All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-10-2005, 01:06 PM

gadget_sa is on a distinguished road
N70 Gallery!

Ok, not sure if I'm being a bit thick here, but I'm trying to get my head round the "GALLERY" system on the phone.

Every picture or video you take, or get sent by bluetooth goes straight into the "GALLERY"....

Now I know you can set the camera or video to save to an album, or you can create a folder (let's call it "My Pics") on the memory card and move the pictures there.

What I don't understand is that when you send a picture from the gallery to either one of your albums or your chosen folder (My Pics) the picture remains in "GALLERY".

Surely this is just doubling up on the storage you are using as it's being stored in two different places???

Why have Nokia not allowed the movement out of gallery into a folder!!!

Any offers??!!

Steve

Old 25-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The Gallery shows every picture and video stored on the phone. It doesn't matter where it is stored. Gallery will scan all folder. When you send a picture from the gallery you are moving it from it original location to a new location.

If you like Gallery keeps a record / database of where all the media files on the phone are stored. Gallery is intended as a way of easily viewing any media you may have on the phone.

i.e. Gallery is really just a viewer (think Picasa on the PC/Mac)

Old 25-10-2005, 02:31 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
....and Albums work like Groups in contacts, the picture stays in the same place but is 'grouped' together in to a 'album'

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 25-10-2005, 03:11 PM

Thanks guys,

So if I don't want to use that viewer, but prefer to go through to a folder first, then open up in a viewer, whats the best way forward?

Create the folder
Get a different viewer loaded and get rid of that one???

Any help or advice would be good.....

I know you're going to ask why I don't want to use the viewer.....
I like to take lots of pics and video, and it's just easier (more what I'm used to from my windows background) to stick it in a folder, go to the folder and browse that first before opening it up full screen and all that!

Cheers
Steve

Old 25-10-2005, 03:37 PM

EinZtein is on a distinguished road
Thanks for some great information guys.

@Steve,
I use Resco Viewer to view my pics. You can access pics by folder and you can even set to view thumbnails. You can also do some minor color editing and cropping with this app.

I've tried the rest and Resco is my favorite! On a side note, Resco also makes a nice rss news reader. And yes, I use to view many AAS forums via rss feeds.

Old 25-10-2005, 03:41 PM

Thanx EinZtein,
I'll have a look at that...

If I install it, will that over ride the existing gallery function or do I need to delete the apllication??

Steve

Old 25-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinZtein
Thanks for some great information guys.

@Steve,
I use Resco Viewer to view my pics. You can access pics by folder and you can even set to view thumbnails. You can also do some minor color editing and cropping with this app.

I've tried the rest and Resco is my favorite! On a side note, Resco also makes a nice rss news reader. And yes, I use to view many AAS forums via rss feeds.
Is that a request for me to get the RSS feeds working again properly?

Old 25-10-2005, 06:02 PM

EinZtein is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Is that a request for me to get the RSS feeds working again properly?
Yes, yes, it was working fine yesterday but this morning it locked up my Resco RSS Reader after downloading about 75%. I thought it might be my provider.

That would be great, I love reading posts in all AAS forums via Resco RSS Reader when my laptop is not tethered to my 6600. RSS is a great feature for quick access to forum posts directly to my phone, I love it so please fix

Thanks, AAS rocks!

Old 25-10-2005, 11:04 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget_sa
Thanx EinZtein,
I'll have a look at that...

If I install it, will that over ride the existing gallery function or do I need to delete the apllication??

Steve
You can not delete the existing gallery app, it is part of the system rom.

Just use resco and don't open the gallery, if you have an icon for it on active standby, change it for the resco icon.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia
Ads

Old 26-10-2005, 10:37 AM

Thanks RatKat...

Another question on it...
Is there aw ay that I can change where the camera stores the picture...
IE Can I make my own folder in say the Main Menu call it PICS and get the pictures saved there??
If so will Resco pick it up?

Another thing, It doesn't look like Resco handles Video??? Am I right

Steve

Old 26-10-2005, 12:50 PM
MAJ25

In agreement

I agree - dont know why Nokia did this... its really annoying. I want to file some pictures away and not have them come up on the slide show/gallery mode, but they always appear. It takes a while for the pictures to load when you have so many in the gallery.

Very annoying

Solutions other than downloading a new viewer welcome. Also - where do we get the viewer from? Does this solve the problem of pics/vid appearing in the gallery?

If you download Handy photo (prgrmamme that lets you store pics securely) does it still put the pics in the gallery 1st?!

Old 26-10-2005, 12:53 PM

I downloaded Resco as suggested and it's a nice application, but that still uses the same default folders that the Nokia gives!

I haven't found out if you create a seperate folder if it will pick them up, but either way, it would appear that everything goes into the Nokia Gallery whatever happens. And yes, the more you put in there, the longer it takes to load!!!
I don't think Resco covers Video either as it doesn't seem to see them on my handset?!?!?

Steve

Old 26-10-2005, 12:59 PM
MAJ25

Surely there must be a way around this... I have some personal pictures that I'd rather werent on view in the gallery and slide show when I show my mates!!!!!

Old 26-10-2005, 01:18 PM

Exactly the same reason here....

Reckon this will take some investigation, but I've tried loads of different ways....

Old 26-10-2005, 01:36 PM

steff2632 is on a distinguished road
guys if you want to hide certain pictures from the gallery then use fexploerer to hide them. the gallery only shows the pictures that are not hidden.
open fexplorer>find the image that you want to hide>options>file>set attributes>hidden
now the files are hiden from all OS applications e.g. gallery & file manger