All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-10-2006, 03:08 AM

Jer is on a distinguished road
Please help me with a few issues (e70)

Background: I've been using the 6800, 6820 & 6822 for some time now.

Edit: Items with an asterisk are solved but rather than delete them I will leave them in case anyone else is searching these issues.

1) I want to mute the welcome tone that's the Nokia tune from the factory.

2) More than half the time when there's an open WiFi system it errors out when trying to connect for reasons unknown to myself.

3) I accidentally press the recorder button (PTT on Euro phones?) on the side of the phone at the inappropriate times WAY too often and would like to disable it entirely. I would like to make it work for something that I actually use but would settle for simply disabling the button if possible to avoid a few issues that I've had already as a result of it.

*4) Voice commands: Doesn't appear to be a way to actually setup a short cut button so you press and hold a single button and then speak the command. I wasn't able to find one in the shortcuts menu nor a way to actually get the phone to a point that allows you to give a command.

*5) The phone will only store ten sent text messages and what seems like an infinite amount of inbox messages. I refer back to my sent messages far too often and would like to be able to save more of them. My 6822 would save considerably more messages and I'm currently using a phone with about 100x the storage space.

6) How do I disable the search all function in the phone book? I had my phone book set up so that I could type the first few letters and now for some reason (actually, I think it started with the new update) it will search the entire entries and list them. An example would be that I have several contacts with the name of Mark and so I list them last name first so upon keying in the first couple letters of their name it would take me right to that entry. I then had another contact by the name of Marlena so before I would type 'M, A, R' and Marlena would be up whereas now I have about ten Marks first and have to scroll down to it. This might be a great feature for some but for me it's just one more inconvenience. I send several thousand SMS per month so little things like this multiply over the coarse of a month.

*7) I don't see any way to display if a particular contact is saved to the phone memory or the SIM card with this phone. I wanted to make sure all my contacts were backed up to the memory card in case something happened to the phone but don't see how. I guess I assume that they are all backed up but it seems fairly simple to allow the phone to display this as you browse the phone book as older Nokia phones do.

8) The USB cable that came w/the phone is absolutely horrible and will not maintain connection. I've finally resorted to criss-crossing a rubber band over the top of the phone and back to the bottom to hold the cable in tight to the phone to keep reception. Otherwise as soon as you select the option to connect and move the phone slightly it loses connection.

9) Is there any way to use an animated gif as your wallpaper? When I select one now to use it never loads the animation and just treats the beginning as a still image. Is there some sort of 'active' wallpaper option or ??

*10) There is no auto key guard feature. All the other Nokia phones I have used going back quite some time have allowed for this and some of the newer ones even allowed to specify a time for activation should the user forget. I'm in a pretty good habit of locking them manually but there are rare instances where I forget and would prefer the phone do it for my after several minutes (user specified the time would be even better) to save accidentally storing/erasing info or calling people inadvertently. The only thing I found was a timed SIM lock that required the PIN every time you wanted to unlock the phone. That's WAY too much effort since I'm locking and unlocking my phone so frequently.

11)That's probably a good start for now. I may add more later but these are the ones off the top of my head right now.

Thanks for reading and feel free to add any input about any of the above even if it's something small as anything is a help at this point. Thanks!

Last edited by Jer; 03-10-2006 at 05:10 AM.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:27 AM

mjlaris is on a distinguished road
I can only help with a couple of these:

1. There is a setting under Menu=>Tools=>Settings=>Phone that regers to the welcome note/logo. I think this may do what you want but I'm not certain.

2. I hate the voice record button as well as it is far too easy to push. However, there is no way to disable or reassin it's function.

Mark

Old 02-10-2006, 04:35 AM

desertrat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling
3) I accidentally press the recorder button (PTT on Euro phones?) on the side of the phone at the inappropriate times WAY too often ...
I find that button awkward to press on purpose let alone by accident

Quote:
4) Voice commands: Doesn't appear to be a way to actually setup a short cut button so you press and hold a single button and then speak the command. I wasn't able to find one in the shortcuts menu nor a way to actually get the phone to a point that allows you to give a command.
To use voice commands press and hold the voice recorder button (the one you keep accidently pressing!) until you hear a little tune, you can then speak your command and hopefully have it recognised. AFAICS you can only use voice commands for the builtin apps, there's no way to select a 3rd party app.

Quote:
5) The phone will only store ten sent text messages and what seems like an infinite amount of inbox messages. I refer back to my sent messages far too often and would like to be able to save more of them.
Go to
Messaging > Options > Settings > Other
you can then select whether to "save sent messages" and define the "no. of saved msgs.". Or you could create a new message folder and move the sent messages into it.

Quote:
8) The USB cable that came w/the phone is absolutely horrible and will not maintain connection. I've finally resorted to criss-crossing a rubber band over the top of the phone and back to the bottom to hold the cable in tight to the phone to keep reception. Otherwise as soon as you select the option to connect and move the phone slightly it loses connection.
You probably have a duff cable though I've seen others report the same problem. On my phone the cable fits pretty tight, I can shake the phone about without any problems, I can pull on the plug with a fair bit of force and there's no give, I can wiggle the plug up and down and it doesn't lose connection.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaris
I can only help with a couple of these:

1. There is a setting under Menu=>Tools=>Settings=>Phone that regers to the welcome note/logo. I think this may do what you want but I'm not certain.
Nope. I tried this already and it changes the text/welcome note to whatever text or image you specify but right after that it plays the audible welcome tone which is what I'm trying to disable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaris
2. I hate the voice record button as well as it is far too easy to push. However, there is no way to disable or reassin it's function.

Mark
I saw online somewhere where you could write a new code for that button and I wonder if one can just add a command that is essentially blank that would cause it to do nothing instead. Would be a little harder but might be one way to overcome this.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat
I find that button awkward to press on purpose let alone by accident
Really? I've had a few times where I forget to lock my keys (which reminds me of another problem I have, I'll edit my first post to add a #10 so see if you know the answer to that one) and when I take my phone out of my pocket a large chunk of my 2gb of memory is zapped by a lengthy voice recording that I wasn't aware I was making. I've also accidentally hit it while trying to get the phone for other reasons or while online or something else and it backs me all the way out of whatever I was doing (I forget the one that cost me to lose information as I was in the process of entering it) & it's not like it's even a key that I will ever use really. I rarely (read: never) use the voice recorder and so it's not even something that I can justify because I use regularly. It's almost like having a eject button w/o a cover in your car somewhere on your stereo next to a key you use frequently or something.

Quote:
To use voice commands press and hold the voice recorder button (the one you keep accidently pressing!) until you hear a little tune, you can then speak your command and hopefully have it recognised. AFAICS you can only use voice commands for the builtin apps, there's no way to select a 3rd party app.
That makes sense. Maybe I will use that button now but I doubt it because there's no way to make the voice commands words that I want to be and also no way to add voice commands to unsupported apps as that's what I would like to do since there's also no way to add shortcuts to unsupported apps. Thanks for answering that because I spent some time looking for how to do that and couldn't seem to find it either.

Quote:
Go to
Messaging > Options > Settings > Other
you can then select whether to "save sent messages" and define the "no. of saved msgs.". Or you could create a new message folder and move the sent messages into it.
Thank you SO much. I really wish I could have found that option months ago as that has really been a terrible inconvenience for me on several occasions.

Quote:
You probably have a duff cable though I've seen others report the same problem. On my phone the cable fits pretty tight, I can shake the phone about without any problems, I can pull on the plug with a fair bit of force and there's no give, I can wiggle the plug up and down and it doesn't lose connection.
Yeah, it's pretty common on these cables but I'm not sure how to go about getting it replaced. I guess since it's a Nokia part I can just find someplace that is Nokia authorizes and swap it out or ??

Old 02-10-2006, 05:03 PM

lark is on a distinguished road
Answer for 10)
There is a free/(small donation) peice of software called Autokeylock that will automatically lock your phones for you. Search in the allaboutsymbian.com news page and download the v1.1 version for the E70.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:45 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1) I want to mute the welcome tone that's the Nokia tune from the factory.
You can't. But you can skip it though. Whenever the animation is about to start, press the joystick and you'll be taken staight to the standby screen.

Quote:
3) I accidentally press the recorder button (PTT on Euro phones?) on the side of the phone at the inappropriate times WAY too often and would like to disable it entirely.
You can't. And you can't remap it either.

Quote:
7) I don't see any way to display if a particular contact is saved to the phone memory or the SIM card with this phone. I wanted to make sure all my contacts were backed up to the memory card in case something happened to the phone but don't see how. I guess I assume that they are all backed up but it seems fairly simple to allow the phone to display this as you browse the phone book as older Nokia phones do.
Are you talking about SIM card or memory card here? In S60 (3rd edition at least), the main contact view only shows the contacts that are stored in your phone memory. Unlike with other phones, it doesn't show the contacts that are stored on the SIM card, which is why there is no icon to tell you that a contact is stored on the SIM since they're all on the phone. Whenever you start your phone with a new SIM card, it will ask you whether you want to copy the SIM contacts to your phone memory. If you agree, the SIM contacts will be copied and will show up in Contacts, if you don't, they won't show up in the main view of Contacts.

You can see the contacts stored on the SIM card by choosing Options -> SIM Contacts -> SIM directory in Contacts. And you can copy contacts back and forth between the phone memory and the SIM card using the Options menu too.

If you want to keep your contacts sound and safe, i'd recommend you to sync regularly with Outlook and to do regular backups of your phone memory to your memory card (not SIM card) using the Memory Card application on your phone.

Quote:
9) Is there any way to use an animated gif as your wallpaper? When I select one now to use it never loads the animation and just treats the beginning as a still image. Is there some sort of 'active' wallpaper option or ??
I don't know but for for the sake of battery life i wouldn't do that anyway. Unless there is really something exiting in staring at the standby screen of a mobile phone.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:34 PM

desertrat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maye I will use that button now but I doubt it because there's no way to make the voice commands words that I want to be
You can. Go into the voice commander app, highlight the app you want to change then Options > Change Command. Eg you can change "File manager" to "Symbian Explorer" then whenever you say "Symbian Explorer" the file manager app will run.

Quote:
and also no way to add voice commands to unsupported apps as that's what I would like to do since there's also no way to add shortcuts to unsupported apps.
Unfortunately you can't.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark
Answer for 10)
There is a free/(small donation) peice of software called Autokeylock that will automatically lock your phones for you. Search in the allaboutsymbian.com news page and download the v1.1 version for the E70.
Awesome, thanks! For anyone that installs this you can enable or disable it as well as set the duration prior to autolock by going to your installed applications menu and selecting the autolock icon.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp
You can't. But you can skip it though. Whenever the animation is about to start, press the joystick and you'll be taken staight to the standby screen.
That's handy but lots of times I don't want to sit and wait for that moment to hit the button. I was trying to find the sound file to delete but can't seem to find it in memory at all. Any ideas there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp
You can't. And you can't remap it either.
I could have sworn before taking delivery of my phone I found a blog/forum with details on how to remap this button for other functions while looking for other information on phone operation. I just can't seem to find it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp
Are you talking about SIM card or memory card here? In S60 (3rd edition at least), the main contact view only shows the contacts that are stored in your phone memory. Unlike with other phones, it doesn't show the contacts that are stored on the SIM card, which is why there is no icon to tell you that a contact is stored on the SIM since they're all on the phone. Whenever you start your phone with a new SIM card, it will ask you whether you want to copy the SIM contacts to your phone memory. If you agree, the SIM contacts will be copied and will show up in Contacts, if you don't, they won't show up in the main view of Contacts.

You can see the contacts stored on the SIM card by choosing Options -> SIM Contacts -> SIM directory in Contacts. And you can copy contacts back and forth between the phone memory and the SIM card using the Options menu too.

If you want to keep your contacts sound and safe, i'd recommend you to sync regularly with Outlook and to do regular backups of your phone memory to your memory card (not SIM card) using the Memory Card application on your phone.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm pretty good about backing up my contacts to both my memory card as well as PC so that shouldn't be an issue. That was part of the reason for me wanting to know where the contact was located to make sure each one was backed up on the card but I guess if I'm looking at it w/o selecting 'SIM contacts' it's on the memory card where I wanted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp
I don't know but for for the sake of battery life i wouldn't do that anyway. Unless there is really something exiting in staring at the standby screen of a mobile phone.
Good point. I guess I didn't think about that part of the equation. Still images work fine in that case.
Ads