All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-09-2006, 01:55 PM

Gramkow is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Route 66 Mobile 7 on Nokia E50 - A word of warning

Hi there,

just wanted to share my experience with Route 66 Mobile 7 on my Nokia E50... and Route 66's level of support...

Having recently purchased a Nokia E50, I went about looking for a SatNav solution for it. Having used both Tomtom and Route66 on the 6600/6670/6680 earlier, I would prefer the Tomtom solution, but nothing is currently available with support for 3rd edition devices.

So, I took a look at the Route66 website, and to my delight, they listed the E50 as compatible with Mobile 7. Great, went ahead and ordered it - DVD arrived in the post a couple of days later.

Installer ran fine, no problems installing to the 1GB MicroSD I am using in the phone. Put the card in, booted the phone - nothing...

Hmm. Tried it on a RS-MMC card in the 6680 - no problem, application detected and ran fine. Took a look at the DVD again... That's from - NOVEMBER 2005. No wonder it won't run.

No worries though, I can probably get an update from 66.com to get it running - after all, they list it as supported...

No such luck. After having spoken to Route 66's Danish support, and emailed their Dutch (HQ?) support, and spoken to the Dutch as well, this what I got:

----------------------------------
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in ROUTE 66 products.

There will be an update available on our website that will allow the installation on Symbian S60 3rd edition. At the moment the release date is not known.

Best regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

ROUTE 66 Customer Support

------------------------------------

Frankly, I think this STINKS. So far, this is a 150 piece of deadwood sitting on the shelf. If anything, they should make the update available by email, provided the customer can provide the installation key from the DVD.

Can't return the software since it's been opened, so I'm stuck waiting for a patch to surface ... sometime in the future...

I even tried building a custom DVD installation image which included the latest patches from the available update on 66.com - no luck, won't work.

So - If you're planning to get Route 66 for your 3rd edition device, be wary - What you see might not exactly be what you get.

If anybody can provide some input on how to get the application detected and running on the E50, I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Lars
Ads

Old 26-09-2006, 07:42 PM

BernieF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramkow
If anybody can provide some input on how to get the application detected and running on the E50, I would greatly appreciate it.
Well, when you ordered the software from the R66 webshop - did you have to specify your device (E50) and did you enter that information?

If yes, return the package. They delivered the wrong version.

There are other people out there who have already received the correct R66 package that contains the software version for 3rd edition Symbian phones.

For some reason, R66 has still not posted the patch for other people to be able to run their package on 3rd edition phones.

This major pain is the reason why I skipped R66 in the end. I am buying Tomtom 6.

Old 26-09-2006, 09:07 PM

Gramkow is on a distinguished road
Didn't get it directly from 66.com - bought it from a web store I've used a lot in the past - they didn't specify any particular version (article #'s typically don't change when a vendor ships a later build of a piece of software).

So part of the blame is my own for not checking what build they were shipping, but I honestly can't fathom that Route 66 are unable to provide a patch / fixed installer for 3rd edition devices - they, if anybody, should have forseen this problem occurring.

Guess I'll put it on eBay with a spare BT GPS and get Tomtom 6 instead. At least that'll work out of the box...

/ Lars