All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-02-2006, 09:13 AM

voki is on a distinguished road
Sim card registration failed

Hi all,

I've encountered this issue since last Thursday. All of a sudden, I saw a message on the screen saying "SIM card registration failed". I couldn't make calls or receive calls.

On Friday, I took the phone + sim to the 3 shops, they took out my sim, put it in another phone, it worked fine. They put another SIM to my phone it didn't work. They told me the handset (N70) is faulty.

I took it to Nokia Service center, they told me to collect it on Tuesday. So I collected it today, and when turning it on, it still had the same issue. The Nokia guy said the phone has been fully tested, software was upgraded, and not fault was found. He told me to get a new Sim card.

I then went to the 3 shop again, explained to them, they put a new SIM card, and activate it, it still has the same issue. They insisted the handset is faulty.

Anyone has any other ideas?

Thanks & regards,
voki

Old 07-02-2006, 12:14 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Go back to the service center, tell them you have gotten a new SIM and it didn't help.

Let them try your SIM in another N70, or them try their SIM, and then insist they fix the phone.

You can tell them the SIM you have/had used to work in the N70, and it still works on other phones, so it really must be the phone's fault.

And if that's not enough, ask them to call in a supervisor/manager.

Be polite, but firm about this (do not be angry or shout at them; it won't help your case).

Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 AM

Now, things are getting more interesting. I went back to the Nokia SC and after another check, they told me this phone was sold to someone in Lu-LUXEMBOURG hence it could be locked to the network within that country.

I asked him why did it work previously, he told me that they could lock it after a period of time. And the short answer is: Nokia won't replace/fix it anymore because I am in Australia and I bought this item from ebay.

Any more ideas anyone? Anyone can tell me how to unlock this phone? or else I'll have to throw it to the bin.

Thanks heaps for anyone who can help me out.

Cheers,
voki

Old 08-02-2006, 06:49 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Something like that could, indeed, have happened.

Someone reported it lost or stolen (to the operator, insurance company or local police) and the operator blacklisted its serial number (IMEI). It just took a time for the blacklisting to take effect (and be distributed to other operators, however they do it).

It wasn't SIM-locked, if you were able to use it with your operator for a while.

Whether it was the original owner or someone else that sold it on eBay is hard to say, of course. If the original owner did it, and also reported it as stolen to, e.g., claim insurance, laws were broken. If it was lost and someone else sold it, that person did wrong, too. If it was stolen and resold, then... well, obvious, isn't it?

You could report it to the local police (with all details you have of the seller) and see if they can/will do anything about it. It is probably too insignificant an incidence as far as international crime goes, however, so they're not going to spend much time on solving it.

Last edited by N/A; 08-02-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:09 AM

Yes, what you said makes a lot of sense to me. I don't think it's worth going through the hassle with police etc..

I guess it's just my luck.. gonna throw the phone in the bin unless it can be unlocked.

Does anyone know if N70 can be unlocked? and if so, please advise where and cost?

Thanks & regards,
voki

Old 19-03-2006, 12:39 PM

ramoruba is on a distinguished road
YOUR HANDSET IS BLACKLISTED ie IT HAS BEEN REPORTED STOLEN FOR ONE REASON OR THE OTHER.SAVE YOURSELF SOME EMBARASSMENT.DONT EVEN TRY TO PURSUE THAT MATTER BECAUSE IT MIGHT LAND YOU IN JAIL.UNLESS YOU BOUGHT THAT PHONE FROM A REPUTABLE CELL PHONE OUTLET.GO TO THEM AND DEMAND YOUR REFUND AND TELL THEM THAT THEY HAVE SOLD YOU A STOLEN PHONE.IN MY COUNTRY ie SOUTH AFRICA YOU COULD VERIFY THAT INFO BY CALLING 1954 ON YOU WORKING VODACOM(NETWORK OPERATOR) TO CONFIRM THE STATUS OF YOUR HANDSET ie STOLEN or LEGAL
GOOD LUCK

Old 22-06-2008, 03:55 PM

markkyboy is on a distinguished road
SIM card registration failed

Hello all - i have been given an N95 with the same problem, but i can definately say that this phone is NOT stolen or barred.
T-Mobile who originally supplied the phone are sending me my Subsidy PIN, as a result, i have spoken to many T-Mobile CS representatives who say that the phone is still registered to its original owner, my friend who gave me the phone.
The phone has been firmware upgraded, reset, etc...but still the error comes up, i'm hoping that once it is unlocked, i can use my Orange SIM without the error occuring.
I'll keep you posted once i get the Subsidy PIN.
Regards
Markkyboy

Old 05-08-2008, 10:39 AM

Re: Sim card registration failed

Hi guys/gals
problem solved, eventually after waiting nearly 60 working days (not 28 working days as originally stated by T-Mobile CS), they finally gave me my Subsidy PIN, i can now use my Orange contract SIM in my N95, i now no longer have the error message of "sim card registration failed".

I would like to add that T-Mobile Customer Services are very helpful but don't actually stick to what they say they are going to do, very frustrating, i doubt i will ever be a customer of T-Mobile!!!

Now i have the Subsidy PIN, i am trying to generate/work out how these numbers are created from your phones IMEI. There must be a mathmatical solution that produces the unlock codes.

Regards
Markkyboy

Old 17-07-2009, 11:51 PM

olgr is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm in a similar situation (date of your last post duly noted and I am a year late ).
I unwittingly bought an N97 locked to T-Mobile on eBay and I wanted to use a 3 simcard with it. The T-Mobile customer service informed me that I had to get the original owner to call and ask for a subsidy pin (which I'm still trying to do but no joy yet). I was wondering if Markkyboy managed to work out an algorithm for this model or because it's a new generation BB5 phone and it's hardlocked there's little chance of unlocking it ourselves without the network operator code? Any info anyone? Many thanks.

Old 19-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Unhappy Subsidy Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by olgr View Post
I was wondering if Markkyboy managed to work out an algorithm for this model or because it's a new generation BB5 phone and it's hardlocked there's little chance of unlocking it ourselves without the network operator code? Any info anyone? Many thanks.
Hi Olgr,
in a word, "no", i thought i might be able to generate subsidy pins with the one T-Mobile gave me. But i'm no maths genius, not by a long shot. However i did come close to generating similar codes, but to no avail.
Sorry,
Markkyboy
Ads

Old 18-08-2009, 09:19 AM

jim5800 is on a distinguished road
help

i am having the same problem but i found if i put my phone into 3g mode it stop. it only comes up when i put it into dual mode