All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-08-2007, 08:58 AM

setspeed is on a distinguished road
N73 battery woe

My N73 has played up recently. Battery life which used to be great has gone straight down the toilet - to the point where even just light use drains the battery by the end of the day.
The first day this happened i charged the phone fully and the backlight refused to turn off/power saver did not kick in.
I rebooted the phone and this problem went away again.

Things which have happened recently:
I have added a 1gig miniSD card which i have filled music (but dont regularly use the music player)

Nothing else has changed except that by the end of the day i used to still have a fully charged phone, but im now looking at it after taking it off charge 5hrs ago and having hardly used it, and two battery bars have gone already.

Any ideas?
N73 on O2
Firmware v3.0707.1.0.1
Ads

Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by setspeed View Post
My N73 has played up recently. Battery life which used to be great has gone straight down the toilet - to the point where even just light use drains the battery by the end of the day.
The first day this happened i charged the phone fully and the backlight refused to turn off/power saver did not kick in.
I rebooted the phone and this problem went away again.

Things which have happened recently:
I have added a 1gig miniSD card which i have filled music (but dont regularly use the music player)

Nothing else has changed except that by the end of the day i used to still have a fully charged phone, but im now looking at it after taking it off charge 5hrs ago and having hardly used it, and two battery bars have gone already.

Any ideas?
N73 on O2
Firmware v3.0707.1.0.1
Sorry Firmware is: v3.0704.1.0.1

Old 02-08-2007, 09:16 AM

naughtydude is on a distinguished road
u need to update the firmware... the nseries phones (smartphones) battery usually does not last very long because of some hardware factors like bluetooth, having it on dual network mode (re-picking up UMTS and GSM), the display backlight, and of course the talk time... so yeah basically the battery is a b*tch!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:24 AM

N73 battery woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtydude View Post
u need to update the firmware... the nseries phones (smartphones) battery usually does not last very long because of some hardware factors like bluetooth, having it on dual network mode (re-picking up UMTS and GSM), the display backlight, and of course the talk time... so yeah basically the battery is a b*tch!
I thought someone might say that! I dont really want to though, as ive got my phone set out the way i like it, all the software etc i want on it!
Im also a bit wary about flashing my phone again - i have done it twice before (because O2 would not sanction updated firmware) but would not say im at all confident in doing it.

If this is the only way round my probs then i suppose ill have to do it - however im still confused as to what has prompted my battery probs, as it was absolutely fine until 3 or 4 days ago?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:25 AM

Drofidnas is on a distinguished road
As long as you use the Phone Backup in PC Suite you will get your phone back exactly the way you like it and have it now.

All phone-stored software will be backed up, all messages, calendar entries, plus tone settings, themes even the menu layout and icon locations if you've changed those.

The only manual intervention you may have to do is to install any card-based software.

I'm on O2 and had similar problems with my previous N70 ie. O2 only accrediting up to a certain firmware point. I've flashed my N73 four times now and have had no problems - the phone you know and love always comes back after a restore via PC Suite!

As to your wider battery problem, have you just always had a duff battery that has now decided to give up the ghost? Have you tried the phone without the 1gig card again since you've been having problems?

C:\hris

Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM

N73 battery woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofidnas View Post
As long as you use the Phone Backup in PC Suite you will get your phone back exactly the way you like it and have it now.

All phone-stored software will be backed up, all messages, calendar entries, plus tone settings, themes even the menu layout and icon locations if you've changed those.

The only manual intervention you may have to do is to install any card-based software.

I'm on O2 and had similar problems with my previous N70 ie. O2 only accrediting up to a certain firmware point. I've flashed my N73 four times now and have had no problems - the phone you know and love always comes back after a restore via PC Suite!

As to your wider battery problem, have you just always had a duff battery that has now decided to give up the ghost? Have you tried the phone without the 1gig card again since you've been having problems?

C:\hris
No, ive not tried removing the memory card yet, although it was completely full up - dont know if deleting most of the stuff on it would make a difference?
I think ill try your suggestion of backing up, and then flash it - hopefully the prob will go away!
I dont know if ive got a dodgy battery - its always been ok up until now, although i did have to return the handset after a few mths due to it giving up the ghost, and they (O2) replaced it with a refurbished handset. I assume the battery couldve been dodgy but it all looked good as new then.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:01 PM

naughtydude is on a distinguished road
oh and also warm room temperature drains the battery

Old 18-08-2007, 05:34 PM

Just an update - i deleted most of the files on memory card and the battery life has gone back to pretty much how it was before.
The memory card is a Kingston 1gb off Ebay - which i suppose could be a cheap fake, i dont know how to tell the difference.
It really seems like the memory card is the cause of the problem though. Anyone else experience similar issues?