All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > UIQ > Sony Ericsson M600i

Old 21-09-2006, 08:52 PM

paddytb is on a distinguished road
Unhappy M600i - forced inactivity lock with MS Exchange / ActiveSync

I use ExchangeActiveSync and the server I sync with forces me to use a password (inactivity lock). I am aware that this is an exchange server setting but my host will not remove it - thanks for nothing 1&1!

Please is there a way to disable this on the phone or at least increase the amount of time before I am prompted? It is currently a minute which makes the phone close to unuseable. Not good for a business phone.

Also the sync activates the default screen saver which can then no longer be disabled. This is not a security issue so should not even be touched by the sync process. Can this be fixed too?

It is otherwise a great phone. The PIM functionality in particular is outstanding compared to s60 v3. Combined with activesync and exchange even meeting requests are supported and integrated between the messaging and calendar apps - so you can accept meeting invitations in the messaging and they go into your calendar - v.cool.

Exasperated,
Paddy

Firmware versions: phone R9A002, bt R3A01, organiser R4C01, CDA R4C01
Sync version: 2.005 (300) (SE distro ExchangeActiveSync_2.2.6.sis)

Old 22-09-2006, 07:35 PM

leutholl is on a distinguished road
Same problem

Hi,

I have exaclty the same problem!!!!

So this is because of the Actiy Sync I just installed before? thanks for the hint, because I already asked orange (my operator) as I thought it has something to do with my contract but I don't think so...

I will ask my exchange service support... but i don't expect a solutions from them...

Please let me know how to get rid of it....

In total the M600i is a great phone but I expect a major update for the firmware to get a faster, more stable phone...

Greetings from Switzlerand,

Luk
Ads

Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 PM

mezpot is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I have the same problem on my E50: orange + Mail for Exchange. The phone was fine before I synched with the exchange server. Server support cannot help and the interval cannot be set to more than 15 minutes! Annoying. Any ideas?

Old 14-10-2006, 09:37 AM

You need to see if your server support people will add you to the exceptions list in Exchange messaging and security feature pack admin. I can't get this done because my exchange hosting company 1and1 is inflexible and enables the feature by default.

Old 18-10-2006, 04:51 AM

wytey is on a distinguished road
heh, use a P990i here, and did use 1and1, they said that because it is a shared exchange, the can not disable it due to security reasons or something along those lines.... funny... I don't know much about exchange, but doesn't each user have an individual policy? sounded more like that they couldn't be bothered :( cancelled my account with them and am with mail2web instead.

anyway, I did manage to disable it on the P990i, not sure if it will work on the M600i, but worth a try I guess.

kill exchange activesync and syncscheduler with SwissManager or SwissManagerPro
disable the lock
fire up exchange activesync

I found that by doing that, exchange activesync would not try to enable it again, maybe because that it remembers setting it to enabled, and leaves it at that only stopping you from disabling it whilst it is running. stays unlocked even after rebooting phone, or should it decide to reboot itself at sit at the pin prompt without warning :|

before, I had to kill exchange activesync just to be able to use the GPS software properly, now I can use both

hope that works for everyone annoyed with the forced lock, and that it just isn't my phone being nice to me for once lol

Old 18-10-2006, 04:23 PM

Oh Happy Days!! Works on my M600i a treat - even allows me to set the screen saver to none now rather than default. Joy :-)

Thanks wytey - my sim card has come out of the E61 I've been using and is back in the M600i! I can't guarantee it'll stay there but you never know. It's now bwcome hard to make up my mind again!

Thanks again! maybe this can be posted in one of the tips areas - ooops I think I might be thinking of My-Symbian.com

PS Would you be able to give me a heads-up by private mail on mail2web? I'm not happy with 1and1 for the reasons already mentioned. TVMIA

Last edited by paddytb; 18-10-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Old 18-10-2006, 11:00 PM

wytey is on a distinguished road
a big sigh of relief

sure, not sure what you want to know though

Old 27-10-2006, 11:13 PM

mezpot is on a distinguished road
Hi again. I know I am in the wrong place (Nokia E50) but I have pretty much exhausted the issue with my host who, like described above, won't make any changes to lift this lock. Any further tips would be gratefully received as I don't think the fix above works for me.

Old 19-12-2006, 09:37 PM

Pete38 is on a distinguished road
Not sure if anybody else has tried this but I can't seam to kill the syncscheduler process. Is there something I'm missing!! In SwissManager the syncscheduler process has an astrix next to it that I guess means it can't be killed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter