All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-07-2006, 04:27 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Strange messaging problem: not enough memory to receive messages

Hi,

Since yesterday, i'm getting really strange warning messages from my E61. 4 times already, a warning message suddently poped up on the phone (while it was just sitting on the table doing nothing) telling me: "Not enough memory to receive message(s). Delete some data first". And a blinking enveloppe icon appears and starts blinking just below the battery indicator.

I really don't know what to think or do. I haven't been able to find anything in the manual about that. I only have 4 SMS in my inbox but even deleting them doesn't change anything, the enveloppe icon keeps blinking. I've got maybe 15-20 emails but that can't be that. I haven't installed or configured any push email client and i haven't set the email client to check for emails automatically. I've set Messaging to store its data in the phone memory and i've got 32MB free on the phone and 70MB free in the memory card anyway. There are no other applications running.

If i restart the phone, the blinking enveloppe goes away but then, a little while later, it comes back together with the warning message. I'm wondering if people are trying to send me SMS but the phone refuses them for some reason. What's wrong? I've run out of ideas here so i would appreciate some help.

Cheers.

Old 24-07-2006, 04:39 PM

I've just sent a SMS to myself and i received it fine even though the enveloppe is still blinking. So it doesn't seem to be related to the SMS. But what then? This really annoys me.

Old 24-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
If you haven't done anything that set this off, then perhaps you have a faulty unit? Not much help I know, but I can't really think of anything else that might cause it.

Old 25-07-2006, 08:49 AM

markrich is on a distinguished road
Perhaps your unit's memory is fragmented? Try shutting down more apps which are running concurrently and a couple of resets should probably cure it I would imagine.

Old 25-07-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrich
Perhaps your unit's memory is fragmented? Try shutting down more apps which are running concurrently and a couple of resets should probably cure it I would imagine.
Thanks to you and krisse for trying to help. I hope that this is not caused by a hardware issue though. The fragmented theory is interesting and i hadn't thought of that. I admit that i don't even know how Symbian OS manages its memory but it still sounds odd that this might cause a problem. Anyway, i've restarted the phone again, the blinking envelope went away and hasn't come back yet so you might be right. Let's wait and see.

Last edited by elp; 25-07-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Ads

Old 25-07-2006, 10:59 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrich
"Try shutting down more apps which are running concurrently and a couple of resets should probably cure it I would imagine" - Same opinion for me - usually a reset cure a lot!!!

Old 25-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
That's very discouraging to see a Symbian device relying on a reboot to work properly. This is one of the great strengths of steering away from PPC and WM. These devices were/are notorious for that and Symbian was always 'rock solid' with reboots needed once in a blue moon. I'm afraid that I find the E61 needs rebooting regularly - or rather that it does it itself, strangely and usually when in Messaging whilst composing a 'Reply' to an SMS. It will just shut off and reboot. (Much like the Sony Ericsson P800 did all the time running UIQ) Now I'm sure some of that's to do with us pillocks being early adopters and if you buy an E61 in a year's time it will be much more stable but it is a bit worrying as this didn't used to happen much.

Tim

Old 25-07-2006, 02:05 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon
That's very discouraging to see a Symbian device relying on a reboot to work properly. This is one of the great strengths of steering away from PPC and WM. These devices were/are notorious for that and Symbian was always 'rock solid' with reboots needed once in a blue moon. I'm afraid that I find the E61 needs rebooting regularly - or rather that it does it itself, strangely and usually when in Messaging whilst composing a 'Reply' to an SMS. It will just shut off and reboot. (Much like the Sony Ericsson P800 did all the time running UIQ) Now I'm sure some of that's to do with us pillocks being early adopters and if you buy an E61 in a year's time it will be much more stable but it is a bit worrying as this didn't used to happen much.

Tim
The symbian, mature devices, are "rock solid"... But like you said, the new phones with new software versions, have always some problems. Only after upgrades they start to work more solid!

Old 16-08-2006, 08:41 PM

vbmot is on a distinguished road
I experienced the same problem today. After the first wave of panic about my baby being faulty, I started searching the menu's and experimenting. Apparently, some message (probably sent by the network) has to be stored on the SIM. Just (re)move several messages from the SIM (accessible through Messages/Options/SIM messages) to the phone and the nag will not re-appear.

Old 16-08-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbmot
I experienced the same problem today. After the first wave of panic about my baby being faulty, I started searching the menu's and experimenting. Apparently, some message (probably sent by the network) has to be stored on the SIM. Just (re)move several messages from the SIM (accessible through Messages/Options/SIM messages) to the phone and the nag will not re-appear.
Thanks for trying to help. I went to the SIM messages section but there are no messages at all there Yet, i still get this annoying message and blinking envelope every now and then forcing me to reboot regularly (a real shame since the phone is otherwise rock solid and never requires a reboot). I'm still on the lookout for the solution to this problem.

Old 18-08-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp
Thanks for trying to help. I went to the SIM messages section but there are no messages at all there Yet, i still get this annoying message and blinking envelope every now and then forcing me to reboot regularly (a real shame since the phone is otherwise rock solid and never requires a reboot). I'm still on the lookout for the solution to this problem.
There's a new firmware available for the N80. The list of fixes can be found here: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=49979

And in there, you'll find: "- Envelope icon doesn't stop blinking until phone is rebooted".

So it looks like it's bug that can be fixed via a firmware update. Let's hope the E61 one is not going to take too long to get released.

Old 14-11-2006, 08:00 PM

taranggg is on a distinguished road
hi

Old 15-11-2006, 11:12 PM

psu345 is on a distinguished road
I think this is a serious bug on this phone. I've been searching other forums for people with this same problem and I've come across a decent number of cases, so I don't believe it to be an isolated case. This memory problem has been driving me crazy, because I actually lose text messages due to the error. After examining the problem more, I think the problem is related to the IM program. The IM program that comes standard on the E62 is extremely buggy. It continues to stay online when you sign it off, and when trying to exit the program it continues to run in the background. In one case, I received the memory error the moment I signed on AIM with my computer. When I hold the menu button to pull up the currently running programs, the IM app is there. Trying to close it does nothing, because it will appear again in 5-10 seconds. I think this is a serious problem that Nokia needs to address. A patch is needed to resolve this problem, whether it is a memory management problem or a poorly written IM client. This is ridiculous, shame on Nokia for releasing a product with such a glaring bug. I hope some attention can be brought to this issue and fixed.

Old 24-11-2006, 08:28 AM

d1st123 is on a distinguished road
same problem

I have the same exact problem with the IM function, I cant remove it , every time I try to exit the program it will pop back up with in 5-10 seconds, I think that is what is causing the delete data error with my txt messaging, I have done 3 hard resets and it works for about 10 minutes and then I get the txt messaging error again. I have no idea how to fix this problem with my e62

Old 24-11-2006, 10:30 PM

davekaybsc is on a distinguished road
I am also having the issue with "memory full" and the IM application trying to launch itself over and over. This started happening literally a minute after I used the built in IM application for the first time. *#7370# resets do not fix it. Even re-flashing the firmware with Nokia Software Updater does not fix it. The only thing Nokia tech support was able to tell me is that this is "not normal" and that I should send it to a tech center to be repaired. There apparently is no solution.

DONT TOUCH THE BUILT IN OZ IM PROGRAM WITH A TEN FOOT POLE. IT WILL BREAK YOUR PHONE!