All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-10-2005, 06:50 AM

ascolano_in_dc is on a distinguished road
add writing language to 6682?

I came to love text messaging while working in Italy last year, thus its one of my favorite features on my new 6682. Unfortunately, it came installed with three "writing languages", none of which is Italian. (Cingular was kind enough to give me English, French and Spanish.) I thought it would be easy enough to find a plug-in or something but evidently my googling skills are sadly deficient. I've found absolutely nothing.

Have you ever installed a new writing language to your 6682/6681? Aiuto!

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:05 AM
Le Meilleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascolano_in_dc
I came to love text messaging while working in Italy last year, thus its one of my favorite features on my new 6682. Unfortunately, it came installed with three "writing languages", none of which is Italian. (Cingular was kind enough to give me English, French and Spanish.) I thought it would be easy enough to find a plug-in or something but evidently my googling skills are sadly deficient. I've found absolutely nothing.

Have you ever installed a new writing language to your 6682/6681? Aiuto!

Thanks.
You have to bring it to a Nokia Point. I remeber I read somewhere you have to flash it to the firmware version with the desired t9 dictionary.
bye

Old 11-10-2005, 07:21 AM

Le Meilleur,
Thank you. I will visit a Nokia Point when I am in Italy in a few weeks. (There are no similar Nokia retail stores in the US, are there?) I notice under the Tools>Settings>Phone>General, the languages available for the phone are the same 3 languages as are available when writing text. You are probably right. I can probably not just insert a 'text language' module, like I had assumed. I will have to install an entire language set for the phone, which will make a new language available for the SMSs.

Again, thank you.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Le Meilleur

Quote:
Le Meilleur,
Thank you. I will visit a Nokia Point when I am in Italy in a few weeks. (There are no similar Nokia retail stores in the US, are there?) I notice under the Tools>Settings>Phone>General, the languages available for the phone are the same 3 languages as are available when writing text. You are probably right. I can probably not just insert a 'text language' module, like I had assumed. I will have to install an entire language set for the phone, which will make a new language available for the SMSs.

Again, thank you.
It seems Nokia Shops/Stores are an Euro-feature only ( http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,59790,00.html ). Bye.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:57 PM

I'm in Europe enough so that will not be a problem. On the other hand, I think I'm going to have a big problem once I get there...at least based on the reply I got from Nokia's customer service department (below). To their credit, this is one of the most responsive customer care email responses I've ever experienced on the web. But that's where my praise must end.

I'm sick of these rigid design decisions being taken that are meant purely to maintain the barriers between markets with potentially huge differences in pricing policies. Why can't Nokia make things like the 3 installed languages an option to the proud new owner of a USD400 device, and let it be fixed thereafter?

QUOTE:
We understand your concern with regards to changing the T9 predictive text language in your Nokia 6682 phone.

David, your Nokia 6682 phone is not designed to have predictive text languages changed, or switched with other display languages. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.
END QUOTE:

Old 13-10-2005, 12:31 PM

Le Meilleur,
Maybe in Europe Nokia will allow you to flash a new language set into the 6682 but not in the States. I remain convinced that this "preloaded, fixed" language design by Nokia is purely market segmentation...considering their most recent communique to me (again, copied below) and considering that the 6682 costs about USD 375-400 here and the comparable 6681 costs about EUR 400 in Italy (pari a USD 475).

So there you have it. A forum thread concluded, albeit not the way I had hoped. Nice 'talking' with you!

QUOTE...
David, we appreciate your comments and concerns regarding the inability to add the Italian language to your Nokia 6682 phone. Each Nokia handset has preloaded languages based on the region where it was made.

At this time, we do not exchange phones. You may want to contact that place of purchase to inquire about their return policy.
END QUOTE...

Old 14-10-2005, 07:31 AM
Le Meilleur

Quote:
Le Meilleur,
Maybe in Europe Nokia will allow you to flash a new language set into the 6682 but not in the States. I remain convinced that this "preloaded, fixed" language design by Nokia is purely market segmentation...considering their most recent communique to me (again, copied below) and considering that the 6682 costs about USD 375-400 here and the comparable 6681 costs about EUR 400 in Italy (pari a USD 475).

So there you have it. A forum thread concluded, albeit not the way I had hoped. Nice 'talking' with you!

QUOTE...
David, we appreciate your comments and concerns regarding the inability to add the Italian language to your Nokia 6682 phone. Each Nokia handset has preloaded languages based on the region where it was made.

At this time, we do not exchange phones. You may want to contact that place of purchase to inquire about their return policy.
END QUOTE...

Maybe next time I'll stop at a Nokia Point I'll ask directly this question to an operator. If you agree send me your email address through a forum private message. bye

Old 15-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
You might also want to try this 3rd party software:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/softw..._6680/?s=input

Old 27-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Le Meilleur

Here's what I gathered from a shop attendant at the nokia point. It's possible to upload a new firmware to a
nokia mobile phone but one has to choose a determined set/flavour of
firmware. Usually these sets contain 3 T9 language dictionaries
(it-en-de, en-fr-es, et cetera), therefore the procedure is feasible
albeit you've to reach a nokia flag store.

Best wishes
Ads