All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-10-2005, 10:57 AM

oshioyi is on a distinguished road
3230 silent mode no incoming sms vibration and more bugs

hi, i've been a nokia user all the way, and my last 2 phones were the symbian 6600 and 7610. i've just bought the 3230 as my 7610 died.

3230 is really weird. Here are my observations. I have tested 3 sets of 3230s from frens and we are all using V 3.0515.0ch 15-04-05 firmware.

Programs I bought that worked on the 7610 do not work with the 3230. ActiveDesk and some Psiloc software.

If you have any solves for my following problems, please reply as there are many frustrated users out there.

1. One big problem is on Silent Profile, there is no way to have the phone vibrate when sms comes in. It vibrates when incoming call but NOT for sms. So when i'm in a conference or meeting or movie, i need to keep checking my phone for any smses.

2. Any ring tone set will first preceed with a "beep" before the ring tone starts playing. Why is that so??

3. SMS used to start off with "text input" instead of the Numeric input now, so I need to make 1 more extra step when trying to recall a friends contacts. NEW MESSAGE, then # to change to text, then key in the name for predictive contacts to show up.

4. SMS no longer has smileys that were so convenient to type in the older versions. I just press 1 1 1 and i get a :-). This function no longer exists.

5. The buttons are soooo hard to press. I have to slow down my smsing now as i have to press harder and sometimes, miss out on letters due to not pressing hard enough.

6. SMSes can no longer be stored on RSMMC card. I have to buy Oxygen Symbian to backup my smses.

The phone looks cool and the pics and video are great... but these simple usability features really spoil my experience of the 3230.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:52 PM

Rich_uk is on a distinguished road
most of you issues have been answered in this forum already. the silent sms problem has been fixed in v4.0526.2 but as I'm on orange in the uk i cannot have this version as its only for sim free handsets. i have to put up with the bastardised version of software orange have installed. the beep b4 tones has been reduced but not removed in the latest FW.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:03 PM

wormie_dk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_uk
most of you issues have been answered in this forum already. the silent sms problem has been fixed in v4.0526.2 but as I'm on orange in the uk i cannot have this version as its only for sim free handsets. i have to put up with the bastardised version of software orange have installed. the beep b4 tones has been reduced but not removed in the latest FW.
When has 4.0526.2 been released? I have just visited a service center in denmark which claimed that V 3.0505.2 which I have is the newest version...

Old 07-10-2005, 06:10 PM

Rich_uk is on a distinguished road
i think what F/W you have is a dependent on your location and what network your on. i've got F/W version 3.0517.1 but that is the most up to date F/W for the 3230 on the orange network in the uk. bloody annoying as i want the vibrate problem fixed as well and my local service center won't install the sim free version of the F/W.
i found out about the v4.0526.2 F/W through the guys at what mobile magazine's forum

Last edited by Rich_uk; 07-10-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:23 PM

bonny is on a distinguished road
Cool i can solve ur No vibration in silent mode problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_uk
i think what F/W you have is a dependent on your location and what network your on. i've got F/W version 3.0517.1 but that is the most up to date F/W for the 3230 on the orange network in the uk. bloody annoying as i want the vibrate problem fixed as well and my local service center won't install the sim free version of the F/W.
i found out about the v4.0526.2 F/W through the guys at what mobile magazine's forum
here is wat u need to do if u havent done yet to solve ur no vibration problem.

Make a ring tone using any sound software of length 3-4 seconds which is blank.that means there is no sound in it. now transfer it to ur 3230. Go to profiles and make a new profile named "Vibrate". Now set the silent ringtone for

Ringing tone, line 1
Ringing tone, line 2
Message alert tone
Chat alert tone

Also do these:

Set ringing type as "Ringing"
Ringing Volume should be set to "full"
Vibrate alert should be "on"
keypad tones should be "off"
Warning tones should be "off"
Alert for "All calls"

Now activate the profile ...... ur phone act as if in silent mode tat is no sound but vibration is there ...... enjoy

Last edited by bonny; 12-10-2005 at 02:24 PM. Reason: mistake

Old 12-10-2005, 03:05 PM

SUPERB! I did do the silent.mp3 thing but i didn't set the ring tone to be max volumn so it didn't work and i didn't try harder. Thanks! now if only there's a way to rid the warning.mp3 beep thingy. ahah.
Ads

Old 12-10-2005, 09:37 PM

bonny is on a distinguished road
do tell me whether it worked in ur phone or not.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:42 PM

hammi_poop is on a distinguished road
hi there, i have tried to tackle the problem with your advice, i cant make mp3's on my comp i tried it with a wav file and it didnt work i was wondering if anyone could help me more on this?

Old 02-11-2005, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammi_poop
hi there, i have tried to tackle the problem with your advice, i cant make mp3's on my comp i tried it with a wav file and it didnt work i was wondering if anyone could help me more on this?
try this http://www.geocities.com/oshioyi/3230.html