All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-05-2006, 07:52 PM

luiskim is on a distinguished road
How can i read other languages on a 6682?

Hi I bought a nokia 6682 about a week ago. got the hang of most of the things this amazing phone can do. the only thing i couldn't figure out was how to read korean on this phone.
is there any kind of software that will let you do that?
there are programs for palm, pocketpc, etc. that you can install and be able to read and write korean.
i really dont care about writing... reading is what i need.. help pleasE?

Old 06-05-2006, 01:59 AM

FRiC is on a distinguished road
Visit http://asukal.seesaa.net/ for Asian language stuff on WM5 and Symbian OS.

Unfortunately, most of the 66xx series have way too little RAM to be useful. After the Asian fonts are loaded, you have very little RAM to run apps properly. N70 is much better in this regard, and N70 also handles Unicode more properly than the 66xx series.

Old 13-06-2006, 02:39 AM

sorry for the late reply. but thanks for the link... however it is not much of a help to me cause i can't read chiness.
I just wanna be able to read the bible in korean. anyone knows of a good app that would let you load and read bibles in korean?
thanks.

Old 13-06-2006, 07:13 AM

The site is in Japanese. This is the direct link -> http://www.asukal.jp/Fonts.zip

You only need one file, japan.gdr, put that on your E:\System\Fonts

And you get Chinese, Thai, Japanese, and Korean.

Old 17-06-2006, 04:30 AM

thank you so much.
however i tried all i could and knew about symbian phones... and no luck... i went to http://asukal.seesaa.net/article/2015448.html adn even thou i don't understand japanese i was able to figure out to copy the file FontRouter.ini into the c:system folder. i even tried to rename the .ini to .dll cause i couldn't find the .dll file and still no luck.

all im trying to do is to find a bible reader that would actually let me read korean. i tried on korean sites but i suck at writing...

thanks again... and hopefully someone can explain to me how to work it or where to get a korean bible reader...

Old 17-06-2006, 06:27 AM

You only need to do what I posted previously. Put that one font file into your memory card's E:\System\fonts

The fontrouter.dll stuff are for older phones that will only read system files from the phone's internal memory, so they need something that fools the phone into reading from the memory card. Newer phones will read system files from the memory card directly if they exist on the memory card.

Old 20-06-2006, 05:46 AM

that wierd. cause i tried that. and i loaded a korean notepad document into the phone and couldn't read it.

at least i figured out that the s60biblereader that i got won't work with the font. it seems like it uses only the internal biblereader fonts.

i think this thing harder than what i thought....

EDIT: i just went to a korean website to test it and i only get squares... :(

Last edited by luiskim; 20-06-2006 at 05:49 AM.

Old 20-06-2006, 09:08 AM

S60 is pure unicode like Windows 2000/XP and unlike most of the rest of the Internet. If you go to places that are fully unicode like google.com you will see Korean (as well as any other language, all intermixed).

Old 20-06-2006, 10:53 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
That's not the case, unless the device also has a font that includes those Unicode charaters you want to see displayed. Without a font with the characters/glyphs, it makes no difference whether the OS supports Unicode or not.
Ads

Old 20-06-2006, 06:14 PM

now i'm getting more confused. i got the japan.gdr on my e:\system\fonts folder... and i tried in 2 different ways. i went to my browser and tried all changing all the unicodes i have... and i still get squares instead of writing. (www.daun.net and www.google.co.kr) and i also tried changing the unicode and fonts on s60bible and still no luck.
sorry about the repetitive questions... but i don't know if it is me not following what you guys are saying or what's going on here...
thanks for the quick replys thou. i really apreciate it.

Old 21-06-2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
That's not the case, unless the device also has a font that includes those Unicode charaters you want to see displayed. Without a font with the characters/glyphs, it makes no difference whether the OS supports Unicode or not.
JAPAN.GDR that we're talking about here is a unicode font with most of the Eastern Asian fonts included.

Old 21-06-2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiskim
now i'm getting more confused. i got the japan.gdr on my e:\system\fonts folder... and i tried in 2 different ways. i went to my browser and tried all changing all the unicodes i have... and i still get squares instead of writing. (www.daun.net and www.google.co.kr) and i also tried changing the unicode and fonts on s60bible and still no luck.
sorry about the repetitive questions... but i don't know if it is me not following what you guys are saying or what's going on here...
thanks for the quick replys thou. i really apreciate it.
daum (I assume you meant daum) is not in unicode. Google is, but you also have to be using a unicode capable browser like Opera. Opera Mini is not.

Try going to http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode-example.html with Opera.

Unfortunately, according to the S60Bible page, non-Latin text is not supported.

Old 21-06-2006, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiC
daum (I assume you meant daum) is not in unicode. Google is, but you also have to be using a unicode capable browser like Opera. Opera Mini is not.

Try going to http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode-example.html with Opera.

Unfortunately, according to the S60Bible page, non-Latin text is not supported.
gave the site a try and still no luck. downloaded opera mobile 8.6 from the opera site and installed it...
could it be that there is something else that needs to be done than just putting that japan.gdr file on the e:\system\fonts folder?

ps. thank you so much for all your help.

Old 21-06-2006, 05:52 AM

Did you reboot the phone after putting the file in the card?

Besides that, I can only think maybe the font file is incompatible with the 6682, but I've used the same file on the N-Gage, the 6630, and on the N70.

Old 22-06-2006, 12:02 AM

i have...
all i wanted was to be able to read books or the bible in korean. i guess i'll have to wait until s60bible supports the korean language.
thanks a lot for everything thou.