All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-04-2006, 10:29 AM

tsupatsupa is on a distinguished road
apcaw

go to profiles..

personalize and switch off "Say caller's name"

Old 25-04-2006, 01:31 PM
bugmenot

Do you know what will be in the UK sales package?

Old 27-04-2006, 11:10 PM

gtdmouse is on a distinguished road
mp3's as ringtones

I was wondering if you could use mp3's that you've put on there as ringtones.

Old 27-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yes you can use MP3 as ringtones.

The UK sales package will vary according to the Networks, but should have the phone, connecting cable (USB), remote, stereo headphones, desk stand, charger, charger adaptor, manual, cd.

Old 28-04-2006, 12:22 PM
bugmenot

Yay, got one!

It kicks bum

Old 28-04-2006, 09:03 PM

zainman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot
Yay, got one!

It kicks bum
how much for????

Believe the Hype! Techpakistan

Old 29-04-2006, 02:21 AM

Hadiq is on a distinguished road
hey Rafe, I was just wondering when your going to release a full review of the Nokia N91?Also if you do release a review I was wondering if you could go more in depth into the things that nobody else is paying alot of attention to (i.e full screeen video, internet browser, wifi, and so forth). It seems to me that everybody is focussing on the music playing capabilitis, which is correct to a certain degreen due to its music optimization, but seeing as this phone is supposedly a "multimedia computer" we should analyze the multi in media don't ye think? lol

Last edited by Hadiq; 29-04-2006 at 02:25 AM.

Old 29-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Hadiq - look for it early next week. Its probably not fair to classify it as a review - more of a commentary in some ways

I do mention the WiFi - but there's only so much you can say about it. The internet browser is good, but I do have a few problems with it (mentioned in the article). Full screen video I doin't think I mentioned - but yes it will play full screen video if you have vidoe in the right format. The stuff recorded via the camera looks quite good.

Yes it is a multimedia computer, but the music is emphasised over everything else. The camera is OK (nothing special), as is the video (no changes from the N70). Really the big thing about the N91 is that the hardware is designed with music player functionality being primary and phone second (well to an extent anyway).

Old 29-04-2006, 11:36 PM

-[GT]- is on a distinguished road
hey rafe i was wondering that:

1) does n91 support A2DP?

2) when will the black version come out, cuz i've seen grey and silver ones...

3) can u synchronize or transfer files over wifi?

thanx
Ads

Old 30-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Founder / Chief

1) I was not able to test (no A2DP headset).
2) I dont think there is a black version. There's only one colour as far as I know.
3) No (not via PC Suite).

Old 01-05-2006, 02:33 AM

vickram_123 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

got one two days ago... ive been using 6260 for more thn an yr now , had loads of applications on it , sadly none thm would work on this one cuz those applications r not compatible with this version of symbian , the most important application im missing on is smartmovie player , wit smartmovie converting movies n playing thm on mobile was like a treat but without tht its getting pretty tough to convert videos , ( hope they will come up wit new version of this software to work wit symbian v3 mobiles ) , while playing video on fullscreen mode , basically it blocks the speakers cuz uve to place the phone on horizontally n speakers will be blocked to the surface , display is ordinary ( i still find my 6260 screen a lot better thn this new n91 ) ..
n lets get to the positive sides of the phone..

firstly , the quality of music player , just amazing , way better thn any mobile phone ive ever seen and most importantly way better thn ipod ( trust me , i own an ipod for more thn 2 yrs , i can clearly see the difference between the both) , very very impressed wit it ,
secondly , wlan feature , its just like a notebook wit wireless capabilities , have tried connecting to internet wit wlan , got connected in no time , very very impressive . rest of the features as normal , camera is strictly o. k. though i was a bit disappointed wit not incorporating a separate button to take snaps straightway without using the joystick and also using the volume up/down button for zoom , well... may be i was expecting a bit too much from nokia but thy could hve taken care of all these since thy took more thn 6 months thn the initial launch period , im sincerely hoping tht there will be more applications available for this version of symbian soon ...i would give 7 out of 10 for this phone ..

Old 01-05-2006, 03:54 PM

snowhite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by apcaw
Hi, Rafe.

I just bought a n91 last weekend here in the Philippines. Just one quick question. Whenever I get incoming calls, the ringing tone (which I set) sounded different from the actual/ raw file. Meaning, I can here a voice of a guy talking while the phone is ringing. Its kindda weird. Did you encounter this while testing te unit?

Would appreciatte the help. It's quite annoying, actually. Thanks.
Hi apcaw Go to TOOLS>PROFILES>(select which Profile you're using)>PERSONALIZE>Choose"off" under SAY CALLER'S NAME. That should solve the problem

Old 02-05-2006, 09:01 AM
bugmenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainman
how much for????
It's on a 45 a month contract (for 12 months) and was free on that deal

Old 02-05-2006, 02:51 PM

jrsolis is on a distinguished road
hi Rafe,
i just got N91 2 days ago. the phone is excellent! the only thing that i noticed was the quality of the pictures taken. Is the camera of N70 better? because i compared the the same shots taken and the one from N91 is darker and poor. it's both 2 megapixel cam and N70 pics are better and brighter. I don't know if there is a defect in the camera of my N91 or is it firmware? my firmware version is:
v1.00.028.14
29-03-06
RM-43

I even tried comparing the same shots taken from 9500 and it was even better because it's brighter. help pls.

BTW, is there any way to turn-off the camera shutter or camera sound?

Old 02-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Founder / Chief

You might want to try using some of the different modes (e.g. Night Mode).

I found the N91 camera wasn't as good as the N70 in imperfect conditions. YMMV.

I don't think you can turn off the camera shutter sound.