All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-06-2005, 11:19 AM

awyeah is on a distinguished road
Which is better? P910i, O2 XDA IIs or 9500?

I've been away quite long from the forum, anyway am back.

I am looking to upgrade my heavy, bulky and now truly obsolete nokia 9210i communicator within this month. Here in Malaysia, now adays there are 3 high end phones:

1) Sonyericsson P910i
2) O2 XDA IIs
3) Nokia 9500 Communicator

I am looking within these 3 phones, which to buy.

DIFFERENCES I CURRENTLY KNOW:
a) The P910i has no doubt a 256k color screen.
b) The O2 XDA IIs and Nokia 9500 have 64k color screens, with that in mind Nokia 9500 has a dual screen than the other two.
c) The O2 XDA IIs has a full screen 1.3megapixel camera, which I was told, better than the other two phones.
d) The P910i has has a touchscreen + keyboard. The O2 only touch screen and the 9500 only a keyboard.
e) The P910i is fairly an older model released in the market compared to the 9500 and O2's new XDA IIs.

Comparing the weight and length all other two are light than the 9500 and are more easily carriable and accessible -- since te 9500 cannot fit into ordinary pockets.

Comparing the 9500 and P910i
http://www.esato.com/phones/index.php/phone=120,cp=163

So please give me your oppinons and reviews, which would be the best phone to currently purchase out of these 3 -- if price does not matter.

Which has the best camera -- picture quality? Has the most features? Which is the best phone to carry now adays? Also software supporting wise?

Which would you buy out of these three phones? And why? Please state your reasons, so I may have an idea.

=================================
Email: awyeah@awyeah.org
MSN Messenger: awyeah@awyeah.org

Last edited by awyeah; 12-06-2005 at 11:23 AM. Reason: If I tell you I'll have to kill you!@

Old 12-06-2005, 04:41 PM

hussainh is on a distinguished road
I dont know stuff about the XDA. But I have had the p910i and the keyboard is virtually useless. I gave it to my brother and purchased a 9500 and havent looked back. The camera seems a bit clearer than the p910i as well. The keyboard is functional to no end. You know my vote. Btw, Im 20 so style is also on the list of important factors and I still chose the 9500.

Previous phones:
Motorola V66
Nokia 7210
Nokia 7250
Sony Ericsson P800
Sony Ericsson P900

Currently:
Sony Ericsson P910i
Nokia 9500
Nokia 8800
Ads

Old 12-06-2005, 06:15 PM

HyPeR is on a distinguished road
i've used all three.... 9500 is the best.
P910i has a good screen, usless keyboard, less memory...almost same as P900.
O2 XDA IIs is very good, but not good battery life(not even a day), very unstable OS.
9500 has good memory,good screen,xalant battery,xalant screen,stable OS & lots of 3rd party software(this is comman for all 3)

try typing a 15-20 line email to someone of a P910i's keyboard..ur thumb will give way after 2lines & in the XDA IIs its not that easy to use handwritting recognition.... THEY KEYBOARD IS THE BEST.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
It really depends what you want from your phone. I've used all of these (although not the XDA II for very long) and I probably prefer the P910i, but thats alot to do with the fact I use it as a phone a lot and its the best suited for that task. The screen is also nice for reading eBooks, and the odd bit of web browsing. However data entry is easier on a 9500. A Bluetooth keyboard can solve that issue though. The 9500 has much better built in software too.

The XDA II is a nice device, but personally the form factor is wrong for me. The software isn't too my liking (a lot of people do though, each platform has it fans) and Hyper noted battery life isn't too impressive.

Old 13-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
From what I've seen of the three the 9500 is probably the most pocketable. Fits easilly in jeans or my work trousers etc. Hell it's even comfortable when I'm wearing shorts.

Usability wise the 9500 is my winner because the decent keyboard as standard, I do a fair amount of data entry and the others would be far too awkward to use day in day out.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 14-06-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade
From what I've seen of the three the 9500 is probably the most pocketable. Fits easilly in jeans or my work trousers etc. Hell it's even comfortable when I'm wearing shorts.

Usability wise the 9500 is my winner because the decent keyboard as standard, I do a fair amount of data entry and the others would be far too awkward to use day in day out.
Thanks for your reply guys. I think I will stick to the 9500 -- as I had previously planned to purchase.

Although I was interested in a 256k screen rather than a 64k, since 256k is 4x times more than 256k + lots of people told me the P910i and XDA have more bigger wider screens, which makes it easily to watch movies, video songs, pictures etc, while the 9500's screen is small compared in area and alot thinner, lengthier , but it does have a dual screen then.

As for the XDA battery, it does have a backup battery my friend has it, and he showed it to me, it can last 2 days easily he said. The 9500 is the most expensivest in the market currently. The price of XDA IIs has gone down and is almost same as compared to 9500 or a little less, while P910i is not in a very high range anymore, due to its release being quite old from now.

Last edited by awyeah; 14-06-2005 at 08:50 AM.

Old 15-06-2005, 09:23 AM
xoio

The difference between 64k colours & 256k colours is also subjective....
As if the human eyes is really going to be able to see the difference on a tiddly little lcd display *LOL*

It's all marketing masturbation & Ooooohhhh look what we can do now! ..Buy my phone!

Get the phone that does the JOB, the best for you!

Old 18-07-2005, 10:59 AM

Ahh... 3 more things.

1) I watch movies on my phones sometimes or play video and other media files.

- The 9500's screen is a bit wider, can it play videos correctly (not at a widle angle) in full screen?
- I know the O2's screen is not very thin and is quitely like a square shape rather than the 9500 so vidoes, media and songs can be played on a full screen.

2) Also one thing I noticed was, the 9500 has no direct socket for stereo headphones or earphones as the other two devices, the P910i and O2 XDA. Like I can leave my mp3 player at home and connect the 9500 with my car's audio system through a playback audio cassette which I use, or just use the 9500 as a mp3 player where ever I am.

I have seen the O2 xda has the ear/head-phone jack, even one of my friends has a motorolla E368 something phone, a normal smartphone not a very high-end gadget, even that device also has a socket for normal ear/head-phones. Well almost every phone now adays has it.

Is there any kind of coverter jack I can probobaly use to switch that long 12-16 pin 9500 connecter into a stereo jack or headphone so as I can connect my bang and olufsen earphones or those bulky headphones to the 9500?

Nokia 9500 is selling a similar earphones, like the handsfree one with the same pin connector, only thing is the handsfree has support for 1 ear, and nokia's earphones have support for 2 ears then. But they are bought additionally and not included in the package.

The thing is nokia's those earphones suck and I need good quality earphones! Any solutions?

3) Is the camera image quality on the 9500 better than the 6600 or are they just almost equal? 1.3 megapixel or not? (Nokia hasn't listed camera's specifications on their website)

Last edited by awyeah; 18-07-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Old 18-07-2005, 01:05 PM

CJackel492 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by awyeah
Ahh... 3 more things.

1) I watch movies on my phones sometimes or play video and other media files.

- The 9500's screen is a bit wider, can it play videos correctly (not at a widle angle) in full screen?
- I know the O2's screen is not very thin and is quitely like a square shape rather than the 9500 so vidoes, media and songs can be played on a full screen.

2) Also one thing I noticed was, the 9500 has no direct socket for stereo headphones or earphones as the other two devices, the P910i and O2 XDA. Like I can leave my mp3 player at home and connect the 9500 with my car's audio system through a playback audio cassette which I use, or just use the 9500 as a mp3 player where ever I am.

I have seen the O2 xda has the ear/head-phone jack, even one of my friends has a motorolla E368 something phone, a normal smartphone not a very high-end gadget, even that device also has a socket for normal ear/head-phones. Well almost every phone now adays has it.

Is there any kind of coverter jack I can probobaly use to switch that long 12-16 pin 9500 connecter into a stereo jack or headphone so as I can connect my bang and olufsen earphones or those bulky headphones to the 9500?

Nokia 9500 is selling a similar earphones, like the handsfree one with the same pin connector, only thing is the handsfree has support for 1 ear, and nokia's earphones have support for 2 ears then. But they are bought additionally and not included in the package.

The thing is nokia's those earphones suck and I need good quality earphones! Any solutions?

3) Is the camera image quality on the 9500 better than the 6600 or are they just almost equal? 1.3 megapixel or not? (Nokia hasn't listed camera's specifications on their website)
1) The 9500 doesn't play movies that well, which is ashame, it has the screen for it, just not the processing power,

There is a movie converter out there which will convert some DVD's to play on the 9500 but the frame rate is too slow IMO,

2) I use the stereo headphones I got with my 6230, I do get stereo out from the 9500 which is nice, and I do use it to play MP3's,

I have converted an old nokia headphone lead to give me an output from a 3.5" socket (Line level only), the problem is that the left and right outputs don't have a common ground, this is noticable when the 9500 disconnects the audio it pops,

I think if you don't mind cutting the cable on your headphones then it might work, the speaker impedance might be the next problem,

Best thing would be an amplifed stereo booster with differental input, Something I was working on, but don't have the time anymore,

3) The camera is only a QVGA camera, the same as the 6230,

The good thing is the recording time, 60 mins video,

Hope this helps,

Carl,

Old 18-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
1) Video quality is OK as long as you use a 3rd party player.

3) The camera has VGA resolution, not QVGA.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson