All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-07-2006, 11:16 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield
@Cash
I read your post correctly. That was the same test I did. Sleep mode activated, GSM mode. Wifi off. BT off. No camera, video, gallery, apps. Nothing. 2 or 3 calls, 5 or 6 sms and got only 60hrs off it.
Regds
Ok I see...I didnt read your post correctly, accept my appologies ..

Well the battery actually only lasted 60 hours anyway, the final bars seemed to dissapear rather quickly.

Old 13-07-2006, 05:56 AM

mgoodson45 is on a distinguished road
I removed the operator text and variant information (..) for anonymity reason. But i do have the firmware :-)

Anyhow, I know the battery life is worse than others. But I always have two nokia charger in my desk. When I'm working in my desk, I plugged them into the charger. When i'm my car, I have a carkit that charge the phone.

On top of this, I always carry extra battery in my suitcase...

So battery is not a problem.... When I use firmware 1.x.x.x, the battery life was only 2 hours but now it has gone better...

Old 13-07-2006, 08:55 AM

Jayd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodson45
I removed the operator text and variant information (..) for anonymity reason. But i do have the firmware :-)

Anyhow, I know the battery life is worse than others. But I always have two nokia charger in my desk. When I'm working in my desk, I plugged them into the charger. When i'm my car, I have a carkit that charge the phone.

On top of this, I always carry extra battery in my suitcase...

So battery is not a problem.... When I use firmware 1.x.x.x, the battery life was only 2 hours but now it has gone better...
So whats the problem in sharing it if you have it?

Old 13-07-2006, 05:20 PM

bulldog188 is on a distinguished road
I've just completed the 3 cycle recharges and have to say I've seen a vast improvement so far in battery life. Since finishing the final charge yesterday I've made a few calls prob about 15 mins in total and sent some texts out. Played Snakes for about 10 mins last night, used alarm this morning [snoozed a couple of times haha] and had a missed call ring out this afternoon also used planet 3 for about 10 mins. Phone is still on full bars over 24 hours later!! Result!!! I have bluetooth and wifi off. using a theme called 'dark' or something similar and have all of my power save settings to maximum ie shortest timeouts etc. Screen illumination is set to medium. I have 3g still enabled [when i have signal] but it's still looking for it. I'm probably still gonna keep my eye out for a battery with a hight mAH value as longer the better is still the case but at least I'm getting resonable life out of the standard batt.

Old 13-07-2006, 07:04 PM

I have just found this site about batteries if anybody is interested in taking the time to read, look for lithium - ion in the table

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-23.htm
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-21.htm

It appears ther are a number of key issues with the lithium - ion battery

1, they DONT need the initial full charge that we are all told they need to get full capacity.

2, they DONT require any charge/discharge cyles, except for once per month is reccommended.

3, full cycle charging should be avoided as this creates wear and full discharging should also be avoided, low voltage may cut off safety circuits.

4, its recommended to charge more often while the battery has capacity then to wait for a full discharge and then do a complete full charge, the battery lasts longer with partial rather than full discharges

so as my battery discharges every day with normal use and I have no means to charge it up untill I get home, then have to apply a full charge over night this does actually damage the usefull life of the battery!!!!!!!!!!!! and surely that has to be seen as a fundamental design flaw of the N80

Last edited by Cash; 13-07-2006 at 07:11 PM.

Old 14-07-2006, 09:50 AM

burnsyboy is on a distinguished road
Right, well my new battery should be here by tomorrow. Im gonna put it on charge as soon as i get it, leave it for about 3-5hrs then use it itll 3 bars and recharge. Im just gonna send my old battery back to Orange and forget about the 16hr charge, fully discharge cycle.

Hopefully it'll be fine. What people thinking? Follow Isidor Buchmann?

From the site:
About the Author
Isidor Buchmann is the founder and CEO of Cadex Electronics Inc., in Vancouver BC.
Mr. Buchmann has a background in radio communications and has studied the behavior of rechargeable batteries in practical, everyday applications for two decades. Award winning author of many articles and books on batteries, Mr. Buchmann has delivered technical papers around the world.

Old 14-07-2006, 10:58 AM

Mr Buchmann gets my vote,

When I did my 16 hour charge/recharge cycles I didn't see any improvement at all in the life of the battery.

I dont actually think these batteries are as tempremental as we are led to believe, I have even taken batteries back before and the assistance have told me that they wont replace if I didnt go through the initial charge period, i think its just an excuse to get out of giving a replacement.

If the initial charge was that important, then all batteries would either be supplied fully charged, or fully discharged, not partially charged.

Old 15-07-2006, 07:44 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Cash - I dont actually think these batteries are as tempremental as we are led to believe -

I believe that nowadays, the batteries (Li- Ion / Li - Pol) are as the engine of the cars, already they had been tested in board, before came out to the market. On fact its duration does not depend on the initial form of the use!

Old 15-07-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7
Cash - I dont actually think these batteries are as tempremental as we are led to believe -

I believe that nowadays, the batteries (Li- Ion / Li - Pol) are as the engine of the cars, already they had been tested in board, before came out to the market. On fact its duration does not depend on the initial form of the use!
Agreed, if the initial charge was that important, then they would either be supplied fully charged or fully discharged, not partially charged as they always are.

Old 16-07-2006, 01:34 AM

_Dx_ is on a distinguished road
well i have to say something, im pretty happy with my n80s battery cuz im not getting those problems of 3 hrs of usage, im always connected to wifi, i use agile messenger a lot im always cheking my mail, openning pdf and docs, like 10 texts per day a couple of calls like 15 mins per day, and when i get home i swich off wifi and i still get 2 bars on phone, i plug it to charge at 12 then i wake up at 7 go and take a shower i unplug it like 8:00 and i go office, then i switch wlan on, wlan its turned on like 6 hrs and a half and i have bluetooth always on, i use GSM and GPRS there is no 3G on mexico my firmware is the latest flashed with the .08 firmware file, i bought it like 3 month ago, at the beginning i had to use my secondary batt that is on my wallet (this is the one that came with the phone), i bought my BL-5b batt from a nokia service center and its the one im using right now because i noticed that the replacement was better than the factory battery it lasted a lot more.

Old 16-07-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dx_
well i have to say something, im pretty happy with my n80s battery cuz im not getting those problems of 3 hrs of usage, im always connected to wifi, i use agile messenger a lot im always cheking my mail, openning pdf and docs, like 10 texts per day a couple of calls like 15 mins per day, and when i get home i swich off wifi and i still get 2 bars on phone, i plug it to charge at 12 then i wake up at 7 go and take a shower i unplug it like 8:00 and i go office, then i switch wlan on, wlan its turned on like 6 hrs and a half and i have bluetooth always on, i use GSM and GPRS there is no 3G on mexico my firmware is the latest flashed with the .08 firmware file, i bought it like 3 month ago, at the beginning i had to use my secondary batt that is on my wallet (this is the one that came with the phone), i bought my BL-5b batt from a nokia service center and its the one im using right now because i noticed that the replacement was better than the factory battery it lasted a lot more.
Wow, good to hear that somebody is able to use the phone as it should be used, if I put my wifi on I am lucky to get 2.5 hours before the battery gets flat, may try getting them to change the battery and see if I get an improvement like you,

My battery went flat again last night at about 9 pm after a full charge the night before without much use of the phone :(

One thing that anoys me is that on my phone there is no warning that the battery is low and many times the phone is switched off because I didnt know the battery had died, anybody else noticed this.

Old 16-07-2006, 07:32 AM

Itīs strange! I do not say that yes or that not, but itīs strange. Nowadays the production of this type of materials, is carried through accordance with rigorous processes and standard, then to have great discrepancies between devices and batteries will not have to happen. It has a factor of great influence, the net of the operator. But this factor only, couldnīt imply great differences in the duration of the battery. Is strange!

Old 16-07-2006, 09:18 AM

I have been reading some of the old pre release reviews of the N80 from last year and the begining of this year, and many of the reviews said that the 2 main dissapontments, and possible saleability issue with the N80 were the poor camera quality and the dissapointing battery life.

Do Nokia not listen to the feedback from these reviewers,

These were known issues before the phone was released, and as such should have been rectified

Ok I am not going to go on about the battery anymore, I think I have said enough and I cant really add anything else that may be constructive

Last edited by Cash; 16-07-2006 at 09:22 AM.

Old 16-07-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash
I have been reading some of the old pre release reviews of the N80 from last year and the begining of this year, and many of the reviews said that the 2 main dissapontments, and possible saleability issue with the N80 were the poor camera quality and the dissapointing battery life.

Do Nokia not listen to the feedback from these reviewers,

These were known issues before the phone was released, and as such should have been rectified

Ok I am not going to go on about the battery anymore, I think I have said enough and I cant really add anything else that may be constructive
Same to me. Iīm tired to talk about battery life. If samebody wants a brave battery life, use a 6310i - a champion. The others, over all the recent symbian phones have more or less limitations. Thatīs it!
Ads

Old 16-07-2006, 10:11 AM

bennymccool is on a distinguished road
Guys,

For what it's worth, the battery on my N80 lasted 4 days - admittedly i'm not using all the features - a few 2 minute calls, some 40 odd texts in and out, wifi for about 10 minutes.

Still, it's not that bad is it?