All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-06-2005, 01:19 AM

Tretboot is on a distinguished road
Unhappy a bit disappointed with my new 9300...

Hi and first: Great site with lots of usefull information! Keep up the good work!

I have been lurking around for some days, because i was able to get a new phone. I had a Nokia 3650 and was very happy with it for the most time. Now i wanted a phone with more memory and a full keyboard, because i often use irc chat, agile messenger etc. when im not at home. So i was very amazed by the Series80 phones and the Nokia 9300.

But now after i played around with it the whole day i am a bit frustrated Besides the Keyboard and Memory the killerargument for me was that i would be able to play Civilisation on my new phone! Much like i was amazed by the 3650 beeing able to run doom (if you somehow manage to get enough memory free...).

So the first shock got me even before i got my new phone: Mobile Civilisation is no more. After an email to redshift i know its because of Atari holding the rights to Civilisation. Somehow i managed to still get it (would have bought it, and have bought the original many years ago with my Amiga 500, and an Original for PC, and Civilisation 2 for PC). So first thing i tryed was getting that to work. I can install (get a message that its not compatible) but when i want to start it i get an "Operation is not supported" message. I tryed Version 1.0 and 1.1

Frustrated by that i went on getting an IRC client. But there is no irc client for s80, only a java client called jmirc. But it works fine so far. Next thing was to get it to work over bluetooth so i can sit outside when the weather is good and chat and surf over my dsl. But it seems that its not possible. I tortured google and played around with connection settings, but it does not work. With my old 3650 that worked just fine (but i always missed a full keyboard). So i tryed to get it online with the USB cable, but no, that is not possible too! I can select IP Passthrough, but Windows wants some RNDIS driver, and from what i learned, that is not existing!

Even more frustrated now i watched at my new fellow and thought i try running some videos on it, as it has a very nice Display. But i got frustrated by that as well. Everything with more resolution that my 3650 was capable of runs choppy, seems the cpu has not enough power (tried running from mmc and phone memory), but i can understand that, even slower pcs get problems with Divx of resolutions with 640*something.

But all that leaves me now with a very bad feeling about my new fellow. I was so exited of all the things i could do with it, and now most things i wanted do not work

I still like the full keyboard, the display, agile messenger works fine (only over gprs) and i can play Doom now without having to worry about memory, but sound does not work there...

So any sugesstions how i and my new fellow can still be friends?

Frustrated greetins

Tretboot

Last edited by Tretboot; 03-06-2005 at 01:22 AM.

Old 03-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Civ, yeah thats a pain I loved playing that on my 9210 and the lack of a 9500/9300 version is very annoying. As for connecting to your DSL the only solution I know of is Wlan which the 9300 lacks.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretboot
Even more frustrated now i watched at my new fellow and thought i try running some videos on it, as it has a very nice Display. But i got frustrated by that as well. Everything with more resolution that my 3650 was capable of runs choppy
You should give the Mobile Media Maker a shot. Even full screen vids run quite smoothly.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 03-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Jowls is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your frustrations with your new phone.

Quote:
Mobile Civilisation is no more. After an email to redshift i know its because of Atari holding the rights to Civilisation.
This is not really a fault of the phone, but now that you have Redshift on the line, did you try Legacy? That game has made many long waits in airports endurable for me...

Quote:
But it works fine so far. Next thing was to get it to work over bluetooth so i can sit outside when the weather is good and chat and surf over my dsl. But it seems that its not possible.
I would almost advice you to exchange your 9300 for a 9500. Never mind the camera, but the WIFI is superb and offers improved speed and range over a Bluetooth connection.

Quote:
i tryed to get it online with the USB cable, but no, that is not possible too! I can select IP Passthrough, but Windows wants some RNDIS driver, and from what i learned, that is not existing!
That is not quite correct. It does exist - it is called Network Bridge and you can get it here...

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-881,00.html

Whether it works or not I cant tell since I havent actually tried it myself.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:27 PM

Tretboot is on a distinguished road
Maybe i will give Legacy a try. Its true, not nokias fault there, but i thought it would run and was imagining all the places were i could play civ. Its just a superb game with great replay value

Exchanging for a 9500... Not sure if and how that is possible. I gave WiFi no real thought cause i have no WiFi at home. But i bet its cool to walk around and use other peoples internet connection... But thats why i have no WiFi, its too unsecure for me

Maybe i will try that Networkbridge, but its not a perfect solution, if i have the usb cable connected i am already infront of my pc.

I hope someone will develop some software that you can use just bluetooth for that, it worked okay with my 3650 with a blank GPRS connection. I just had to place my Bluetooth dongle close to the window so i could surf outside.

I also tryed the Mobile Movie Maker, but the converter did some strange stuff to the movie. But when i played a little around with Smartmovie and encoded the files smaller than the actual display it streched them in playback and it seemed better. Just have to fiddle a bit around with encoding i think.

I played a bit around with Picodrive (Sega Genesis Emulator). Very nice piece of software! Runs not anything, but cannonfodder runs very good and works very nice with the joystick if you set your controls right. Nearly as playing with mouse.

I wonder if it would be possible to patch Mobile Civilisation to work with 9300/9500. I would try if i had any clue how to program stuff...

Old 03-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
WiFi is actually quite secure, it's people without a clue installing it and not setting up the security that makes it insecure. I never had WiFI until I got my 9500, investment in a WiFI access point came swiftly after the 9500.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Maybe i will give Legacy a try.
Be warned. It is seriously addictive.

Not the least the little card-game you can play in the taverns...

Quote:
Exchanging for a 9500... Not sure if and how that is possible.
The 9300 should be easy to sell for a good price in the classifieds, since it is a rather new model and - as opposed to the 9500 that is often percieved as "boring" and "klutzy" by those not in need of its special abilities - it definitely has a high cool-factor.

Quote:
But thats why i have no WiFi, its too unsecure for me
In case it becomes relevant for you, I can state that the 9500 works fine with WEP-ecryption (prevents others from listening in) and MAC-filter (prevents unauthorized access to the network). Thus I feel that my WIFI-net is quite secure.

I'm using a Linksys WAP54G wireless access point which was the cheapest they had in the store at the time, but it should work fine with any IEEE 802.11b compliant device.

Last edited by Jowls; 06-06-2005 at 11:21 AM.

Old 16-06-2005, 04:48 AM

truffle1234 is on a distinguished road
if you have asked some questing on the Forums people could help you before you decied to buy the phone....

i think you should have gotten 9500 insted of 9300...

i am not sure abouth the games and videos as i bought the 9500 puer for business... and communication only...

the wifi is great and i can check my mails every where...

Old 17-06-2005, 10:01 AM
nar008

9300... i?

Hey,
I am not quite happy with my 9300 either. I feel the software lags much more than it should, given the version it is. ALso, is it true that the 9300 "i" is due out soon???

Old 17-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nar008
I feel the software lags much more than it should
Just avoid that Exit key. Keeping the apps open will let you toggle between them without any major lags.

Quote:
given the version it is. ALso, is it true that the 9300 "i" is due out soon???
Nah.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson
Ads

Old 17-06-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nar008
Hey,
I am not quite happy with my 9300 either. I feel the software lags much more than it should....
If you mean that the phone feels "slow" or "sluggish" when starting programs it could be due to excessive use of the exit-button.

One noteable feature with Symbian is how well it multitasks. Because so many of us are used to working with systems that have inferior capabilities in this field (I didnt say Microsoft, did I? ) we instinctively uset the exit-button in the knowledge that performance will suffer, if we dont.

But Symbian is different. Try not to exit the aplications that feels slow to you - instead simply switch away from them after use. The next time you need them, they will pop up almost instantaneously, and you wont feel any difference in the overall speed of the phone.

br. Jowls

Old 20-06-2005, 09:08 AM

Tsungwi is on a distinguished road
Smile 9300 google and hotmail

Hi there,

Decided the 9300 against 9500, so far so good, just waiting for devpack for 9300, all that applications will never be enough. There is always something that is lacking. Just now, had this problem with mail from either hotmail and google, able to sign in but that is all it will not automatically resume prior to sign-in request.

Post this here to understand whether this the same problem as the google issue that you once faced and whether installing that jmirc will rejuvenate the mailer. Expectation from this 9300 is not very high so disappointment is not life threatening.

TW

Old 10-10-2006, 10:57 PM

timothytripp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowls
That is not quite correct. It does exist - it is called Network Bridge and you can get it here...

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-881,00.html

Whether it works or not I cant tell since I havent actually tried it myself.
The link seems to have moved. You can now find it here...

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...ridge.zip.html

(found by searching for "Network Bridge" in the Nokia site search). I tried it and it does work, but it is REALLY a pain to set-up and you can't do both IP Pass-through and PC Suite at the same time. The PDF file explains how to set everything up.

Note: The RNDIS drivers for the 9300 and 9500 are included.