All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-11-2005, 01:17 PM

whitfa is on a distinguished road
Question Any recommendations for reliable memory cards?

Hi there,

(First Post!)

I got my N70 the other week and ordered a 512Mb card from Mobymemory here. I've formatted it now three times but it still corrupts. I've not yet contacted Moby for a replacement, but before I do I thought I'd ask what cards you guys use?

Old 02-11-2005, 01:49 PM

macwhu is on a distinguished road
i bought a 512 card from http://www.datakits.co.uk
you have to make sure you get a dual voltage one
not all reduced mmc cards are compatable

which is why nokia are switching to mini SD cards with new models
such as teh swivelly music phone recently announced

Old 02-11-2005, 01:50 PM

Jimbob is on a distinguished road
I normally get my accessories from www.blueunplugged.com. Decent prices and never had a problem with any of their stuff.

I'm gonna be buying a new mem card for my N70 soon so will be interested in any replys.

One thing I did notice is that Nokia only show a 256 card on the website for the N70.

James

Old 02-11-2005, 02:10 PM

Ok, thanks for the tips!

If I could find a 512 Nokia card I'd probably go for that (if it was reasonably priced), but I can't see one anywhere!

My current card has got me a bit stumped. I haven't had any problems with either of the two cards I've ordered from Mobymemory for my previous SPVs (don't worry, I converted to Symbian now).

Does anyone know if the corruption on my card could have been caused by installing software for the wrong version of Series60? I would have assumed that the OS would tell me if the program about to be installed wasn't appropriate for this version of the OS?

I'm assuming that it's not the handset that's causing the problem - the 64Mb card that got bundled with it doesn't seem to suffer. Mind you, I've not tried installing the same programs on this card yet...

Old 03-11-2005, 12:52 PM

BigKingy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitfa
Ok, thanks for the tips!

If I could find a 512 Nokia card I'd probably go for that (if it was reasonably priced), but I can't see one anywhere!

My current card has got me a bit stumped. I haven't had any problems with either of the two cards I've ordered from Mobymemory for my previous SPVs (don't worry, I converted to Symbian now).

Does anyone know if the corruption on my card could have been caused by installing software for the wrong version of Series60? I would have assumed that the OS would tell me if the program about to be installed wasn't appropriate for this version of the OS?

I'm assuming that it's not the handset that's causing the problem - the 64Mb card that got bundled with it doesn't seem to suffer. Mind you, I've not tried installing the same programs on this card yet...
Hope its just that card mate as i was gonna order the exact same card drom mobimemory!

At least its all warrenty'd etc so should have no problems changing it

Old 03-11-2005, 01:22 PM

Just ordered myself a Kingston 512mb card from blueunplugged.com which will arrive tomorrow am. Will post any feedback

Old 03-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKingy
Hope its just that card mate as i was gonna order the exact same card drom mobimemory!

At least its all warrenty'd etc so should have no problems changing it
I've now reinstalled the same software on my bundled card that was on my moby card when it got corrupted, and no problems so far. I've had to do away with Nokia Lifeblog though as it doesn't seem to handle card-swopping very well - this was leaving corrupt lifeblog entries on my phone. Not sure whether this could have contributed to the corruption of my new card though?!

Old 03-11-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
Just ordered myself a Kingston 512mb card from blueunplugged.com which will arrive tomorrow am. Will post any feedback

Cool. I though about Kingston too. Let us know how you get on?

Old 08-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Hey all,

Got my Kingston 512 card on Friday. Shame I havent got a phone that works properly to use it in, but thats another story.

I have used the card in another phone and I have to say it's great. I transfered all the data from my old 64 card and it hardly touched the sides of the 512 card. I then put 2 full music albums on there and I still have loads of space, it's great and comes with my full recommendation.

whitfa: I used the File Transfer to copy the contents from my old card to the new and all worked fine and took 2 secs. Need any help then just shout.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:20 PM

double d is on a distinguished road
Talking

im using kingston mobile Mmc 512 MB DVRSMMC and it works perfectly on my n70.... you can also use Transcend Mobile mmc 512 MB DV RSMMC its also reliable.....

Old 08-11-2005, 04:35 PM

Thanks for all the feedback!

I've returned my card now, so I'll go for one of those - probably the Kingston!

Old 08-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I can recommend mobymemory.com - usually excellent. They have good customer service too and I'm sure they will replace the card. I've had any number of cards from them and they all been fine.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:34 PM

fingermouse is on a distinguished road
mymemory.co.uk has cards less than a 20 note for 512 kingston!

Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 PM

Adam is on a distinguished road
I have bought a few memory devices (usb pens, nokia smartphone mmc's) from PQI and can strongly recommend them.. they seem to produce dual-volt rs mmc too.
Ads

Old 09-11-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingermouse
mymemory.co.uk has cards less than a 20 note for 512 kingston!
Blimey, that seems like a bargain. Works out at 21.94 including a rather large postage charge, but still beats the pants off other deals out there!