two or three different versions for S60, S80 and S90. That's why S90 had such a short lifetime, because they almost immediately decided to merge it instead of splintering the standards further.

The same S60 3rd Edition app can work on many different screen sizes through scaling, it appears as a different size and shape depending on what kind of screen it's running on.

Incidentally S60, S80, S90 and UIQ all use the same OS, Symbian. They're the user interfaces that goes on top of Symbian, but the actual core is the same.

Old 17-10-2006, 02:57 PM

Jowls is on a distinguished road
I am a 9500 user and occasionally I've grown tired of its size , bulk and lack of UMTS-support and attempted using a different phone for a while... the E61 included. But it never lasts long before I'm back with my Communicator.

There is just something about the combination of the 9500/9300 form factor and series 80 that makes these devices stand out in a positive way. They are so... well, "complete".

The Communicator is a phone that you either love or hate. And if you are in the former group, then there is no other phone that can take its place.... except for the next model Communicator

Old 17-10-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse
I think if you go from one user interface to another you almost always notice annoying things more than enjoyable things, often just because the interface that's new to you does things differently, not necessarily because it does things worse. I hate using Macs, but that's because I'm used to Windows and the way Windows does things. If I'd spent years using a Mac I'd probably hate Windows.
I'd agree if it was a matter of interface only and you've got a very good example of Windows vs. Mac, but for me it was more than that. I was a Palm OS user for a long time, and then moved to the 9300 when I grew tired of waiting for Palm to bring out a good converged device. The interface is different, but with time I got accustomed to the new one, but *only* because I found that I can do most of the things I used to do with my Palm OS organizer on my 9300. Yes, I still miss a few features, but generally I was very impressed with the 9300.

However, with the E61, I found that I'm missing quite a few things that can be done on the 9300 right out of the box; for example, try to add a repeating appointment that repeats the 2nd Tuesday of every month. You can't do it with the E61, but you can with the 9300 (and you can have an end date for it too.)

So it was, either to stick with what I have, or try to bring the E61 to behave like what I have by trying to find (and buy) third party software. When I weighted the pros and cons, it was better *for me* to stick with the 9300 for the time being.

I guess it all depends on what you are going to use your device for (e.g. web browsing, email, appointments, taking notes, games, sms, watching video, taking pictures, etc...) If you place more emphasis of one (or more) over others, this will give you a good indication of what device you should choose. But I guess we all know that, so excuse my blabbing :-)
Ads

Old 22-10-2006, 04:43 AM

Location: ...somewhere in the Glorious south west countryside.
Larry70465 is on a distinguished road
9300/9500 - Still no contest...

Quote:
"The Communicator is a phone that you either love or hate. And if you are in the former group, then there is no other phone that can take its place.... except for the next model Communicator "
I can only echo the above comment. I have owned a 9500 for nearly 2 years now and have been itching to do the upgrade thang for several months. I have looked at, and tried several S60 devices (for the record, a 6630, an N90 and an N80) but always end up going back to the 9500.

Yes it has its niggling faults (i.e. I would give my left whatsit to have 3g/UMTS, and a faster processor) BUT it does everything else so well that its really rankles having to make do with the lesser S60 contacts, calendar and email applications.

I have just recently obtained my 9500s' successor and there was only really one candidate - a 9300i. Everything the 9500 was (bar the camera) but in a much handier package and T9 - outstanding.

All that remains is to sort out a few "niggles" with my Orange contract - but thats another story.

Go for the 9300i and persevere with it - you won't regret it. Make sure you read Steve Litchfields tips page as well:

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/tips9300.htm

Invaluable stuff.

Good luck.

Last edited by Larry70465; 22-10-2006 at 04:45 AM.

Old 22-10-2006, 08:36 AM

Thank you all

I didn't come back with a post but read the thread everyday, and got a better feel for both.
It looks like the main drawback of the 9300i is speed (lack of), but other than that it appears to be a stable platform.
The S60s seem to have quite a bit of small bugs, nothing really major but enough to be exasperating (I sometimes have a short fuse ).
Maybe those users are more adventurous with their phones, and try more things (quite a few come from a Nokia N** background, and they try to get the best of the N on their E61 or 70).
I have also looked at the Great Satan's (Windows Mobile 5) and decided against that as well.
My perfect phone doesn't exist yet, but the one closer to my needs seems to be the 9300i.
Thanks to your input, 9300i it will be.

Saint-Just

PS: That also mean I will come back regularly for some help, so you are not through with me yet

Old 24-10-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint-Just
PS: That also mean I will come back regularly for some help, so you are not through with me yet
Bring'em on, that's what this great forum is for

Once you have your phone, make sure you check this fantastic document of shortcuts...

http://www.agora.cz/agora/agora.nsf/...256B250073FA19

Good luck...