All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Opera Mini arrives - Exclusive Review

Steve Litchfield's discovered that Opera Mini's now alive and working and has been playing with it for a couple of days. Here's his review. Summary: it may change the way you browse on your smartphone - it will certainly chop your GPRS bill down to size...

Read on in the full article.

Old 20-12-2005, 08:32 AM

YrannAdX is on a distinguished road
WebViewer

Your review contain at least one wrong statement: "There have been several attempts at this in the wider PDA world, without it ever really taking off". I would like to remember you that before Opera Mini it was WebViewer from Reqwireless with millions of users, and working exactly the same. It was not free, but for me it was the most used browser on the phone. For some unknown reason WebViewer disappeared and now fortunately we have Opera Mini which is better. Even if I have a S60 phone, I am still using Opera Mini instead of full browser since it is faster and easier to read most of the web pages with it.

Old 20-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Two things though to point out that are differnt is that ReqWireless solution is a paid solution, whereas Opera Mini is free, and supports SSL.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 20-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
"millions of users"? I don't mean to knock a good product, but if it had millions of paid up users, the development company would now be huge and the product would be a household name in the Symbian world. As it was, I'd completely forgotten about it, proving that it can't exactly be very high profile...

8-)

Steve

Old 20-12-2005, 12:58 PM

bullroar is on a distinguished road
None S60 etc users might also like to know that the browser might well work on their phone. I downloaded the brower to my SE K750i this morning and it works just fine, way better than the in built one that came with the phone. I'll get on my S60 phone later.

Old 20-12-2005, 01:34 PM

akboom is on a distinguished road
I just tested Opera mini on my 6681 and it is superb.

Less GPRS usage, much faster, smaller foot print.

If Opera are eventually going to be giving this away for free or even charging a one off payment how would they justify charging a monthly fee for mobile accelerator?

From the speed and GPRS uage perspective, I prefer mini to opera native symbian app.

AK
Ads

Old 20-12-2005, 11:27 PM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
Opera Mini

Opera Mini is utterly fantastic! A big thank you to Steve for letting us know about it. I can't see me browsing the web on the phone via any other method from now on.

Old 22-12-2005, 07:50 PM

johnbartley is on a distinguished road
Not for Communicators

9300 & 9500s already have Opera. Don't bother installing this.

Old 22-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbartley
9300 & 9500s already have Opera. Don't bother installing this.
Opera is available for ALL current Symbian phones. Read the article. The point here is that Opera Mini significantly reduces bandwidth/cost for the user and at the same time speeds up the browsing experience.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 27-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
I think mini Opera is great! However I have a worry about security.

The mini Opera FAQ states the following about secure sites.

Quote:
Can I access secure sites with Opera Mini?
When you visit a secure site, the server will establish a secure connection to the Web site using the same security as desktop Opera. The information is then passed to the phone using OBML (Opera Binary Markup Language). This connection is not secure.
As the OBML message to (and presumably from) your phone is not secure is it likely that the unencrypted messages could be intercepted?