All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-09-2005, 01:25 AM

Esprit is on a distinguished road
PC Suite won't sync Outlook

I recently bought a Nokia 9500 and downloaded PC Suite v. 6.6.16, but I am unable to sync Outlook from my PC because my PC is running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. Apparently PC Suite works with other versions of Windows.

I expect there must be a lot of people around the world with the same operating system as me, and if they can't sync Outlook they all have a very good reason NOT to buy a Nokia 9500 .

Is Nokia aware of this problem and, if so, is Nokia trying to fix it?
Does anyone have any information on how or when this problem might be resolved?

Esprit.

Old 21-09-2005, 05:51 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
It'll work OK with WinXP SP2 in general. Why it doesn't in your case is hard to say without more information.

Are other PC Suite features working OK?

How are you connected (USB cable or Bluetooth)?

What happens, exactly, when you attempt to sync?

Have you checked if there's an interfering virus scanner or firewall app on your PC?

Old 21-09-2005, 12:23 PM
manta

N/A is right, in fact the Windows XP Service Pack 2 is the most used PC Suite environment, so everything should work the best in that environment. there is something wrong in your configuration and more info is needed before we can try to help
Ads

Old 22-09-2005, 02:43 AM

Esprit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
It'll work OK with WinXP SP2 in general. Why it doesn't in your case is hard to say without more information.

Are other PC Suite features working OK?

How are you connected (USB cable or Bluetooth)?

What happens, exactly, when you attempt to sync?

Have you checked if there's an interfering virus scanner or firewall app on your PC?
N/A. Thanks for your reply. Here are some more details. I am using Outlook 2002 and Norton AntiVirus 2004 is running in the background. Script blocking is turned off in Norton. I am unaware of any firewalls on my PC other than those which may be provided by the standard Norton software. The firmware on my Nokia 9500 is v 4.51(0). The 9500 is connected to my PC by a Nokia supplied USB cable (DKU-2).

I have two problems with PC Suite.

1. I click on the Sync icon in PC Suite and sometimes, instead of the syncing procedure, I get a message box that says "View Report" and when I view the report I get a warning message that the "mobile phone has not responded". However, this message contradicts an earlier pop-up box which appears when I insert the USB cable plug into the 9500 and which says the 9500 is now connected. Unplugging and replugging the cable into the 9500 has no effect when PC Suite is in this frame of mind.

2. Occasionally, I am able to get PC Suite to sync Outlook, but then it persists in doing it over and over again, despite my request for a sync to be activated manually. When PC Suite is hyperactive like this, I am unable to persuade it to do anything else. I cannot transfer files, for example, and eventually PC Suite locks up and I have to open Windows Task Manager to close it down.

I have tried many, many times uninstalling Nokia PC Suite and Connectivity Cable Driver, and then downloading PC Suite once again. Is there a solution?

Old 22-09-2005, 06:26 PM
manta

1. "Mobile phone has not responded" actually means that the sync client in your phone has not responded, the overall connected to phone may still be OK. YOu should chech that the sync profile in your phone is OK (I mean if ou have played around with it, maybe you changed something unintentionally).

The "hyperactive thing" was a new one, never heard anythign like that...

Old 22-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit
I have tried many, many times uninstalling Nokia PC Suite and Connectivity Cable Driver, and then downloading PC Suite once again. Is there a solution?
It's starting to sound as if it's your Windows installation that's screwed. In such cases, especially if it has been a while since you last reinstalled Windows, I'd be tempted to go down that route and make everything 'fresh and new'. I can confirm that SP2 and PC Suite 6.6 work perfectly, here and on most systems. But Windows is a complex beast!!

Steve Litchfield