All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-05-2006, 11:10 AM

bredaboy is on a distinguished road
I need help with videos on my N70

I need help! On my Nokia N70 when I capture videos they are very jumpy and you can't make them out that well even though the camera is meant to be one of the best. I've tried all 3 quality modes and it doesn't improe that much. I was just wondering are the videos this bad for everyone or what should I do?

Old 28-05-2006, 12:55 PM

mob453 is on a distinguished road
what memory card are you saving them on?

Old 29-05-2006, 07:23 PM

mamoo_51 is on a distinguished road
im having exactly the same problem I started out with a kingston card but soon learnt that they werent the best to be using so replaced it with a 1gb one from mobyMemory (what appears to be their own brand) The video works fine when the card is blank i.e just been formatted, but once i put my applications and MP3s back on it the video recording starts producing slight "skips" again. Is there a way around this or what ? or do i have to buy ANOTHER card - if so, which one will definately work ? im gettin slightly annoyed now by the fact that my N70 wasnt by any means cheap and nor have the memory cards been yet they just refuse to work

Old 29-05-2006, 07:29 PM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
let me guess, your on Orange ?

i have the same problem.

it is because the default player for videos is set as pvPlayer, which can't play videos too well, but if you load real player then select the video you want to play, it will play perfect and not at all jumpy.

at the moment this problem can only be fixed by getting the phone flashed with genric firmware.

but be warned, it could invalidate any insurance you have on the phone.
Ads

Old 29-05-2006, 08:45 PM

mamoo_51 is on a distinguished road
nope - im not on orange. Im on o2 so, as far as i know, have generic firmware already (think its a little out of date though, may need to get it flashed - does anyone know if thats likely to solve the problem ?) and video plays in real player by default. Videos are just as "jumpy" when played on a pc as well

Old 29-05-2006, 10:05 PM

mob453 is on a distinguished road
I'm using a Sandisk with no issues whatsoever

Old 31-05-2006, 11:02 PM

chuckles586 is on a distinguished road
I was on here a week or two ago asking for help about the same sort of thing.

I'd bought myself a 1gb Kingston card which was turning the vids out really jumpy. Audio was fine, just the video quality, and it was the same when transfered to my PC.

I found out on here that Kingston cards are the demon of the N70 and should be avoided, but a few people suggested some other stuff. I'm kinda stuck with the card and I didn't want to go buying another so I tried what was suggested.

Basically, I just formatted the card and it's worked fine since. The image onscreen whilst filming goes a little jumpy but the end result (on phone and PC) is fine. I don't have any extra applications stored on the memory card (I basically just use it for film, more than I do for actually phoning people!) but I've put loads of mp3s on there that don't seem to interfere too much.

Keep to the basics when phone-filming - don't move the camera too much, let the stuff in the image do the moving for you, and make sure there is as much light getting into the lens as possible. Also, where possible, move closer to the subject rather than just zooming.

Here's a film of a band that I took a couple of days ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW-Elx9BrJQ

A gig can be one of the worst places for lighting, but the results turned out well here, I think.

Good luck.