All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
AAS's review of the Nokia 5500 Sport

I've written a review of the 5500 for AAS, you can read it here:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...rt_Review1.php

If you have any questions about stuff I didn't cover in the review, please ask in this thread and I'll try and answer them.
Ads

Old 14-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
Nice review but I find it a bit strange that I have not noticed any of major networks who are supplying the phone? It seems like a good general consumer device to me. Perhaps they think the keep fit aspect is to much of a niche market?

Old 14-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by langdona
Nice review but I find it a bit strange that I have not noticed any of major networks who are supplying the phone? It seems like a good general consumer device to me. Perhaps they think the keep fit aspect is to much of a niche market?
The phone has only just come on the market sim-free, it usually takes a few more weeks (sometimes months! ) for networks to supply their own subsidised versions.

Old 15-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse
The phone has only just come on the market sim-free, it usually takes a few more weeks (sometimes months! ) for networks to supply their own subsidised versions.
Expansys have had them since Friday 21st July 2006. I've also spotted them on a couple of other web sites from about the same time. Perhaps they had early production problems that stopped them going to full production. However it seems to have disappeared of the coming soon page on Carphone Warehouse although that probably does not mean much.

Old 15-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Expansys have had them since Friday 21st July 2006. I've also spotted them on a couple of other web sites from about the same time. Perhaps they had early production problems that stopped them going to full production. However it seems to have disappeared of the coming soon page on Carphone Warehouse although that probably does not mean much.
It's not worth paying that much attention to dates that online stores list, they usually just make up dates if they don't have any official word on a subject.

The official press releases about the 5500 said it would be available some time during Q3 2006 (July - August - September) but they were never more specific than that, so if you go by the official timetable the 5500 was released on time.

Old 15-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse
It's not worth paying that much attention to dates that online stores list, they usually just make up dates if they don't have any official word on a subject.

The official press releases about the 5500 said it would be available some time during Q3 2006 (July - August - September) but they were never more specific than that, so if you go by the official timetable the 5500 was released on time.
No they had them in stock on that date!

Old 16-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
No they had them in stock on that date!
Hmm... I've sometimes heard of shops getting tiny numbers of a phone but the substantial supplies only come a month or so later. Maybe that happened in this case.