All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N70, N72 and N90

Poll: Which GPS Reciever do you use with Tom Tom, do you get any dropping connection issues
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which GPS Reciever do you use with Tom Tom, do you get any dropping connection issues

Old 07-11-2005, 01:58 PM

rich_slay is on a distinguished road
Angry N70 & Bluetooth GPS conncetion dropping

Here's a good problem for you. Got tom tom mobile on the n70 which seems to work fine when not connected to GPS, i.e. browsing maps etc.

If i turn the phone on hook up the bluetooth gps receiver ( a generic one not a tom tom one) tom tom does for a while work fine, then after x amount of minutes, guess a number between 5 and 60, usually when i'm cruising down the motorwayand not really needing it, it looses the connection to the GPS reciever. If i exit tom tom and go back in no joy, if i turn off the device and turn it back on no joy. The only ways i have found to get it back are to turn the bluetooth on the phone off then on and to reboot the phone. This is the only thing connected to the phone via bluetooth.

Has anyone else come across this problem? The gps i can send back but i wonder if it's a software problem and not actually a hardware problem at all??

Any hints/advice would be very greatfully recieved otherwise soon both gps and phone will be departing the car via the window at high speed.

Cheers

Rich

Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 AM

Phildenholm is on a distinguished road
EXACTLY the same problem here, had tomtom working fine with my GPS reciever in a 6600 6630 7610 and sice getting my n70 last week have had nothing but problems with it, i really need it too as im in hong kong at the moment on the way to sydney and as i have the australia maps was hoping to use it there to save having to use maps. My brother in law text me to say that he has spoke to tomtom about this and they say there is a un resolved problem with the bluetooth on the n70 that is causing the problem. Pleanty of people on here say they are having no problems using tomtom with the N70 so come on guys let us know what we are doing wrong i need to get this working asap!

Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 AM

gadget_sa is on a distinguished road
Mines working fine.... 5 hour trip up north (till the battery died) and only two drops, with (almost) instant reconnections!!
Mines a TT GPS Receiver... maybe thats the issue?

Old 08-11-2005, 11:33 AM

right thats a starting point, i have used all the same equipment with all previous phones same GPS and memory card and no problems! typical ehy just when you need it dam thing breaks!

Old 09-11-2005, 12:24 AM

loke.nor is on a distinguished road
I have also experienced that problem, but it doesn't click all the time! However when I have the connection it doesn't loose the signal. I have more success connecting the gps before the devices have managed to pair.

In other words, try starting tomtom before devices pairing.

If there is a ingeneer out there he could possible use the taskspy program on the phone to see if there are active tasks that can block something?

I'm using a evermore bt700 gps.

Come on guys, we must solve this one

In every other way the phone works fine. Anyone who has tried a bluetooth headset while navigating with tomtom?

Old 09-11-2005, 01:06 AM

i usualy connect to my GPS reciever automaticaly once that is up and working i connect to my nokia bt car kit and this used to work fine with my older phones, i thought perhaps connecting to the car kit was causing the problem so i stopped doing this but the problem remains.

One thing i have noticed is that when turning tomtom on every time it comes up and asks what device to use for the GPS were as my 6630 does not do this it just connects to it, and yes its set to make auto connections to te GPS reciever.

I have a feeling that tomtm will need to make another BT driver and maybe i have a older version of the driver? I am using v1.20
RM-84

Old 09-11-2005, 11:15 AM

loke.nor is on a distinguished road
That was interesting... How do you know what bt driver you have? Anyone knows where to upgrade such a driver in phone?

Old 11-11-2005, 12:36 AM

jamo9000 is on a distinguished road
N70 tomtom bluetooth

Hi,

I have been searching the web for ages then finally found your posting. I am having the exact same issue as you are, only mine freezes for a few minutes then states no gps devices and i have to reboot. It does it all the time and is totally not useable.

Please please if you find a solution i would be grateful for the informtaion as it is really annoying me, I just sold my 7610 and it worked perfectly - didnt crash or loose it once in months of constant use.

I hope there is a solution out there or i will have to revert back to a 7610

Kind regards

Old 11-11-2005, 05:38 AM

swat47 is on a distinguished road
My TTM5 dont work AT ALL on my N70...... If im lucky enough for the bluetooth not to cut off at random, it freezes my phone and when you try and go back to the phone using the menu key the screen is all white with only the options from the power key, forcing a reboot!! Ive given up using it! The 7610 is much more reliable so i use that for sat nav instead! (until someone can fix this annoying problem)

Old 11-11-2005, 04:10 PM

rich_slay is on a distinguished road
Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies, glad to know i'm not the only one struggling.
Interesting to see the differenet problems people are having. Jamo i also have the same problem (although less regualrly) with the software freezing and appearing to do nothing. I have however found that if you press the menu button and leave it for a couple of minsthe phone will come back to life. One thing to save constantly turning the phone on and off, you can just switch bluetooth on and off and in my experience this seems to have the same effect.

What version of software are people running (check by pressing *#0000#). i have 2.0536.02 i wonder if people who have it working have a dfiferent version.

I rung Nokia yesterday (another rant there, but will stick with this one now), they apparently have no record of any of these faults, so people ring Nokia ans lets all moan at them lots so they actually do something about it. They suggested i upgrade the firmwaree, but they were unable to tell me what the latest version is , anyone know?

I will ring Nokia again now and shout at them some more for being useless...

Any news on the BT driver thing, this error to me feels like the connection is freezing rather than dropping.

Rich

Old 12-11-2005, 12:06 AM

Tomtom mobile N70

HELP, any users who have tomtom mobile working properly on the N70

This freezing / loosing the gps problem is really pissing me off. I really rely on using tomtom mobile and at the moment it is completely useless to me as it is always freezing.

I have now called Nokia twice regarding this problem both times explaining in detail and stating it works perfectly on older Nokia models in my experience the 7610.

I have basically receieved no support at all and I get the impression they just dont care! I have now sent an email in and will just see what happens with that.

Please other people experiencing this problem email into nokia or call them, maybe only after they get several complaints will they decide to address the issue. I really dont want to go back to the 7610 but soon if this doesnt get resolved my N70 will end up in very small pieces put into an envelope and sent back to nokia!

I agree with other posts and believe this to be a bluetooth problem - Nokia really havent bothered to test this new bluetooth technology before releasing the N70 with it, Id rather have V1 and it to be working!

Old 12-11-2005, 03:51 PM

fingermouse is on a distinguished road
tom tom mobile n70????????????????/

how do you guys get tom tom onto the mobile??? i tried all sorts of ways with no luck. keep getting a silly cannot execute application message when trying to access the files from my mmc. i can read other files such as videos etc...???
why???
anyone able to tell me what security settings to have on the phone to get this thing to work i would appreciate it.
Ads

Old 12-11-2005, 09:46 PM

gavc_uk is on a distinguished road
N70 and TomTom bluetooth problem SOLVED

This one was buggin me since I got my N70 this week.

However, a trip over to Pocket GPS World forum found the answer.

You need to let TomTom pair the bluetooth receiver rather than allowing the phone to manage the pairing. I simply deleted my phone-gps pairing and fired up the bluetooth gps (tomtom mkII), waited until it had a fix then started up tomtom mobile. It instantly asked for the passkey and then all was merry!

Try it for yourself.

Gavin

Old 13-11-2005, 09:27 PM

gadget_sa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavc_uk
This one was buggin me since I got my N70 this week.

However, a trip over to Pocket GPS World forum found the answer.

You need to let TomTom pair the bluetooth receiver rather than allowing the phone to manage the pairing. I simply deleted my phone-gps pairing and fired up the bluetooth gps (tomtom mkII), waited until it had a fix then started up tomtom mobile. It instantly asked for the passkey and then all was merry!

Try it for yourself.

Gavin
Which is exactly what I said way back when this all started somewhere else on the forum (not this thread).

Let TT do the work and it'll work fine...

N70
V2.0536.0.2
12-09-05
RM-84

Papyrus
FS Caller
FExplorer
Voice Translator
Resco Viewer
Bowling Master
MGS Mobile Pool
TomTom 5

Old 13-11-2005, 09:42 PM

tomtom bluetooth discconect

Hi,

Thanks for your responses, yes it was my add on pocketgps that received that response.

please let me know if you have had tomtom running on the n70 for a long period of time without a crash more than an hour or so?

I have tried this and yes you are correct it does enable a connection with tomtom to the gps however after a random amount of time tomtom will freeze and then state no gps! This is still the same problem, I will then have to restart the phone and go all over again.

It is random sometimes after as little as a few minutes without the crash then as long as 20 minutes but it does still happen all the time. This soultion is not a fix, well not for me anyway, i still think it is a fault within the bluetooth of the Nokia N70 as it worked perfect on my older 7610 and NEVER crashed or froze once.

Please any more ideas or response from nokia will be much appreciated. I have now callled and emailed them many times still waiting for a solution. maybe a firmware or bluetooth update will be necesarry