All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 23-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Enter UIQ 3 in the real world - Rafe and the M600i

While I've been hammering the S60 3rd Edition-powered Nokia N93, Rafe's been having some serious one-on-one time with the UIQ 3-powered Sony Ericsson M600i messaging smartphone. Here's the full and detailed review. Summary? Powerful and innovative, but not all features work well for both one-handed and stylus-driven modes.

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-08-2006, 09:23 AM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
I like the look of this device. My wife has been using my old P900 for the last couple of years and, whilst she absolutely loves it, the battery performance is now really poor (struggles to get through a day despite a new battery only 6 months ago) and the whole thing is getting a bit rough round the edges. She's not bothered about a camera (neither am I) or WiFi (couldn't live without it myself) so this or the W950 seem to be the ideal replacement devices.

I know the software is limited at the moment, but is there any kind of schedule-based profile switcher for UIQ 3 yet? This is something neither of us could even consider doing without. If there isn't one yet, I'll be holding off from getting one until such an app becomes available.

Nice review!

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 23-08-2006, 11:40 AM

FLG is on a distinguished road
SE M600i - Real World Usage

As a daily user of SE P900, SE P910, Nokia 9500, 9300, 9300i, Nokia E61 and E70 the M600i does not compare for email access. The SE P900 and P910 were outstanding phones in there era but the M600i is not in the same league for any email usage or WWW access. I have used it with Black Berry connect (works but very slow email display), RoadSync (works but not stable - faster than BB) and POP mail (many, many features missing). Just try to address an email to multiple recipients with any degree of efficiency with any of the M600i email options!

I do like the M600i size and keyboard. The phone function is above average but the speaker phone does not compare with Nokia 9300 or Nokia E70 performance.

Maybe future firmware releases will improve the M600i usability.

For email access (BlackBerry connect, Active Sync and POP) very few options compare with the Nokia E70 or Nokia 9300. The usability of the Nokia E70 is outstanding for all email applications and calendaring (BB or Active Sync). I was hoping for much more from SE!

Old 23-08-2006, 11:48 AM

I see what you're getting at but, from my point of view, none of the other devices you mention can be compared to the UIQ devices due to a lack of touch-screen. I've tried using non-touch-screen devices and, whilst phones like the N7650 or N9300 were okay, the whole time I'm using them I'm thinking "I'd be finished doing what I'm trying to do by now if this had a touch-screen".

So the e-mail may not be great (still using bog-standard POP3 over GPRS myself so not too much of an issue) it's the advantage of having a mobile phone wrapped up in the body of a full PDA that makes the M600 (or any of the current or past UIQ devices) such a perfect match for me.

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Old 23-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
FLG - interesting comments.

I didn't have any problems with the ActiveSync implementation. In the same period the E61 had one occurance of the not updating issues (fixed via rebooting).

I can't say I specifically tested multiple addresses in sent emails very much, although it seeme fine when I did send some test emails. I'm not sure what you mean by missing POP features - there wasn't anything particular I noticed.

I can't comment on the Blackberry Connect as I haven't used it.

I've used the E61 and M600 and had the E70 for a while. I'd say the M600 and E61 they will all have their fans. The E61 because it is the traditional thumboard form factor, the E70 because is has the unique gul wing and the M600 for its size. However to my mind the M600 scored well in areas outside of messaging and I think is stronger as PDA like device (a lot of this is due to the touchscreen, but it also down to the UI). The RAM issues in the E70 detract somewhat as does its out of the box mono headset for the E61 and E70.

Speakerphone - Honestly didn't notice any difference. The M600 is a menu away (as opposed to a single keypress on Eseries) which maybe an issue for some.

However all of this illustrates an important device. Everyone wants something different from a device and everyone will have a different opinion. Bassey's post further illustrates this.

All in all all the messaging focused Symbian 9 devices - M600, E61, E70 are very good devices. Although all of them suffer a little from earlyadopteritis (firmware strain) to an extent.

Old 23-08-2006, 12:03 PM

SE M600i - Real World Usage

I agree - the touch screen was intriguing. I would suggest you try the Nokia E70 or E61 for 1 or 2 weeks and you will be amazed with the efficiency of the UI (I prefer the size, shape and screen resolution of the E70). The front phone UI of E70 is unbelievably - works very, very well in terms of access to contacts, email, calendar, camera and such. Only need to use one hand. Then when you open the E70 phone you have similar access with full keyboard.

Also, pair the E70 with the Nokia SU-8W keyboard and the combination is quite nice. I recently traveled to Italy w/o laptop and interacted with over 3,000 BlackBerry/Echange emails via my E70!

It is nice to have have new options for Nokia, SE and others. Best Regards, FLG>>>

Old 23-08-2006, 12:21 PM

SE M600i - Email Addressing

The SE M600i email addressing issue is as follows:

1. You can't resolve a name from the email client line, you must go to the contacts list and look up every name. This is a significant efficiency and usability issue. Try send a email to five different people (with varied last names or first names) and count your keystrokes or screen jots!

2. The lookup of contact for addressing and other contact interaction is only by last or first name. This is not really the standard today.

As a user of the RIM 8700, Nokia E70 and E61 you can address emails by first name, last name, or part of name and it will resolve with your contacts. You can make phone calls the same way.

The implementation of contact access and addressing on the SE M600i almost makes it not an usable business PDA device in 2006! Try it - I think you will agree. I like the size and keyboard but the messaging software is not up to the standard of 2006!

Old 23-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yes the contacts sort / find issue is a bit dated as I commented on in the review (for those reading it works the same way in the Contact application and email lookups).

Email contact lookup - I have to confess this isn't something I really noticed. I tend to write emails by find the person on contacts and choosing new message from there. The lookup stuff seemed to work fine for me though. Again I think illustrates how different people notice different things.

Another example is support for Global Excahange Address lists in the M600 (missing in the Eseries IIRC).

Old 23-08-2006, 12:53 PM

jah is on a distinguished road
FLG,

well I am a business user and have used a Nokia 9500, 7710 and XDA Exec & HTC TyTN and SE P990 & M600. In my experience I really only use my mobile device to read and reply to emails and only infrequently to create a new email. So for me the M600 is okay. I think it is important to see all the dimensions of the M600 - not just the email client. Under 3G it has the fastest web browser I've seen (okay the E61 is probably similar), the MP3 play back is the best i have heard except for the P990, the screen for video watching is superb...etc. Its also very very small, which is important for some users (not me!).

Old 23-08-2006, 01:05 PM

3g

Rafe

I use t-mobile 3G with UKP7.50 per month cost fo 2GB of data. The M600 is so fast under 3g that I am not sure how wifi would be a benefit and at least in the Uk wifi supbscription would be more costly than my mobile package

Old 23-08-2006, 01:31 PM

Global Address Book

The global address book is avialable on the E61, E71, 9500, 9300 and M600i via Black Berry connect and Exchange. Works very well on the E series not very usable on the M600i due to navigation. Not integrated into email addressing client on the M600i. I have high expectations for the M600i, I purchase an unlocked unit and plan to keep it. I want to like it more! Just not up to the alternatives for business communication - today. Best Regards - FLG>>>

Old 23-08-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLG
...I would suggest you try the Nokia E70 or E61 for 1 or 2 weeks and you will be amazed with the efficiency of the UI....It is nice to have have new options for Nokia, SE and others. Best Regards, FLG>>>
Quite apart from the practicalities of getting hold of an E71 or E61 for a couple of weeks (don't see my local phone retailer being quite that generous ) I'm definitely a touch-screen guy. I currently use a XDA MiniS (HTC Prodigy) which (for a PDA) is very small and light, has a touch-screen and decent sized keyboard and WiFi so, for now, I have the best of both worlds.

I like the look of the E61 (that is the one that opens out to a QWERTY keyboard, right?) but it just seems counter-intuitive to be able to see the option I want but have to scroll through 3 or 4 things I don't want in order to select it.

It's Oranges and Apples. For me, a keyboard is for text entry, a stylus is for selecting/navigating. I've tried lots of devices but never found anything that even begins to convince me that this is not the best way.

Old 23-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Founder / Chief

jah - fair point about 3G, but only if you have 3G reception! I don't at home and use WiFi instead. It also a shame there's no EDGE. Different users, different use case!

FLG - should have been clearer. As far as I'm aware the advantage of Dataviz's Exchange solution is support for Sync of GALs, support for Meeting requests etcm and the filter emails based on size.

Even so clearly the M600i is quite there for you!

Old 23-08-2006, 03:14 PM

3g

duplicate deleted

Last edited by jah; 23-08-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Ads

Old 24-08-2006, 04:51 AM

simtech is on a distinguished road
Yahoo go

sir iam using n 7610. want use yahoo messenger to my mobile pls helpme details i am from india tanks advance

Last edited by simtech; 24-08-2006 at 04:54 AM.