All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 22-08-2006, 05:29 AM

damien.nimai is on a distinguished road
I just upgraded my N70 and restored the phone memory from a backup on my memory card. Everything works perfectly and now I have ACTIVE STANDBY which 3 in all their wisdom had decided to not let it's N70 users access.

Yay

Old 22-08-2006, 07:36 AM

legendkilla is on a distinguished road
Smile

successfully updated my 6630 from v5.03 to v6.03. Even got interrupted during the download due to bad mains voltage, but luckily I found out that the phone doesnt start updating until the very end. The download+install took 5 mins max. The download was over 25MB btw, so only try if you're on a broadband connection. My C drive's wiped clean and my contacts have disappeared. Other than that, its all good. Nokia have finally taken an amazing step forward in firmware updates! =)

Old 22-08-2006, 08:13 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufty
Reinstalling did the trick; Works fine now. Thanks for the tip!
Glad to know that. So, no problem with native language

Old 22-08-2006, 08:34 AM

Bobagent is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if I update my old 6630 will it become operator unlocked?
I have upgraded to an N80 but want to give my dad my old Vodafone 6630....problem is he's on T-Mobile.
Will using the updater unlock the phone?

Cheers

Old 22-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
No, I'm 99.999% sure that the right operator-branded firmware will be used, just as if you'd gone to a Nokia service centre.

Steve

Old 22-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
The updater will ONLY update your phone with the latest branded firmware for your phone (if branded). You CAN NOT install a generic firmware on a branded phone using this updater.

I'm yet to check what will happen to a handset which used to be branded, but has previously been flashed with a generic firmware.

Old 22-08-2006, 09:35 AM

wicked_saint is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up The upgrade worked!!

I upgraded my N70 from 3.0546.2.3 to the much awaited 5.0616.2.0.3. Well there was a lot of tension, whether it'll work or not. If the phone dies, what phone i'll use... etc. But everything worked the way Nokia website stated in there FAQ section. So all who are willing to upgrade their phones' firmwares, plz go thru the FAQ section. It's helpful.

At the end of the update, my phone hanged and there was an error msg, "Software update failed." I just unplugged the data cable, the charger from the phone and removed my battery. Waited till the screen faded and then put the battery back again and started the phone and WALA...

After the upgrade, the phone is faster and has one theme less (3 themes). After restoring the back up, all the previously installed softies in MMC and phone memory still work without any problem.

Guys, take the risk and go for the upgrade... you'll love it.

Old 22-08-2006, 12:44 PM

jrmt is on a distinguished road
wicked_saint said:
Quote:
and started the phone and WALA...
Don't you mean voilą? See http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/voila.html

Old 22-08-2006, 01:27 PM

Mufty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmt
wicked_saint said:

Don't you mean voilą? See http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/voila.html
Or see: http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=pedant

Old 22-08-2006, 05:00 PM

Burcrim is on a distinguished road
6680 firmware version

I updated my 6680 very smoothly and without any problems....well done Nokia.

However now the phone seems much slower and has less RAM than before!?! Plus the new firmware is indicated as only being v.4.04.07 (22-08-05) which I believe is an old version. Aren't we several updates on from that now?

I tried to update again it but the Nokia Software Updater gives me a message that the software is already up to date!!!

Old 22-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon
Whenever I try running this software trying this out on my old(!) N70 I get a Windows message up saying Nokia Service Layer Host Process has encountered a problem and needs to close. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Then the usual offer to tell Microsoft via Error Report.

Mmmmm.

Tim

Update: Forgot to say that i turned off all AV and Firewall, rebooted phone and PC. Just the same.
Had another go at this ths evening and discovered it was the Firewall - still on, apparently! Again. Should have learned by now!

Anyway, it all went smoothly with this N70 but i also think it's reporting less RAM after boot than it used to. It was just over 20MB. I'm sure it used to be more. On Steve's chart over at 3Lib it says 32MB - but I just can't remember. If this is some huge drop, to bring the N70 in line with other low-RAM models, then I don't think it's much of a step forward.

It doesn't seem to be any faster at executing tasks either. In fact, as our friend above says, may be even slower.

Tim

Old 23-08-2006, 12:02 AM

mike08061981 is on a distinguished road
It worked!

I just tried this and it worked. I have a N70, and had the very first FW on it. I live in the states, and it is not possible to have this phone flashed here. So, needless to say, this is huge for me. About time! Thank you nokia. I mean, you guys across the pond have been using way faster n70s than me :( The camera is way way faster starting up. Imediate. Too cool. MP3 glitches all gone. you guys dont know, this is huge. One thing for people installing: at the end of 10 mins, my phone was off (plugged in) and the pc gave me a "software update failed." I just unplugged the battery, put it back in and it works perfectly. Smooth no. Effective yes. Kudos to Apoc, AAS and nokia for this.

Old 23-08-2006, 01:52 AM

vinumsv is on a distinguished road
Question Firmware Updated

Firmware updated from 2. somthing to V5.03.08 (nokia 6630) succesfully using this tool from Nokia http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/...erSetup_en.exe but i didnt get the latest one ? is the fiirmware relese contry specific ( i am from india )

Last edited by vinumsv; 23-08-2006 at 01:55 AM.

Old 23-08-2006, 11:51 AM

nfinland is on a distinguished road
N70 upgrade ok. I had to adjust time, date and some other settings like the schortcuts on the "desktop" once again. I also lost my Bluetooth connection with my PC or waqs it due to the PC Suite updrade I do not know...

Old 26-08-2006, 01:22 PM

Drofidnas is on a distinguished road
Wicked Saint, what operator are you with?

I'm with O2 UK and tried updating my N70 from 3.0546.2.3 to 5.0616.2.0.3 and ended up with 3.0546.2.3 again.

Every poster in the N70 forum has updated from v2.xxx to v5.xxx - I was wondering whether it wasn't possible to go from v3 upwards (which is daft) so I wonder whether it's a network operator thing.
Ads