All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-07-2006, 11:40 AM

ellmannvictor is on a distinguished road
which apps are free while using and which ones are not?

I just received my n80 three days ago and I'm still waiting for my old number to be transfered, so I can't actually use it to make calls or use any app that needs a signal.

I know this sounds stupid, but what applications are free and what do you pay to use (will end up on your phone bill)?

obviously accesing the internet is not free, but what about applications like the one that displays the weather on you phone or the google maps app? do they require a constant connection to the internet?

you can gather that i know next to nothing about phones, but I'd like to change that, with you help.

so basically what is free and what not?

thanks

Old 10-07-2006, 12:20 PM

Jaffa-cake is on a distinguished road
probably, unless they use some kind of gps

Old 10-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Anything that uses data will cost you. This is because esentially they are all accessing the Internet to get information. Weather will cost very little, where as Goog Maps costs more because more information is transferred.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:02 AM

Ok, call this the dummie's guide to mobile internet.

so, when accessing the net for data with any aplication, you basically pay per kb and not by the amount of time you access the net?

Old 11-07-2006, 09:08 AM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellmannvictor
Ok, call this the dummie's guide to mobile internet.

so, when accessing the net for data with any aplication, you basically pay per kb and not by the amount of time you access the net?
Thats what I believe, I usually just find the nearest wifi hotspot and use wifi ..its free, but you would be best to check with your mobile operator just to be sure.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 AM

cool, thanks

now something else. how would i connect when i'm in a wi-fi hotspot? how will i know when my phone is within range? and how will i know i'm connecting to the net via wi-fi and not the usual way?

Old 11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The WiFi is a seperate indicator and a seperate access point. You're probably best of waiting for your phone becuase its fairly obvious.

When connecting you either need to choose the WLAN hotspot (if you set the access point to always ask) or use a WLAN Access point (you can set this up in Settings along with other access points).

Old 11-07-2006, 10:42 AM

Cash is on a distinguished road
to connect to the web via wifi you have to find the web browser and not the wap browser, they are easy to confuse because the look the same, only difference is the web browser has some little white lines on it.

you can connect through this and it will search for a wifi network, if it finds one you can select it.

There are a number of ways to find a Hotspot, you can look on the web, there are sites that list hotspots, I know all the hotspots in the City that I live so if I am out and need to connect I just try find a bar or cafe near the hotspot and connect there. this way doesn't take into account other hotspots that may be available, for instance if somebody has a wifi network and they left it open, you could connect through this.

the phone has a search application also you can use that will find the nearest hotspot

Or you can download a hotspot finder program, you can leave these running and they will notify if they find a hotspot, but of course you quickly run out of battery power unless you just use it when you need to.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:11 PM

thanks

and what about push to talk, what can you tell me about that?

Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
PTT (or PoC, Push-to-tall over Cellular): http://www.nokia.com/poc

It is a network service. It uses packet data. How much it costs to use depends on the service provider (operator). If they don't offer a PTT service, the client app on the phone is useless (it is also useless, if you don't have anybody to talk to that also is subscribed to the same service).