All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-12-2002, 12:58 AM

Zippy172 is on a distinguished road
Nokia PC Suite and Mitsumi USB BT dongle....

I have a Mitsumi USB BT Dongle, works a treat sending and receiving files from my PC to phone and vice-versa, have no probs awe inspiring my work colleagues remotely controlling Winamp with the Bemused client-server apps BUT, can I get the PC Suite (running on win2k in work) to talk to the Mitsumi BT application on COM10? Pfffft, like hell can I

Bemused works a treat, why doesn't the PC Suite?

Old 03-12-2002, 01:00 AM

MaleBuffy is on a distinguished road
Be more specific! What does not work? What error messages are you getting etc?

malebuffy@allaboutsymbian.com

http://www.symbiandiaries.com/malebuffy
http://www.symbianopensource.com

Old 03-12-2002, 01:06 AM

Hell yeah.. that was overly vague wasn't it ops:

Errm, from memory, the last time I tried using the PC Suite in work, some "connector" program starts up first which you have to define the link to the BT device, then you "open" the port... (ok, ok, hazy memory, perhaps not exactly as described)... in my case, the com port I need to use is COM10. The PC Suite just sits there like a lemon trying to access the com port, no cigar unfortunately... Bemused links to COM10 no probs - seems perhaps there are defaults the the suite is looking for?

The only other option is to hit cancel, which then closes down the PC Suite.

I'll have another "play" in work tomorrow (well, 7.5 hrs time!) and post a proper report of the fault as it goes...

Old 03-12-2002, 01:17 AM

You are probably talking about mRouter! Try to select all the possible COM ports! All of them! It does not matter what Bemused uses! Its irelevant! Please tell us which BT software your dongle uses. Is it Widcomm? If yes then you should see a small blue icon in the taskbar with the bluetooth logo.

Old 03-12-2002, 09:23 AM

Aye, mRouter, what appears to be the bane of my life at the moment... Here's the craic.

I am using a Mitsumi USB BT dongle, with software drivers version 1.0.0.7 (the latest version according to some German dude I had the pleasure of talking to the other week when I was attemping to shoe horn the drivers on my XP box at home - anyways, that's another story :roll: ) No real idea if they are Widcomm drivers, there doesn't seem to be any way of telling :cry:

Up in my icon tray I have the mRouter icon and the Mitstumi BT Suite icon (the A with blue beacon on top). Double clicking the mRouter icon brings up the connection properties, everything is ticked, yet the status column shows nothing connected If I then right mouse click on the mRouter icon and choose "Change device" again, nothing lists in either of the boxes.

Obviously, until I can get mRouter and my Mitsumi BT dongle to play ball, it's pointless me sparking up the PC Suite :roll:

So, which app is causing me the grief? Mitsumi drivers or mRouter? Given the BT dongle "talks" to my phone no probs (installed many apps, ringtones) and Bemused works on COM10...

Any help would be gratefully appreciated :-?

Old 03-12-2002, 09:32 AM

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2999&highlight=mitsumi+usb

Try searching the forum for "Mitsumi USB" in the search option. There are some pointer! If everything else fails! Come back and we are going to deal with it!

Old 03-12-2002, 01:38 PM

naivri is on a distinguished road
did your phone pair ok?

the default port it sets to is com0 which maps to com4

also, there was a newer version of widcomm which addressed faults in virtual com ports. maybe your stack has a similar one.

the important uestion is did your phone pair with your pc?

Old 17-12-2002, 12:00 AM

Unconfirmed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy172
Aye, mRouter, what appears to be the bane of my life at the moment... Here's the craic.

I am using a Mitsumi USB BT dongle, with software drivers version 1.0.0.7 (the latest version according to some German dude I had the pleasure of talking to the other week when I was attemping to shoe horn the drivers on my XP box at home - anyways, that's another story :roll: ) No real idea if they are Widcomm drivers, there doesn't seem to be any way of telling :cry:

Up in my icon tray I have the mRouter icon and the Mitstumi BT Suite icon (the A with blue beacon on top). Double clicking the mRouter icon brings up the connection properties, everything is ticked, yet the status column shows nothing connected If I then right mouse click on the mRouter icon and choose "Change device" again, nothing lists in either of the boxes.

Obviously, until I can get mRouter and my Mitsumi BT dongle to play ball, it's pointless me sparking up the PC Suite :roll:

So, which app is causing me the grief? Mitsumi drivers or mRouter? Given the BT dongle "talks" to my phone no probs (installed many apps, ringtones) and Bemused works on COM10...

Any help would be gratefully appreciated :-?
This is the exact same problem I'm getting. If you look in device manager do you have a ? on the Bluetooth COM Bridge? I think this is where our problem lies. If you happen accross a solution PLEASE! send me a mail or something...This is driving me crazy! Might just ditch the crappy Mitsumi Dongle and get a 'better' one

Old 17-12-2002, 03:56 AM

dont ditch the dongle, I've been having the same problem but have finally fixed it WOOT WOOT!!!!

Spent all day. installing and uninstalling bluetooth stuff. I'll try and outline what you need to do to get it working.

1. Don't stick in the dongle yet!!!
2. Install the mitsumi bluetooth software that came with the dongle. Restart
3. Plug in dongle, let it install the drivers for it.

At this point you should be able to transfer files between pc and 7650, but PC Suite won't work. If thats all you want, then stop here.

4. Unplug dongle, uninstall mitsumi software. Restart. This removes the manager, but doesn't remove the drivers for the dongle.
5. Install the bluetooth software from here http://www.itgs.co.uk/acatalog/Support.html Restart.
6. Plug in dongle, it should just start working without any 'new hardware found' type things.

Now I was trying alot of different things now, so I'm not 100% sure on this part, but basically make sure that the new bluetooth manager can detect the phone. You can also try bemused to check if theres a proper serial connection being setup. Start up pc suite, and select the correct com port with mrouter, it takes a couple of seconds for it to register, you will get a window up asking which device to use (select 7650) and the phone should beep and ask for a pass code, put in any number, and then the pc will ask for the passcode, put in the same number. And it should work now.

With this setup I can connect through pc suite, and send files to the phone, but I can't send things from the phone to the pc. Thats my only problem now.

A bit long winded, but hopefully it will help some people.

teacup

Old 17-12-2002, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
dont ditch the dongle, I've been having the same problem but have finally fixed it WOOT WOOT!!!!

Spent all day. installing and uninstalling bluetooth stuff. I'll try and outline what you need to do to get it working.

1. Don't stick in the dongle yet!!!
2. Install the mitsumi bluetooth software that came with the dongle. *SNIP* teacup
Ah ha! That's where the problem starts at home on my XP box. The drivers are alledged to work on XP, but I get (I guess) approximately 60% through the installation, I get the blue screen of death :-?

I'm now stuck in an endless loop of hitting the "cancel" button every time I boot my machine cuz XP informs me there is new hardware to install, yet if I continue the install, I get the BSOD every time... If I try to uninstall the drivers, I also get the BSOD :(

Mitsumi in Germany are clueless to the extreme! Their advice was to uninstall SP1 before installing the drivers... LOL Yeah, riiiiiiight....

I've spent probably close to an hour hacking through the registry trying to find and remove any references to Mitstumi, and I've also attempted (and failed by the looks of things) to hack the USB renumeration stuffs to try and stop XP from reporting this "new" hardware (which isn't present!) every time I boot...

I'm now using my Mitsumi USB BT dongle here at work, on Win2K, with the Cyber Blue 'Blue Manager' quite successfully with the Nokia PC Suite. Hurrah!

Anyone got any top tips regarding USB renumerations?

Old 17-12-2002, 07:55 PM

Unconfirmed is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Anyone got any top tips regarding USB renumerations?
Yep. I had pretty much the same problem...I think.

Try using Reg Cleaner.

Cured my BSODs with the Mitsumi software.

Old 18-12-2002, 10:50 AM

daveyjohn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm now using my Mitsumi USB BT dongle here at work, on Win2K, with the Cyber Blue 'Blue Manager' quite successfully with the Nokia PC Suite. Hurrah!

Well, I spent another frustrating few hours trying to get my Mitsumi dongle working with XP yesterday - and sadly, I got nowhere as well. :x

I've now tried pretty much everything I can think of.

Apart from the advice in this thread, I found another old thread which looked promising:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2999&highlight=mitsumi+usb

So, I've tried using the Widcomm drivers, and I've tried using the Blue Manager drivers, but although I can get the software communicating with my 7650 (moving files both ways, pairing, etc) - I can't get PC Suite to communicate with my phone under Windows XP.

Whatever software or drivers are installed, mRouter just will not see my phone under XP. All of the appropriate ports are installed and working correctly in device manager and they are ticked in the mRouter properties window. But still there is no connection, even though the phone and my computer can communicate otherwise using whatever BT software happened to be installed.

I thought I'd cracked it under Windows 2000 when I got mRouter to see my phone with the Blue Manager software/drivers installed, but then PC Suite just hung on start up. Grr!!

After so much installing and removing and rebooting and re-installing I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that this Mitsumi dongle won't work with PC Suite under XP. My XP installation ended up getting so confused yesterday that I had to uninstall all BT software, then manually strip out any driver files and registry entries relating to anything BT, otherwise I couldn't even get basic file transfers and device discovery working.

So I'll wait for the rumoured new version of PC Suite to arrive, but if that still doesn't work, I'll chalk this up to experience and buy a new MSI or 3com dongle. In the mean time, I've gone back to the orginal Mitsumi software which will at least let me exchange files between phone and PC.

The only other option I can think of is to try using XP's compatibility mode so mRouter and PC Suite run is if under Windows98/2000. But that's a long shot.

I'll also try installing everything under Windows 98 or ME, so at least I can get some kind of backup if anything happened to my phone again.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 7650 is a great phone, but my god it's caused me some trouble over the last three months. :x

Old 18-12-2002, 11:58 AM

ephebe is on a distinguished road
Davey, I had major problems with PC Suite on XP after I installed SP1. If you've got that installed, it might be worth trying to remove it. I tried the different compatability modes with PC suite, and it made no difference. One other thing, If you're running a firewall its worth turning it off to see if that makes any difference.

Good luck

Andy.

Old 18-12-2002, 12:12 PM

sanjay2402 is on a distinguished road
Long time no see Andy . Nice to see you back

Old 18-12-2002, 12:17 PM

daveyjohn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephebe
Davey, I had major problems with PC Suite on XP after I installed SP1. If you've got that installed, it might be worth trying to remove it. I tried the different compatability modes with PC suite, and it made no difference. One other thing, If you're running a firewall its worth turning it off to see if that makes any difference.

Good luck

Andy.

Thanks Andy.

Unfortunately, this was a fresh install of XP Pro (defintely no SP1 on it). I'd had to re-install it at the weekend after some major problems and hardware upgrades.

As for a firewall? Hmm... well, my computer is sitting behind a router/firewall on a home network connected to a cable modem, so there's no actual firewall software installed on my PC itself. I'm guessing you mean there could be some sort of incompatibility with something like Zone Alarm or PC-Cillin, etc? None of which are installed, because I don't really need them.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway. Anything is welcome at this point But I'm pretty much resigned to this thing not working with XP and PC Suite.