All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Review Comments

Old 07-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Dr, Who? is on a distinguished road
Well, of course, the real complaint with the Nokia PC Suite when it comes to syncing with Outlook is speed. My god its slow. Has anything been done to address that?

Other big question is what is the battery life like with that hard drive sucking out all the N91's juice? That Samsung hard drive phone alledgedly struggles to make it through a working day!

EDIT - APOLOGIES. This was meant to appear in the review thread (although there isn't a comments thread there). I just saw N91 in hardware and hit comment. Sorry chaps, would make more sense at the end of that review!!!

Editors Note: Moved it for you - Rafe

Last edited by Dr, Who?; 07-04-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia N91 Review - Mobile Music for the Masses

It may not be the number one object of lust for the Nokia fanboy, but the N91 is one of the best consumer targetted Series 60 phones around. With S60v3, gorgeous build quality, and a 4gb Hard Drive to go with the dedicated music controls, it's all teh entertainment you could need. Isn't it?

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
To answer the question about Outlook Sync speed - well it depends whether you use Bluetooth or not. Bluetooth seems to be slower that a direct USB connection. The USB connection was fast. Its the same version of PC Suite as the N70 etc...

It may be the on device sttuff is quicker, but I have not tested this.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:45 PM

tctitans is on a distinguished road
Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr, Who?
Well, of course, the real complaint with the Nokia PC Suite when it comes to syncing with Outlook is speed. My god its slow. Has anything been done to address that?

Other big question is what is the battery life like with that hard drive sucking out all the N91's juice? That Samsung hard drive phone alledgedly struggles to make it through a working day!

EDIT - APOLOGIES. This was meant to appear in the review thread (although there isn't a comments thread there). I just saw N91 in hardware and hit comment. Sorry chaps, would make more sense at the end of that review!!!

Editors Note: Moved it for you - Rafe
Battery life isnt amazing, but it's certainly quite impressive for sticking to a traditional Nokia battery (BL-5C - Kudos Nokia!). You still might have to charge the sucker every night depending on what you are doing. The player supports continuous music playback for around 11-12 hours, but of course there are so many features and things you could do simutaneously (Web browsing, photos, WLAN access, .. and even phone calls! ). Phone by itself I believe is a modest 4-5 hours talk time and around 200 hours standby (considering everything, I'm still quite impressed with this!).
Ads

Old 08-04-2006, 08:26 AM

Dr, Who? is on a distinguished road
Thanks for moving my post Rafe, looks much happier here. Battery life doesn't sound too bad, don't think the Samsung could lay claim to 11-12 hours music playback and it didn't have WLAN. Is the WLAN only enabled when you try and make a connection? And data transfer is only GPRS right, no UMTS?

Old 08-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
Good review just a couple of questions.

I seem to remember you posting an article questioning wheather you would want to use a phone as you main MP3 player? Has the N91 changed you opinion?

Whats the WAP browsing like?

I take it Opera Mini does not work with the N91 yet, even though its a java app?

I find a combintation of WAP and Opera Mini opera best cope with my mobile browsing needs.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Ok, so it's got a 4GB hard drive, but the rest of it is not that amazing (based on no symbian progs working currently), and remember that a certain Birmingham company produced almost the same phone a year ago http://www.sendosmartphones.com/news...und-advice.htm

Old 10-04-2006, 09:11 AM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
Sounds like in 12 months time when there is a decent amount of software available, Nokia have purchased a decent third party browser to pre-install and they have replaced the 4GB hard disk with 6GB of flash, the N92 will be a pretty amazing phone.

But 1st gen stuff always suffers slightly in comparison just because there isn't the software catalgue to help make up for some of the short falls in the ROM.

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 10-04-2006, 09:20 AM

Masamune is on a distinguished road
The N91 has arrived too late for most people.

It's all very well touting the 4Gb hard disk and WiFi, but how much is this thing going to cost? At present, the Samsung SGH-i300 also has a built in hard disk and OS (Windows Mobile) and it's currently free with a contract on O2. Are people really going to shell out the £200-£300 just for a slightly fancier design and WiFi which most of the public out there aren't going to use at all?

I don't think this will be the big seller Nokia is hoping for as it will be too expensive and complicated for 70% of the public, a large majority of which already have a smaller and neater mobile phone & an iPod. Speaking of which, the N91 will also have competition from the V3i - that ever so popular phone that now ships with iTunes built into it....

Old 10-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Right then, has it made me want to use it as my main MP3 player? No. But then very little would see me switch away from Minidisc, and I;ve looked at all teh ipods and mp3 players in the world, so I'm peersonally a bad example. A quick check round the pub shows taht a lot of people would seriously consider it, and I think that if they have this (or the 3250) people would switch. WAP browsing is stil based in the new browser, but at least it's all formatting correctly. Cost will be (as alway) up to the networks. Expect nice prices from the likes of O2 in the UK.

Sendo are no longer here, the general public, frankly, don;t care or don;t realise this. So yes the X2 may have been close, but it's not in the shops. Stu, I'm sad about that as well.

Andy, in these reviews I always review out of the box, no third party apps unless they're in there as full versions. I'll check Opera mini for you this evening.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 10-04-2006, 10:22 AM

Joar is on a distinguished road
Langdona:

Yes, Opera mini works with N91.

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile...hone=nokia_n91

Also note that Opera Software will be releasing a new version of their S60 browser in a weeks time (second halv of April, apparently). This version (8.60) will support S60 v 3, and is built for N91/N80 etc. Read comments from the devs here:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums....dml?id=132106

Last edited by Joar; 10-04-2006 at 10:39 AM.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:48 AM

orol is on a distinguished road
SSL support in email client

could anyone test whether it is possible to set not only the pop3/imap over SSL but also SMTP over SSL with authentification on the S60 v3 ?

Old 13-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Unregistered

Battery life is actually great. Is the WLAN only enabled when you try and make a connection? And data transfer is only GPRS right, no UMTS?

Ryan Garmley
<a href="http://www.thelastresortpa.com">Alcohol Rehab</a>

Old 02-12-2009, 12:12 PM

rochevof73 is on a distinguished road
Nokia N91 Review Mobile Music for the Masses

Err another bug report for you. This thread is in the Private>#Game Reviews section so no one can read it?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

Hi

It's nice review...I like it...