All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-08-2006, 02:05 AM

Planetkaren is on a distinguished road
Well, I see that the Nokia site is now offering the firmware upgrade flashing program. The N73 isn't listed yet, but I bet it will be.....

Old 24-08-2006, 11:27 AM

sb2uk is on a distinguished road
N73 - 3GData /GPRS Bug

Hi,

Just got this phone using latest firmware at beginnign of this thread. The phone runs very warm. I then noticed that the transmitting data 3G was always active. No data was being transferred as confirmed from the logs - however my battery tends to tie within about 25 minutes now, even if I turn off the phone and restart.

Software: N73 + Worldmate + Agile Messenger (none active).

The problem seemed to start when I tried to connect the cable to my PC and selected the PC suite mode.

Either way - can't seem to stop the wireless transmission. I have to assume the antenna is active in some manner as the phone is very warm and battery life is considerably shorter now.

Anyone had this problem? I'm going to disable the data access point on the phone - hopefully that should cool the phone down...

Old 25-08-2006, 12:20 AM

earpon is on a distinguished road
Have you guys had any problems with the build quality of the N73? Like the top part kind of having a gap?

Old 26-08-2006, 06:05 PM

MickH1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetkaren
Well, I see that the Nokia site is now offering the firmware upgrade flashing program. The N73 isn't listed yet, but I bet it will be.....
Yep just been checking that out myself. Good idea S'pose it's like flashing a PC BIOS, really.

I've come across the memory full error when using the zoom in the gallery. I haven't been able to single out any app as yet.
It's zooming fine now with F-Secure still active in the background.

Old 27-08-2006, 07:39 AM

vampiel is on a distinguished road
I got a N73 Phone, but i have a strange problem.. every time when i take a photo or transfer MP3 to my N73 phone, strangely enough that the pic/Mp3 wont not appear in the gallery. And i will have to go to Tools > File Manager > Memory card to look for it.

Any one has any idea how to tackle this problem?

Old 28-08-2006, 05:41 PM

g11069 is on a distinguished road
N73 Problem

I got a strange problem,

1) when ever i put the option "say caller tone" in my profiles menu. after some time, when a call comes, the phone restarts .

and the other one is

2) when we kept a theme. after restarting the phone the default theme replaces the selected theme.

can any one help me

Old 04-09-2006, 10:16 AM

nicelad_uk is on a distinguished road
Double names in Messages

Quite a bizzare problem with mine.

I transferred my contacts from my Sony Ericsson K800i 1 by 1 through bluetooth. Then i linked the n73 to the PC Suite and removed the last names and put it at the end of the 1st name, so each user has just 1 first name.

Contact, reading messages displays the names perfectly, but when i go to send a message, it shows the 1st name, and the old last name.

Very freaky!!!

So say Adam Smith is the first name, Smith used to be in the last name part. It shows Adam Smith Smith. Theres no way to remove it though!
Ads

Old 04-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Re: crashing problems - there's a known problem with some (most) ringtones crashing the phone if the 3-d Tones options are activated. If you turn this off, then the phone won't crash when playing ringtones.

Re: Pictures / music not appearing in Gallery - yes, I have this problem too - it seems that Gallery is reluctant to re-scan the phone's / memory card's memory sometimes.

The best solution I've found is to force Gallery to close using something like Taskman.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:42 AM

todbot is on a distinguished road
Arrow Contacts list name display setting doesn't work

In the Contacts list it displays contacts sorted by last name. You can supposedly change this. If you go into Options -> Settings -> Name display, you have three choices "Last nm. First nm", "Last nm., First nm" and "First nm. Last nm". But selecting any option besides the first one ("Last nm. First nm") is ignored.

This is extremely frustrating to me because I'm accustomed to searching for my friends by their first name, not their last name.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 AM

colin37400 is on a distinguished road
I find the radio reception on the N73 pretty poor. Seems not to be as good as my previous Sony Ericson phone.

It's rare that I get a proper stereo signal even on the main stations and if I do it keeps switching back and forth from stereo to mono, which I find very irritating, especially when listening to music.

I'd rather just listen in mono than put up with this, but there's no option to manually set it to mono only.

This is happening in central London, not some remote location in the mountains, by the way.

Would be interested to know if anyone else is having this problem? Maybe there's a fault with my phone and I should get it replaced ... otherwise, is this something that a firmware upgrade might deal with?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:59 PM

vergel23 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone experienced the "freezing sms"? when I'm sending SMS it will take more than a minute forthe phone to stop freezing before I can make use of the phone again. Any solutions? Has anyone tried the *#7780#?

Old 09-09-2006, 11:54 AM

Eulogy is on a distinguished road
I have a similar problem with the freezing sms, but it doesnt take as long as 1 minute. It doesnt bother me.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:14 PM

vergel23 is on a distinguished road
The *#7370# worked for the freezing sms but I don't know how long it will last. The "search" program was removed so as the settings wizard after formatting

Old 11-09-2006, 12:04 PM

tspierings is on a distinguished road
I am having a serious issue with VOICE DIALLING on the N73. This is critical when using a bluetooth carkit with the phone in the bag.

As I can no longer attach my own voice tags to contacts, so I depend on Nokia's new sophisticated voice dialling feature, which should allow you to dial any contact in you list by voice.

I noticed that the voice commands (e.g. Voice recorder, Voicemail, etc) generally work flawlessly, but that's because these simple english words are easy to recognise.

However, when selecting "play voice tag" on a contact name, the N73 produces a strange sound with many names, which is impossible to match with my voice. Understandable, the device does not know how to pronounce a lot of names.

It seems that there is a learning feature in the N73, which means that the device learns how a name must be recognised. But if I cannot get the device to recognise the name in the first place, how can it learn how to pronounce?

Someone else reported on this forum that voicedialling works fine with the N73. Here in Europe, I have names in different languages. It is logical that the device does not know how to pronounce the name.

Another issue with voice dialling is that, unlike all previous nokia models, it does not repeat my choice, so when I am driving with my phone in my bag, it is a surprise who will be on the phone.

So, please Nokia, change the firmware and let me attach my own voice tag again to the contacts, which worked fantastic on all previous models.

Besides this, I believe this is the best Nokia phone ever. It is the perfect balance between weight/size and functionality. When the new Papyrus version is launched, then there is no reason anymore to keep my PocketPC.

Tom

Old 15-09-2006, 12:07 PM

Eulogy is on a distinguished road
Here is the solution for freezing sms http://www.europe.nokia.com/A4149142

It works like a charm for me.