All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-06-2006, 07:22 AM

heplesser is on a distinguished road
E70: Moving applications to new memory card

Hi!

A week ago I ditched my 9210 for an E70 and am very happy with it .
I now got a 1GB memory card to replace the tiny 64MB card that came with the phone.

Now I face the following problem: the original memory card came with AcrobatReader, ZipManager, WorldMate and MailLauncher preinstalled. How can I move these applications to the new memory card? I first thought to move them from the memory card to phone memory and then back to the new memory card, but I can't even find a way to move applications from memory card to phone memory.

It also looks like some messages are stored on the memory card, and I can't find a way to move them, either.

Any help is appreciated.
Hans

Old 10-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The easiest way to do this is to copy the contents to a PC (using a memory card reader or similar), then copy the contents on to the new card. Make sure you get everything (inc system folder). Using a memory card reader works best because you can see all the files.

You should be able to move the messages memory stored to the internal disk using the settings in Messaging.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
How easy do you find the full keyboard to use?

Old 10-06-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by langdona
How easy do you find the full keyboard to use?
Well, it is not as comfortable as the one on my old 9210. On the E70, I am writing with the fingernails rather than the fingertips. On the other hand, I found that I needed to put down the 9210 to be able to write comfortably, while I can write quite well with the E70 in my hand (there wouldn't be any point in putting it down and try typing anyways).

What bothers me most for now is the auto-capitalization in certain situations. I have not found out yet how to get rid of it, as it irritates me sorely. Another shortcoming of the E70 with scandinavian localization is that only the characters åøæäöé are available, but not, e.h. ü and ß, not even through the extended character menu, it seems.

And then, the E70 weighs only half as much as the 9210, so it is actually a MOBILE phone, while the 9210 spent most of its life sitting on my desk.

Alas, I had a slightly irritating experince this morning: I didn't lock the phone before putting it into my pant pocket, and as I wandered about town, my wallet maniupulated the E70's joystick so smartly that some friends of mine in a far-away time zone got a wakeup call ...

But in general, I am very pleased with my new toy . I'll post a more detailed review when I find time for it.

Hans

Old 10-06-2006, 04:28 PM

ToreL is on a distinguished road
Moving applications

You could also remove your current additional applications, download them from Nokia and re-install them on your memory card.

Re: special characters. I have been unable to get the lower case ''. The upper-case '' is available as well as the upper case and lower case ''. A keyboard mapping bug in E70?

I was disappointed to learn that the pdf-reader was not able to display pdf-files of 6Mb size. Out-of-memory.

Tore

Old 14-06-2006, 06:43 PM

Thanks. This worked nicely .

Hans

Old 14-06-2006, 06:50 PM

ø works for me as well as Ø. æ, Æ, å and Å are also fine. The auto-capitalization on the E70 bugs me awfully, though.

Old 15-06-2006, 05:25 AM

riannn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heplesser
Another shortcoming of the E70 with scandinavian localization is that only the characters are available, but not, e.h. and , not even through the extended character menu, it seems.
Hans
For "", you can get it by holding the Chr and press letter "u" a couple of times, then the character you want will appear.

For "", you can get it by holding the Chr and press letter "s" a couple of times, then the character you want will appear. Especially for this character, make sure that the s is lower case, it wouldnt work if the keyboard is under capitalize mode.

-riannn
Ads

Old 24-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
After getting my Orange PAC code with the intention of getting the E70 I found that it had disappeared from the Vodafone website and the customer support saying the it wont be launched to the 5th of July. So I thought sod it and as I was in 2 minds anyway I have now got the E61 instead. Now I just have to wait until the 28th before my number gets transferred.

I have the same query of copying everthing from the memory card. I thought back up and restore should work however it only seems to backup what is visable via the file manager. Is this correct? Because if backup does not include the applications then its a big problem. I would expect a restore to return the device to the same state it was in when I last did the backup including any sofware.