All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-01-2002, 11:33 PM

fudge is on a distinguished road
Please advise where I can download new firmware.. cause based in Greece.. dont think we can get much done from support.

anyway.. Nokia.. should make it available since they release new versions all the time.. We simply cant be going to nokia service centers and leaving the phone with them and them not giving a temp phone for loan. Its a business phone by simple matter that we bought it..

what can I do.. especially when I cant even back up my data cause the OS has problems....

Old 15-01-2002, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Heh, I think we are all after that, but Nokia probably look at it as the same as installing a new engine in your car. You would give the car to a garage for that job to get it right, hence you give the phone to them to get it right, BUT HOW HARD CAN IT BE? Hmmm that's my little rant.

I agree with ya, but I doubt they'll change the system.

Flipside
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.
Ads

Old 15-01-2002, 09:03 AM

N9210 is on a distinguished road
Even if you did manage to get hold of the firmware upgrade, you would need the nokia black box to upgrade it and from what I've heard it cost about 10,000.
[addsig]

Old 15-01-2002, 10:30 AM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
The Holy Grail!

I'm not going to be able to upgrade firmware for a while because I can't afford to be 5 days without my phone and I really can't be bothered to do a 500 mile round trip. Sigh. But it's for the good of mankind, I mean, I'd rather a firmware upgrade go wrong in a Nokia shop than my house.

It would help, however, if there were more Nokia centres that could do this. As I said, I used to take my 7110 to Bridgend, South Wales. I wonder why they don't do the 9210?

Do you think these 'smaller' businesses will be able to do these upgrades eventually?

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 15-01-2002, 11:35 AM

samthepaokfan is on a distinguished road
I must agree with Fudge... I am as well located here in Thessaloniki, Greece, and i have to agree that we encounter a lot of problems, technical mistakes, delays and lies by Mr & Mrs Nokia at their centers, clubs, reunion places, kindergarten rooms, etc...

I am strating to believe that you people in central Europe are more lucky than us.

The question for us is either to stay with our older versions or decide to upgrade with all the nasty consequences we encounter here in Greece.

I agree that Mr & Mrs nokia's philosophy is to create some phones, but when you deal with phones applying to software and internet, at least play according to the rules.

Therefore I still believe that an update could be done through the net, for example, if you were member of club nokia. Because at the end, we are the paying pigs as usual !!!

Regards & Filakia
[addsig]

Old 15-01-2002, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

I think having an option so that those of us who feel capable can do it ourselves, then the average person can send it away. Much in the same way you waste 3 hours re-installing windoze, and the average person pays someone else to do it.

Flipside

Old 15-01-2002, 04:22 PM

Jan is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

To the people from Greece You're not alone. Belgium +- a month for a 30 mins update!!!!! Nokia's service is bad. BAD BAD BAD!!! To Nokia goto <!-- BBCode auto-link start -->www.palm.com<!-- BBCode auto-link end -->, read & learn how simple it is to update yourself!!!!! But hey, you allready have our money, right?!?

Jan

Old 15-01-2002, 04:54 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-15 1420, Flipside wrote
Much in the same way you waste 3 hours re-installing windoze, and the average person pays someone else to do it.

Flipside
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

Blast you mean I should have been charging people for doing it [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Andy

Old 15-01-2002, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Heh I charge anyone except close friends and family. Not much, but enough to get me to uni for a week on the bus.

Flipside

Old 16-01-2002, 12:52 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I symapthise with everyone... I like to think that firmware upgrade weren;t really necessary and the phone was stable enough, but its not (or wasn't probably is now).

The truth is the majority of users wont ever bother with a firmware upgrade above 4.13 and would only rarely upgrade another Nokia mobile so there isn't a good system in place.

Its still a pain in the neck for everyone else though...

Rafe

Old 16-01-2002, 05:27 AM

HyPeR is on a distinguished road
i am really shocked at how okia behaves out there. Here in India (Bombay) i can get the upgrade done in a few hours, infact sometimes if there not much ruch, they tell me to wait & i get it in an hour max.
Also the service here is good , maybe cause there are not so many people who are using it as its very very expensive & only the "RICH" , so to speak can afford it.

Can anyone give me a more detailed explaination on the advantages of the 4.13 ver.? Ive not yet upgraded my phone.

ciao

gaurav

Old 16-01-2002, 10:56 AM

People, people.

As long as it would be nice to upgrade the phone firmware by yourself, we still must remember that 9210 is not a PC, it's still a phone. The OS&firmware do not reside on user accessible storage for numerous reasons, security being one and not the least of them. (Lots of system architectural points being most important, I guess).
Anyhow, to upgrade the firmware, you would need flash programmer, right interface, right programming sw, encryption dongle AND Nokia's authorisation...
Summa summarum it is not, and it will not be possible for user to upgrade the firmware.

-me

Old 16-01-2002, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

I take it you never owned an Amiga or Atari then [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

They may store the OS in ROMs but that ain't gonna stop a determined user upgrade. The only reason Windoze is on yer hard drive is because M$ don't give a **** about the space they waste on your pc.

Flipside