All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-11-2002, 01:56 PM

Yug_r is on a distinguished road
running smtp server for use with 7650

Hello,

I have kpn netherlands and the dumb f*cks don't have a smtp server installed, which basically means that I can't sent email using my 7650. I had the idea of running my own anonymous smtp server, which only allows incoming connections from the ip-range of my provider
(kpn netherlands). Now the only problem is to get to know the ip-address of my phone. I already tried connecting to the smtp server, and then checking with netstat what the ip-address was, but for some reason this did not work. Anyone any ideas? Also with respect to good smtp-server programs?
thanxx...

Old 13-11-2002, 02:16 PM

cmatthee is on a distinguished road
Have you asked your provider? Or have you asked them to assign you a fixed address? I asked my ISP once to assign a fixed IP to me, and they agreed.

Old 13-11-2002, 02:19 PM

it's not my isp that's the problem. It's my mobile phone operator that operates the GPRS network. I don't even know wheter it is possible to get a fixed IP address for your phone...

Old 13-11-2002, 03:42 PM

willbrady is on a distinguished road
Hi.

Use a 7650 webviewer and go here: (might work on WAP, never tried)
http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/

You will get a page telling you your IP address then just open you SMTP server to the full range as your IP will probably be dynamic.

If you don't have a 7650 webviewer then connect your phone as a moden to your laptop and surf to the page on your laptop.

Best

Will
Ads

Old 13-11-2002, 04:33 PM

thanx willbrady!!

Old 13-11-2002, 04:52 PM

willbrady is on a distinguished road
Hi.

I just read another post and it says that webviewer uses their own proxy for internet connections - in which case if you use webviewer you may be given the wrong IP address as it may report the IP address of the proxy.

In which case you would have to connect your phone as a modem to your laptop and surf to the page that way to get the IP address of you GPRS connection as required.

Best

Will

Old 13-11-2002, 07:50 PM

sosolidnix is on a distinguished road
SMTP Server Lycos should word becos i use it!

Old 14-11-2002, 08:21 AM

saurabhbhatia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosolidnix
SMTP Server Lycos should word becos i use it!
Hi,

Do you need to be registered for the the mail service from Lycos to be able to use it???

What is the address

Old 14-11-2002, 11:59 AM

allthumbs is on a distinguished road
Yug_R,

I find it hard to believe that a major teleco with as much tradition (and employees) as KPN doesn't have a SMTP server. It can't be that simple.
More probable is that they don't have it either configured or, still more likely, integrated, into their GPRS system.

On the conspiracy side, they may not want to make it available. After all, it is an ex-monopoly ...

On the positive side, if you're successful in your attempts, you might be the man to solve the problem for them - they also usually pay well -)

I've been reading the posts on SMTP sending here and doing some experiments and it's not one of the easiest issues. It's seems that an amazing number of 7650 users cannot send emails from their device.

Unless of course they install special software, but that reduces memory space and, in all truth, the native functionality of the 7650 should be able to manage it (lack of authentication options is a bit of a let-down though).

The underlying problem is that it's operator dependent, so not all of the advice read here in this forum on the subject will be relevant to any one particular user. For instance, I'm trying to solve this problem for Vodafone Spain. When I find the answer, it'll probably be usseful only to other Vodafone Spain subscribers. A pain really. A major bleeding pain.