All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-07-2006, 08:17 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Such as it had said, a small battery will be always a small battery. The 3230 with this same battery, and although well more to be saved than the hard N80 in the same one very little. It is not your battery that is bad, is is small excessively for in such a way phone. Exactly the N70, the stack is too much weak. In the N91, the same thing. Therefore I have some increased hope, in the N93 or N73, therefore they have a battery that me it seems well capable. But it is very consumption for batteries so limited. As I had said once, glory days, with 6310i and is optional battery of 1500mAh! Between 14 - 18 days of hard work. I continue to have this device, for when necessary very much time...

Old 10-07-2006, 08:30 AM

Ungjaevel is on a distinguished road
Just seems so weird - I'm not having any troubles at all (and from what I read, more with me?)

You did the first initial charge this way? From empty to full, without the phone on?

Old 10-07-2006, 08:32 AM

Cash is on a distinguished road
I just dont know why Nokia created such a phone with such a small battery, they must know how to work out consumption usage on average phone use and should have realized the figures dont add up.

Did they not think that this would be a big concern and even jeopadize the saleability of the N80, I already know of 3 people who love my phone and would buy one, but when I tell them it lasts less than 24 hours they said they will not buy it.

From nokia website they say standby is 8 days, I have left my phone on untill discharged with all battery saving things I could think of and I still dont get more than 20 hours, and thats without even making a call or sending a text, they should be done under trading standard laws, and the 3 hour talk time is just a ridiculous claim.

I know they say their tests are under optimal conditions, but I cant get more optimal than just charging the phone and leaving it alone without using it, I live in the heart of a capital city with full signal strength.

I understand that a higher capacity battery would make the phone more bulky, but I would put up with that to have some extra battery power, with older Nokia phones you were able to get a slimline battery and a more bulky high capacity battery that just clipped onto the phone, its something they should concider for these high consumption phones, the old 7110 springs to mind

Last edited by Cash; 10-07-2006 at 08:36 AM.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungjaevel
Just seems so weird - I'm not having any troubles at all (and from what I read, more with me?)

You did the first initial charge this way? From empty to full, without the phone on?
Yes, I have had dozens of hand held phones from way back to 1988 and understand the need to condition the battery on the first few charge/discharge cycles.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:48 AM

entwisi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash

F I have left my phone on untill discharged with all battery saving things I could think of and I still dont get more than 20 hours, and thats without even making a call or sending a text, they should be done under trading standard laws, and the 3 hour talk time is just a ridiculous claim.
If you only get 20hrs with everything turned off and no calls then you must have a dodgy phone or battery. y borrowing someone elses BL5B battery and if that is no different then I'd suggest its your phone.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
If you only get 20hrs with everything turned off and no calls then you must have a dodgy phone or battery. y borrowing someone elses BL5B battery and if that is no different then I'd suggest its your phone.
I am already going to change the battery and charger later today if I get the time, but many other people are also reporting less than 24 hours battery life, so I dont think the battery or charger is faulty, maybe it could be a bad batch of batteries ..

Old 10-07-2006, 10:46 AM

Jayd is on a distinguished road
I honestly think you have a bad battery. Like I mentioned I'm getting around 2.5 - 3 days with mine and that is with decent usage even though I don't use Wifi and mine is constantly in 3G mode. I did the battery conditioning immediatly though so that could be a factor.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayd
I honestly think you have a bad battery. Like I mentioned I'm getting around 2.5 - 3 days with mine and that is with decent usage even though I don't use Wifi and mine is constantly in 3G mode. I did the battery conditioning immediatly though so that could be a factor.
I wouldn't be so sure about that, there are also many people here getting less than 24 hours, and also on other forums including the forum at Nokia, I think its a real problem, I thinbk for some reason you got a lucky phone ..I may have heard of maybe 1 or 2 others getting over 24 hours ..
Ads

Old 10-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
It worth bearing in mind that you are much more likely to hear from people who are having battery problems than those who are not.

I do think the N80 battery could be bigger, and I would imagine this may chnage in future phone.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
It worth bearing in mind that you are much more likely to hear from people who are having battery problems than those who are not.

I do think the N80 battery could be bigger, and I would imagine this may chnage in future phone.
I agree Rafe, so I am hoping a replacement will solve the problem, I will report back when I have it and used it for a week or so

Old 11-07-2006, 07:49 AM

scotchgitt is on a distinguished road
my battery is ok

I can get 24 hours easily if I use the phone heavily, wlan 1 hour but always on, 3g on, bluetooth on, sat nav for 1 hour into work and home again with screen lit up, coupl eof calls, take a couple of pics, send a couple of texts, watch a couple of short vids.

but if I have wlan and 3g on but don't actually use them and leave the phoone in standby I can get 3 days .

I have just turned off 3g but left wlan on to see what this gives.

I do the overnight charge and drain to poweroff for the first couple of weeks with any new phone , then I have a charger at home, work and in the car so I can keep it topped up when I need to . Every week I will let it drain down once. (I do have a cheap spare battery in my wallet just for emergencies)

I am happy with the phone, wlan is great and camera is ok, but not great. I will keep this til the n83 comes out 6mp, optical zoom and autofocus, if I remember correctly.

K800i is just not "smart" enough for me.

The n80 is a mino computer not a phone and they could have given a bigger battery but that may have made it a bigger phone.

Cash - get a new battery or even swap the phone for a new one.

I agree with the other comment above that more folks will post about a bad battery than a good one.

Scotchgitt

Old 11-07-2006, 08:49 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Cash

If it's any consolation, my N80's battery is pants too. Charge in the morning, light use during the day with no 3G use, a little GPRS (email checks couple of times a day and about 5k of IM), switch off in the evening and come the morning it will be on 2 bars and need recharging again.

I love the phone (and think the camera/video is great) but the battery is useless. Not being able to be use the phone without power within a 24 hour period seriously negates its useability. I had thought I could go on a w/e in the country with this (and the GPS facilities of Viewranger) but its battery consumption seriously limits this. (and no, I really can't be bothered with a phone where I need to keep swapping batteries over. It shouldn't be a chore to use it)

Old 11-07-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll
Cash

If it's any consolation, my N80's battery is pants too. Charge in the morning, light use during the day with no 3G use, a little GPRS (email checks couple of times a day and about 5k of IM), switch off in the evening and come the morning it will be on 2 bars and need recharging again.

I love the phone (and think the camera/video is great) but the battery is useless. Not being able to be use the phone without power within a 24 hour period seriously negates its useability. I had thought I could go on a w/e in the country with this (and the GPS facilities of Viewranger) but its battery consumption seriously limits this. (and no, I really can't be bothered with a phone where I need to keep swapping batteries over. It shouldn't be a chore to use it)
Exactly, this phone should be a pleasure to use, without the worry of having to restrict your time on the apps because of the battery life,

I really cant figure out why Nokia released this phone with this battery, its a question on par with how did the universe begin or whats the meaning of life

Surely their massivly financed and highly skilled development team have a calculater that can work out average power consumption v power availability.

Maybe they just have an unlimited amount of monkeys messing around with electronics and this is what they came up with ...give the monkeys a calculater !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway I guess you guys are all fed up with me keep going on about the battery, but with my phone its the battery and the camera that are the only things giving me grief, and I can live without the camera, I cant live without a phone.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:48 PM

Winfield is on a distinguished road
Well I did the test and cycle. My maximum battery life with a few text and calls was from 8th July 6 am to 10th July 8pm. 2 days and a half. Still poor. Phone in GSM mode, didn't use any smart aplications, sleep mode on, light sensor down by one notch, no open aplications, almost always with full network coverage, etc.
Just plain simply disappointing.

@Cash
Unlike you I "can't live" without the camera. I use(d) it all the time on my K750i, specially at night.

Regds

Old 11-07-2006, 01:45 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
I saw today the E70 review here: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e70-review-96.php. Why I speek about that... because the battery inside E70. In this review they said is good... of course is good! Should be. Is the same in N-Gage QD with 1150mAh, on the same screen of N80. Between N80 battery and this one, we have 40% more juice inside! In N-gage QD is also good, so, nothing new.