All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-12-2002, 05:00 PM

spikeymike is on a distinguished road
Free internet access for *anyone with free time*

Hi guys,

This has already been posted by msce17, but I thought I'd add a little update, and heopfully draw more people's attention to it.

Clara's home internet access offers a free trial to a local rate number - as the service is based in London, this number begins with 020 7. Anyone on a tariff with free minutes to UK land-lines will be able to call this number for free, and use it for free web access.

As I'm on T-mobile's tariff that gives free calls to land-lines after 7PM and all weekend, this works out a pretty good deal for me! Remember that this is the company that charges 4 per MB for GPRS!

These calls showed up on my bill as data and wap calls, and their cost was added to my bill's total. I phoned up t-mobile and said that these calls shouldn't be on there as they are obviously to local numbers, and they were removed.

I phoned again to query the validity of these calls, and a CSA told me they would be charged. I told her that there was nothing in my contract about this, and I was not happy. I told her to check with her supervisor, which she did, and she came back with the great news that these calls are all free, and to phone up and complain if any are ever put on my phone bill!

I recorded these calls "for my records", so if any of you guys get charged for these calls, I'll post my conversation log for you to play to them!

Old 02-12-2002, 05:05 PM

mcse17 is on a distinguished road
confirmed

Hi Mikey,

Thats right.. Ive never been charged for calls to clara.net as these are taken from my free minutes.. just imagine what someone with the the old free daytime calls can do!!

Old 02-12-2002, 07:04 PM

please can you email me a copy of the telephone recording? i need it to prove to T MOBILE that it is free as this irish person told me that it's not included, even though i'm on the 750 minutes free at evening and weekends, the only numbers which arent inlcuded are 0845, 0870 and 0345 and that stuff, all 01 and 02 are free for me in the free minutes allowance. anyway, please could you email the call to sputniknick@hotmail.com please and nk8@pm.t-mobile.co.uk if possible as that'll go straight to my phone and will be much easier for me, but either way is fine thanks.

NK

Old 02-12-2002, 08:39 PM

omar_g is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Remember that this is the company that charges 4 per MB for GPRS!
Sounds good to me, amongst the cheapest in the UK! I thought it was 20 per MB.

If it wasn't a typo, how do you get GPRS so cheap. I'm waiting for prices to drop on t-mobile.

Old 03-12-2002, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar_g
Quote:
Remember that this is the company that charges 4 per MB for GPRS!
Sounds good to me, amongst the cheapest in the UK! I thought it was 20 per MB.

If it wasn't a typo, how do you get GPRS so cheap. I'm waiting for prices to drop on t-mobile.
Yep... I think you all knew deep down inside that that was a typo! T-mobile GPRS is 2p per KB, which makes it 20 per MB! I was checking the Orange create your own talkk plan thing, and they offer unlimited GPRS for 4 per month... that's a bloody good deal!

Spikey

Old 03-12-2002, 01:23 PM

naivri is on a distinguished road
i f**king new i should have switched to orange when i got this phone !!!!

guess who's favourite scotsman is on t-mobile

*sob*

Old 03-12-2002, 03:41 PM

h3r0 is on a distinguished road
Re: Free internet access for t-mobile customers

thats not actually true ALL data calls are charged at 10p/min so ur lucky

Old 03-12-2002, 04:13 PM

Re: Free internet access for t-mobile customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3r0
thats not actually true ALL data calls are charged at 10p/min so ur lucky
I would say that my post kind of shows that's incorrect! Although it's being used as a data call, it is still being billed as part of my free minutes.

If t-mobile try to tell you any different, don't take any crap from them! ;-)
Ads

Old 03-12-2002, 04:45 PM

naivri is on a distinguished road
according to t-mobile when i called them, this isnt a data call as it is a local rate call. thats what they told me....if when i get my bill in its different....they will hear from me !

Old 03-12-2002, 06:57 PM

IconBoy is on a distinguished road
Dat calls/local calls

So how do you get the call to be registered as a land-call instead of data call? I am using Orange and on my bill it shows
44845xxxxx Data 0.32

for the 0845 number. Will Orange only know it is a data call by the way the call is connected to a number or by the fact that yu connect to a computer?
Just wondering if this internet workaround would work with Orange Everytime minutes...?

Old 03-12-2002, 09:51 PM

shrz is on a distinguished road
Right, so for the non technical person here how exactly do we use the 0207 number, im on freetime extra, how do we use the clara internet thingy?

Old 04-12-2002, 10:54 AM

Re: Dat calls/local calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconBoy
So how do you get the call to be registered as a land-call instead of data call? I am using Orange and on my bill it shows:
44845xxxxx Data 0.32

for the 0845 number. Will Orange only know it is a data call by the way the call is connected to a number or by the fact that yu connect to a computer?
Just wondering if this internet workaround would work with Orange Everytime minutes...?
Calls to 0845 are local-rate calls, but this is not the same as a local call to a land-line. An 0845 number is charged as local-rate wherever you call if from, and will be charged a set amount, depending on your tariff/operator.

My connection to Clara is going via an 0207 number which is a local call to me as I live in london. If you do too (or if any land-line is included in your free minutes), this should apply for you as well.

Orange can tell if the call is voice or data by the carrier signal.... so they could technically charge you for a data call, depending on how your contract is worded. T-mobile slipped up slightly here, as my contract says calls to ANY land-line are free, so they can't charge me for it.

Old 04-12-2002, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrz
Right, so for the non technical person here how exactly do we use the 0207 number, im on freetime extra, how do we use the clara internet thingy?
http://allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4801&highlight=clara

Old 04-12-2002, 12:41 PM

"Message sending Failed"

Anyone know why i get the above message when sending an email from the 7650.

I am using Claranet and sometimes the email goes, other times it says "General System Error" and other times it says "Message Failed"

Any idea????

Old 04-12-2002, 01:44 PM

omar_g is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yep... I think you all knew deep down inside that that was a typo! T-mobile GPRS is 2p per KB, which makes it 20 per MB! I was checking the Orange create your own talkk plan thing, and they offer unlimited GPRS for 4 per month... that's a bloody good deal!
I'd been really pleased, I thought you'd found some new GPRS tariff!

Beware of the Orange Acess Pack (4pm) it is limited to WAP only. A full TCP/IP GPRS pack starts at 6 for 0.5mb