All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-11-2002, 12:13 PM

Taavi is on a distinguished road
Voice Command on 7650..?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

VOICE SIGNAL DEPLOYS ADVANCED SPEECH RECOGNITION SOFTWARE FOR NOKIA SERIES 60 SMARTPHONE PLATFORM

Nokia Series 60 Platform Now Supports State-of-the-Art, Multilingual Speech Recognition and Text-to-Speech Applications From Voice Signal

Las Vegas, Nevada - November 18, 2002 - Today in the Nokia booth at Comdex (Booth #3208), Voice Signal Technologies, the only supplier of embedded speech technology to the world’s elite mobile phone OEMs, and Nokia, the world’s largest mobile handset manufacturer, demonstrated Voice Signal’s breakthrough multilingual speech solution for Nokia’s Series 60 smartphone platform.

Voice Signal’s breakthrough multilingual product utilizes new technology that can simultaneously understand multiple languages and accents in a single system that is no larger than today’s one-language systems. Voice Signal’s new product offers handset manufacturers the opportunity to provide the highest quality speech technology in multiple languages without having to add any additional memory resources to their phones.

In addition, this new Series 60 multilingual solution provides consumers with exciting features that improve the phones usability and safety in all environments. Users can look up or dial any name from thousands of names contained in their phone book by voice in any language or accent. The system also enables users to dial numbers by voice and navigate phone menus. Moreover, since this system has both speech recognition and synthesized text-to-speech output, users can control all these features on the phone without having to use their hands or look at the phone’s display. This combination of speech recognition and text-to-speech output makes it much more convenient and safer for the consumer.

Voice Signal’s multilingual product is designed to address the reality of today’s global handset market. Mobile phone users speak multiple languages and communicate with friends and colleagues all over the world. This presents a significant challenge to handset manufacturers who, in order to remain competitive, must ship cutting edge products that incorporate state-of-the-art speech recognition and speech synthesis technology to large geographical regions. Since today’s mobile phones have limited memory and processing power, it is not possible, without adding significant resources, to ship each phone with a separate speech recognizer for each language that is spoken in a particular region.

Nokia’s Series 60 Platform is a complete smartphone software package built on top of the Symbian OS Version 6.1. The Series 60 Platform offers handset manufacturers a standardized user interface for new hardware designs, while providing a wide range of applications and communications capabilities, including multimedia messaging (MMS).

"We believe that speech recognition can dramatically improve the usability of wireless devices, enabling users to take better advantage of the tremendous capabilities contained in the new Nokia Series 60 Platform," said Stewart Sims, Voice Signal’s Executive Vice President of Marketing. "Voice Signal’s new multilingual speech technology for the Series 60 is a breakthrough that will enable the utilization of this critical technology in today’s global handset market." "Working closely with Forum Nokia has been instrumental in enabling Voice Signal to deploy this breakthrough speech solution on the Series 60 Platform," continued Sims. "With Nokia’s support we have been able to combine our multilingual speech recognition and TTS in a single system that makes it easier, safer and more fun for people to be productive with their mobile devices."

www.voicesignal.com

Old 28-11-2002, 12:26 PM

sanjay2402 is on a distinguished road
Now.. This is going to be really interesting!! Went thru the site and specs. Looks impressive. When exactly is it going to be available? I have'nt found the release date (though it says immediate) .Where exactly is the software available? Cant wait for it

Old 28-11-2002, 12:55 PM

thegrey is on a distinguished road
or a 'better' question.. how big will the software be? :roll:
Ads

Old 28-11-2002, 02:36 PM

JyriK is on a distinguished road
from their website:

- Compact Code - E.L.V.I.S. code has a footprint of only 31K bytes for a simple name dialing application, and only 3MB for an application that offers large-vocabulary dictation and speech-to-text.

:( quite a lot then :(
(if it uses that)

Old 28-11-2002, 02:53 PM

Since it is modular, there might still be a chance afterall, to use atleast some of the components on 7650 . The full suit would be too big for 7650 :( , but the size itself, seems justified at 3 mb considering the complexity :crazyeyes: and components like dictionary, recognition, Noise cancellation, translation....

Old 28-11-2002, 03:02 PM

true, if they can pack it really tight.
I think on 3650 this could be really killer app.

Old 28-11-2002, 03:16 PM

Um... Jyrik..

( I may be having a wrong notion here but...) Even the 3650 has only 4mb in C: Yes it may have external memory, but that would not help having more applications since they cannot be run off an external drive? The ability to have more apps on 3650 would still be effected

Old 28-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay2402
Um... Jyrik..

( I may be having a wrong notion here but...) Even the 3650 has only 4mb in C: Yes it may have external memory, but that would not help having more applications since they cannot be run off an external drive? The ability to have more apps on 3650 would still be effected
Why can't apps be run from the MMC card?....It kind of defeats the object of it being there in the first place :-?

Old 28-11-2002, 03:27 PM

Are you sure??? I had a 3650 on my hand a few days, but never thought
about that... but I think that it can be made to work. install just some of
the app on C: "drive" and the rest to D:
I think that on communicators they do it like that allready?? not sure though.
answer should come really soon I think

Old 28-11-2002, 04:04 PM

MaleBuffy is on a distinguished road
Applications dont just run from C.....they run from there were you install them,.....the 3650 has a option to install on phone and on MMC....so if you install it on an MMC it will run from there....So ALL application will run and fit in the 3650 with MMC!

malebuffy@allaboutsymbian.com

http://www.symbiandiaries.com/malebuffy
http://www.symbianopensource.com

Old 28-11-2002, 04:21 PM

I thought so too.
it would be strange to have 128Mb memory, but to be able to use it
only to store photos and sound : )