All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-07-2006, 06:31 PM

saldous is on a distinguished road
E61 questions / problems

I've only had this running for 2 days so please forvige me if these things are easy to do but I've not found a way to do it yet so would appreciate anyones help:

1) I receive an email that has a phone number in it. I want to call that number? How the hell do I get this to work? I can highlight the number but I can't copy it, I can't add to contacts (it only adds the email address) and I cna't click on the green call button on it either. This is something the BB8700 does perfectly and is a major issue on the E61

2) I want to place a call to someone in my contacts, so far all I can work out is that I have to press menu, go to contacts and then search the name and call it. There is no shortcut / one button press to get you straight to contacts. A bit of an issue for a phone! (update, I found how to change the bottom left option (default is Notes) to go to contacts).

3) I can't get it to connect to my wireless. The wireless has a password to get in but I can't find anywhere on my device to type in the password to allow it to connect. It searches and finds the network fine. How do I enter the wireless password?

4) The top menu bar on the home screen, how can I add contacts to this list? I want to remove the clock from there and add in contacts.

5) Email, how do I change the default mailbox shown when presing the mesages button? I have BES for my work mail and BIS for my home mail. Both mailboxes show up fine and work, but when I click on the messages button it takes me straight to my home mailbox and I want it to take me to my work one by default.

6) Menu button, last night it stopped working and I had to turn the phone off and on again to get it to work. Anyone else had this?

7) Default mailbox for creating a new email. I set this as "Blackberry" but after typing a message there is no send option! I have to go to type a new message and change the default from Blackberry to ... Blackberry and then it works. Stoopid thing.

8) BB Connect synchronises all my contacts. If someone sends me a text though, the messages screen shows the senders number, not their name stores in my contacts. How do you change this as it is really annoying.

Old 31-07-2006, 07:29 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
For the "home screen" (standby mode) apps, see menu > Tools > Settings > Phone > Standby mode > Active standby apps.

For creating WLAN/WiFi access settings, see menu > Tools > Settings > Connection > Access points > Options > New access point (create one where the "Data bearer" is "Wireless LAN").

If the messages screen shows the number and not the name, then it means that either the sender is not in Contacts at all, or the number has been assigned to more than one contact record (in which case the software does not know which name to show, so it shows none).

You might also want to read the phone's User's Guide for information about what you can do with the device (and how).

Old 31-07-2006, 10:16 AM

Thanks, I've got contacts on the quick menu now and also managed to get connected to my wireless LAN.

Caller ID also isn't working. Why isn't it referencing numbers against names in my contacts. I've tried a number of numbers that I know are not duplicated and are definately in my contacts.
Ads

Old 31-07-2006, 12:57 PM

OK, caller ID started to work, I didn't change anything, it just works.. very strange indeed.

Can you change the font size when reading / composing emails? I can't stand the way it scrolls and want to see more on the screen at a time.